Bushcraft drill and axe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
Trap making, shelter making, cooking, those kinds of things. Mostly I'm looking for drill bits that I can run by making handles to them. Granfors Bruks are great! I have a Weterlings axe that's awesome as well.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suggest a single tapered handle that accepts multiple Auger bits

Auger Handle and Auger Bits by British Red, on Flickr

The alternative is an eyed Auger like the two bottom ones shown here (one barrel eye and one integral) - the handles for these can be made on site

Large Auger Set by British Red, on Flickr

You can get a barrel eye that slips over the tapered bits (from a brace and bit). I would not suggest seaching for this useful thing though - I have only ever seen one - and Tombear found it for me :)

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
I suggest a single tapered handle that accepts multiple Auger bits

Auger Handle and Auger Bits by British Red, on Flickr

The alternative is an eyed Auger like the two bottom ones shown here (one barrel eye and one integral) - the handles for these can be made on site

Large Auger Set by British Red, on Flickr

You can get a barrel eye that slips over the tapered bits (from a brace and bit). I would not suggest seaching for this useful thing though - I have only ever seen one - and Tombear found it for me :)

Where can such a thing be found?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
From what I remember of braces and bits, the chuck will not really grip a small drill well, I have a small hand drill, other than that it is the awl on my SAK farmer, though unfortunately I broke the tip of that recently and had to reprofile it.
A bit and brace is only for use with auger bits, with the tapered square end.

A decent bit and brace is a beautiful tool. I have one I keep meaning to restore someday.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
A bit and brace is only for use with auger bits, with the tapered square end.

A decent bit and brace is a beautiful tool. I have one I keep meaning to restore someday.

I've got one in the shed.i bought when I first started my joiner apprenticeship 20 odd years ago.its hardly been used as cordless drills started too take over round about then.you Re right though with a super sharp bit their very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tylerjwhite

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2013
USA
I've got one in the shed.i bought when I first started my joiner apprenticeship 20 odd years ago.its hardly been used as cordless drills started too take over round about then.you Re right though with a super sharp bit their very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever it takes right!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE