Bushcraft diary

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've got to thinking that maybe I should begin a bushcraft diary. I kinda like the idea of writing down my experiences, maybe to have as a keepsake or maybe I harbour wistful dreams of passing it onto my son, I don't know.... or should I use it as a reference guide? Maybe I should use it to write notes during my trips out so that it can add to anything I write in the 'Out and About' section, as I must admit that I have enjoyed putting together the 2 or three write ups there....

Does anyone use a diary? What do you use it for? Is it handy or just another thing to carry.....

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't keep a diary but I keep a notebook to record stuff that I learn or experience. It's not as structured as I thought it would be but has useful stuff for me to go back to.

This year I've started a 366 project. I have to take one photograph every day that best describes the day (normally it's a 365 project :) ). It doesn't have to be a gallery quality photo, just something that truly represents the day.

Reactions: CLEM

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Mmm.... food for thought..... I may or may not start a diary..... or most probably more accurately, a scribble book..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you do a search for journals, there are loads of ideas around. Lot of folks make their own leather covers, that kind of thing.

It must be going around though, because I've taken one photo a day since Ne'erday and I've sewn one patchwork block a day since then too. Both just representative of the day :)

M

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I use a plain old note book, not as a diary per se, but rather a means of documenting things like kit lists, plans for my monthly camping trips and lessons learnt. I never actually take my note book out on my adventures though, I just refer to it when I make plans in between outings. There is after all a modicum of pleasure to be taken from the planning aspect.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I always have a notebook with me on trips out and away on multi-day trips to record the events of the day and also comment on the way things - kit, gear and me - are working. I also have an address book in which I write down the plants, trees and fungi that I encounter and identify accurately. This usually includes their common name as well as the taxonomic one and has notes on distinguishing marks and uses. Because it's in an address book, I find that I often write the same entry twice - once for the common name and once for the taxonomic - but rather than finding it inconvenient, I think it helps me remember both names better.

With a diary, I think I would have lots of blank pages when I'm not out and about; but maybe I should keep one - after all, the dogs always need walking and it would be good to pay closer attention to my surroundings when out with them through all the seasons.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not the same but I have started a bullet journal. It's a form of planner but can be whatever you want of it. You can have collections in it like projects or even long form journalling trips. Just don't look at the artsy versions if you Google it you might get put off.

Yes, I keep a journal. It has proven extremely valuable. I record things I observe, questions to research when I get home from the trail, notes from classes, the location of wild edible plants, etc...

When I am disciplined, I use the Grinnell System. Since I am bad at art, I paste in photographs that I take to accompany my notes.

Here is an article on reasons you should journal, the biggest obstacles, and the Grinnell System. It also has pictures of journal pages from three people, including myself.

5 Reasons Why You Should Keep a Journal (and my secret for how to do it!)

Hope this helps!

- Woodsorrel

Reactions: Van-Wild

Nomad666

Nov 6, 2015
BC Canada
On my 7th notebook/journal goes like this things I want to do, things I am doing, things I have done, well thats pretty much it...
And yes I have gone back to look things up the memory is not as sharp as it once was after 60 years of this bushcraft stuff...
Still find it interesting always something new to try great memories and friends new old and passed on....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE