Bushcraft dog kit.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I am in the process of trying to put together some kit to allow one of my faithful hounds to come out on a few overnighters and wanted some input on what others take along. I have had a doggy back pack, similar to the one pictured, for a while now but was wondering what people use as far as sleep systems are used, eg sleep mats etc. and a list of other essential items.

41RfGOWzetL.jpg

This is not my dog, by the way.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Mine comes everywhere with me and all I use is an old but good quality wool blanket folded in a hessian sack for a bed - she more often than not finds her own spot, but she knows it's there if needed or when it really is very cold. I personally hate the dog pack things, for me there's a wierd feeling of a loss of dignity, hard to explain but I like the dog to be running about unencumbered.

The one thing I am very careful about is her feet/pads; although she's out all day every day and very often all night, I pay close attention to the ground we walk over, and if we go to the Beacons or similar for a few days, I make sure to walk her about on stony groung for a good few days prior to the trip. Their pads get conditioned to the type of ground they've been on recently and if you're on the hill and you#ve got a dog with pad problems, you're in trouble! There are boots to be had, and I believe the mountain rescue use them on their dogs, but they're not cheap.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Sound advice. My dogs love having the 'dog panniers' on but each to there own. Most wouldn't. That's the thing with dogs. Anything to make you happy. Mine are fairly hardy when it comes to pad problems. I've had split pads where they haven't whimpered and I've only noticed cos of blood on the floor. I'd still take a FAK. Any other equipment though?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Having a Doberman, Hammock stays at home and I take a two man tent. Usually take a piece of sleeping matt and a large towel for a bed, and also throw in my jumper / clothes from that day for insulation that Im not going to be wearing the next day. He tends to get really cold at nights and I leave him at home when its really cold.

Still looking for a solution to train my dog to sleep in his own little tent of some sort so I can just hammock it.

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
Having a Doberman, Hammock stays at home and I take a two man tent. Usually take a piece of sleeping matt and a large towel for a bed, and also throw in my jumper / clothes from that day for insulation that Im not going to be wearing the next day. He tends to get really cold at nights and I leave him at home when its really cold.

Still looking for a solution to train my dog to sleep in his own little tent of some sort so I can just hammock it.

If you are looking for a tent for the dog have at look at these
http://www.doghaus.co.uk/dogbag-10-c.asp
I have them for our dogs and they can be used all year round . Only down side is they are a bit heavy .

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Snoop%2520of%2520the%2520wild%2520frontier.jpg

My now passed Jack, Snoop with his panniers on. Didn't like them at first but quickly associated them with heading off for a few days. They had built in water bladders, and he used to carry the following: -
Tin of paw wax (if the going was abrasive)
dog first aid kit
food
micro towel
ball
collapsible water/food bowl
tin of bubbles - entertainment for him and me!
small blanket (did have a dog sized sleeping bag to strap to outside - but tended to sneak into my bag)
Poo bags
lead
treats.

Never put any of my kit in, but was happy for him to carry his kit. ( I believe that the archaic law of not being able to use a dog as a beast of burden is still applicable in England!)

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Snoop%2520of%2520the%2520wild%2520frontier.jpg

My now passed Jack, Snoop with his panniers on. Didn't like them at first but quickly associated them with heading off for a few days. They had built in water bladders, and he used to carry the following: -
Tin of paw wax (if the going was abrasive)
dog first aid kit
food
micro towel
ball
collapsible water/food bowl
tin of bubbles - entertainment for him and me!
small blanket (did have a dog sized sleeping bag to strap to outside - but tended to sneak into my bag)
Poo bags
lead
treats.

Never put any of my kit in, but was happy for him to carry his kit. ( I believe that the archaic law of not being able to use a dog as a beast of burden is still applicable in England!)

That's exactly what I was after. What items did you pack in the FAK?

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I had a Jack Russell and the only thing he ever wore was a flotation jacket in the canoe, but a pack on a big dog for sure.
Some stuff a dogman once told me about was some dogs with a thin skin and or coat like Whippets and Lurcher's are especially prone to torn skin injuries and tail whip bamage so he recommended this stuff.
Surgical skin stapler.
Kalua honey for treating wounds.
Twesers
One injury that seems quite common is dogs running or jumping through barbed wire fences particularly in the old family jewels area,
OUCH very nasty.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE