Bushcraft Etiquette (resurrected)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I see that there are some retro-fitting LED devices for older flashlights to extend battery life.
Anyone here fitting those for use? I have 2 x 6VDC old camp lights that I'd like to smarten up.
Then they won't make such a ridiculous pool of wasted light.

If the new campers must get their video fix, I don't really care what they're missing.
Just as long as I don't have to hear it.
They will nevr notice the bear, snuffling along the edge of their tent.

Reactions: Janne

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
AC825736-2FD7-4192-93F6-636492F50E4F.jpeg 572EE126-FF69-4621-8CF0-FA4712E89FC8.jpeg
I see that there are some retro-fitting LED devices for older flashlights to extend battery life.
Anyone here fitting those for use? I have 2 x 6VDC old camp lights that I'd like to smarten up..

I have this older light, marked D.B. Ltd L.E. No 4, that I fitted a 4.5v led to and a AA battery pack instead of the flat 4.5v battery (can buy them, just fancied using the pack). It has two filters, red and green, works a treat.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The one thing about the old bulb type as against L. E.D.versions is that they can be used to start a fire if you have a bit of steel wool in your firelighting kit. Just unscrew the bulb and put a bit of the steel wool in the bulb space. You get a lovely glowing bit of steel wool which can be transferred to a tinder bundle. Very quick way to start a fire.

Reactions: JohnC and Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I still have an old petzel headlamp that I used for backup when I used to go caving. It has the square battery on the back of the head strap. Very heavy uncomfortable and clumsy in comparison to modern headlamps. But it was fine on my caving helmet. Can not easily find those sort of batteries nowadays. Must admit a couple of AA batteries take up less room in my ditty bag and are much lighter too.

Reactions: Janne

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I still have an old petzel headlamp that I used for backup when I used to go caving. It has the square battery on the back of the head strap. Very heavy uncomfortable and clumsy in comparison to modern headlamps. But it was fine on my caving helmet. Can not easily find those sort of batteries nowadays. Must admit a couple of AA batteries take up less room in my ditty bag and are much lighter too.
I was a petzl zoom user too. Much more choice now!

They did do a converter that meant it could take AA batteries instead. I don't remember exactly but think that flat battery was either 4.5v or 6v?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes that old petzel reminds me of many happy hours spelunking in the Mendips Usually Burrington Coombe. Goat church being my favorite cave. Oh those were the days!