Bushcraft /cano trip to Sweden in mai

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob Hofman

Mar 3, 2004
Hallo,

I am planning a Bushcraft cano trip to Sweden in May togheter whith my friend Marc. We want to practice basic Bushcraft skills and some Fishing. We are thinking about the Ostergotland region , i know someone who has caught a lot of pike overthere. Does anyone has good tips about cano rental and locations overthere?

Does anyone know of it is possible to obtain a trapping/snaring license for foreigners in Sweden.

cheers Rob

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Rob Hofman said:
Hallo,

I am planning a Bushcraft cano trip to Sweden in May togheter whith my friend Marc. We want to practice basic Bushcraft skills and some Fishing. We are thinking about the Ostergotland region , i know someone who has caught a lot of pike overthere. Does anyone has good tips about cano rental and locations overthere?

Does anyone know of it is possible to obtain a trapping/snaring license for foreigners in Sweden.

cheers Rob

trapping and snaring you can only do in the 4 upper regions of sweden, mainly lapland. To do it you will have to go a course which now and then are organised.
I have a liccense to educate people to catch "Ripa" with a snare. Its a one day course theoretical and practical ending up that you get a fångstkort. The same you will have to do to be allowed to catch fox with a snare.

Still, you will have to pay the goverment and the owner of the land a fee before you can put up your traps. As all of that is only allowed in wintertime I dont think you will be able to do some trapping in your holidays. If you want to fish instead, go to the local hunting shop, the post, or gasoline station and ask for a fishing permit in the area you are planning to do the fishing.

Thats the way it is organized here in sweden.

hope the info helps you a bit
yours
Abbe

Rob Hofman

Mar 3, 2004
Thanks Abe and Marts for your quick reply , no trapping this holiday . Last year i went to Jamtland i like the system off fishing permits in Sweden very much ,Like Abe said you can get the permits almost everywere prices are nice too.

This summer i am going with my wife and kids to Jamtland for 4 weeks holiday, we are also going to look for a cottage and a small piece of ground .( Our dream)

Cheers Rob

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
I myself have applied for the cabin host course this summer. I have not yet gotten the answer back, but I am hoping for it. I guess a month or more away from computers and stuff will do me good :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Nicklas Odh said:
I myself have applied for the cabin host course this summer. I have not yet gotten the answer back, but I am hoping for it. I guess a month or more away from computers and stuff will do me good :)

Hi mate,
whats that course, could you tell me please about it? Where are you from in sweden?

greatings from Gällivare
Abbe

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Rob Hofman said:
Hallo,
i know someone who has caught a lot of pike overthere.

cheers Rob

Is it legal to kill Pike in Sweden? I always found it a bit idiotic that pike is not eaten in Britain and Ireland.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
anthonyyy said:
Is it legal to kill Pike in Sweden? I always found it a bit idiotic that pike is not eaten in Britain and Ireland.

Legal??? How is it in your country? Here we have tooooo much of them, its a kind of rubish fish.

Yes we catch them but only the little ones are eaten.

cheers
Abbe

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Abbe Osram said:
Legal??? How is it in your country? Here we have tooooo much of them, its a kind of rubish fish.

Yes we catch them but only the little ones are eaten.

cheers
Abbe

In Ireland you can catch them but you have to put them back. This is called "coarse fishing" as opposed to "game fishing" - fishing for trout, salmon etc.

Local anglers are complaining about immigrants from eastern europe catching and eating pike. I can't see what all the fuss is about myself.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
anthonyyy said:
In Ireland you can catch them but you have to put them back. This is called "coarse fishing" as opposed to "game fishing" - fishing for trout, salmon etc.

Local anglers are complaining about immigrants from eastern europe catching and eating pike. I can't see what all the fuss is about myself.

Thats wirred, why would you catch something and make it suffer and then put it back into the water. I dont get it. We often too use a kind of trap set through the icehole. A old man told me that it is stupid to throw the fish back as 80 percent die anyhow. Even if you wet your hands, specially here when you get the fishes out of the ice hole the skin gets a shock from the cold air and he told me that most of them die.
I even take out the too small fishes and eat them all.

cheers
Abbe

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
It’s more complicated than you would think. You can only fish for certain fish species at specific times of the year example you can’t fish for brown trout from the middle of October till the middle of March. A bit like a hunting season.

In Scotland people class pike in different ways pest (trout and salmon guys) or specimen fish (pike guys), I do some pike fishing and they go back. There is no closed season for pike in Scotland that I know about.

Most of the waters in Scotland you also need to buy a permit to fish, some for the season and some for the day. These can vary from £5. a day to £30,000. a day on some salmon rivers.

Most fish will survive being put back and live depending on how they were caught.

This Easter if going to place I know about in the highlands for a couple of days where you don’t need to pay for fishing, big trout and pike. :D

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Rob Hofman said:
Hallo,

cheers Rob

Have a look here http://www.kanotguiden.com/canoeing.htm if you get the time, see if you can visit a place called Omberg. The Swedish Survival Guild have courses there and I know Håkan Strotz lives somewhere around there too and that guy lives the bushcraft life, his homepage http://www.urnatur.se

Rob Hofman

Mar 3, 2004
Thanks Viking for the kanotguiden very interresting stuff. Do you know the region near Kinda kanal in ostergotlan . I have heard there is a lot of fish down there.

cheers Rob

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Rob Hofman said:
Thanks Viking for the kanotguiden very interresting stuff. Do you know the region near Kinda kanal in ostergotlan . I have heard there is a lot of fish down there.

cheers Rob

Can´t say I do, Småland and Västra Götaland is the places I know best her in Sweden.
There is a lot of fish in many many places in Sweden =)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE