Bushcraft /cano trip to Sweden in mai

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Topcat02 said:
£30,000 a day for Salmon fishing! :eek:

Geese! I have to find some of these folks to guide!

Truth is, After commerical fishing in Alaska when I was younger - I can't stand the taste of salmon. Too rich! I'm not too fond of trout either, except brook trout. Give me a walleye pike or northern pike any day. We eat them all. Even the small ones we grind up and use in fish cakes. Very odd how different people view different fish. To me, walleyes and northerns are the king of game fish!

We have one small inland lake that has salmon. No one knows of it except the family. One of my ancestors planted the first salmon, taken from Lake Superior. It is very hard to get there. The salmon have to fished in a very particular way - at one precise spot. As I don't like salmon, I only go when I'm with cousins who like salmon.

PG

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
Abbe Osram said:
What I understood is that they throw them back into the water.
But why I dont know, if I understand it right they are not allowed to kill and eat them.

//abbe
There are around 5 million fishermen in britain myself included, if we were all to kill are catch the rivers would soon be empty. There are not the great numbers of fish their once were in our waterways due to pollution, cormorants, crayfish etc. Fishing is growing in England all the time with alot of fisherman ,fishing man made puddles for carp so its also big bucks, some carp can cost thousands of pounds.
To me fishing is about getting away from everyone, catch a few fish seeing a bit of nature and just relaxing, also you would'nt want to eat half the fish that come out of our river system.
I have ate perch and some of my friend use to sell pike to the local chinese.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
amott69 said:
There are around 5 million fishermen in britain myself included, if we were all to kill are catch the rivers would soon be empty. There are not the great numbers of fish their once were in our waterways due to pollution, cormorants, crayfish etc. Fishing is growing in England all the time with alot of fisherman ,fishing man made puddles for carp so its also big bucks, some carp can cost thousands of pounds.
To me fishing is about getting away from everyone, catch a few fish seeing a bit of nature and just relaxing, also you would'nt want to eat half the fish that come out of our river system.
I have ate perch and some of my friend use to sell pike to the local chinese.

I understand your problem and respect your choice of sport. But talking only for me I would not like to fish or hunt if I dont eat it. If I like to shoot but not eating the animals I would go on the shooting range and shoot on clay doves.
Fishing would not make sense for me. I believe I would sit and paint landscapes or do something else instead of fishing, casting them back would be wirred to me. Even if someone wrote here that it is safe to throw fishes back, I guess, because it is so cold here that we believe the fishes die anyhow. Even if you make your hands wet their slem protection gets hurt through the freezing cold air when we pull them out of the water.

Anyhow, that is only my point of view!
There is no right or wrong.

Happy fishing to all
cheers
Abbe

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I know it must seem weird to you but i had to reply and tell you that most fish don't die, not here anyhow some fish here have been named because of there size and there almost celebrities amongst the local fisherman

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Might be that it is too cold here, for playing around with them.
But it would be very interesting to see a study made. Do you know if there exists a real scientific study about sport fishing and throwing the fish back?
Or is it only wish thinking from the sport fishing community.

all the best
cheers
Abbe

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I m sure there is, the british record barbel is called "the traveller" and "red belly" be for her. The record carp caught in the sixties was kept at london zoo until she died many years later. A number of known fish have broken records more than once. I once caught a small Perch and it had taken the hook right down i was gutted so I cut the line above the hook and put it back, about 3 hours later I caught the same fish again with my hook still in its stomach this time i managed to remove the hook.
I was gobsmacked that the fish survived, let alone be feeding again so soon.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
amott69 said:
I m sure there is, the british record barbel is called "the traveller" and "red belly" be for her. The record carp caught in the sixties was kept at london zoo until she died many years later. A number of known fish have broken records more than once. I once caught a small Perch and it had taken the hook right down i was gutted so I cut the line above the hook and put it back, about 3 hours later I caught the same fish again with my hook still in its stomach this time i managed to remove the hook.
I was gobsmacked that the fish survived, let alone be feeding again so soon.

:) :) You see, they dont learn, stupid fish, you should eat them! :D :D
have fun
cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE