Bushcraft Bloopers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
The moral of the story: if you're going to carry wet chlorine (water purifying) tablets in your pack all day, be sure the plastic bag does not have a hole in it.

The story? You can guess. :roll:

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i still haven't read something about charcloth and table cloths :p

i can't really think of a blooper i made. I did once walked on a trail right next a river which was 5 meters lower and than suddenly i was hugging a tree, right knee on the trail other leg dangeling and my "thirth leg" in a rather uncomfortable position... i was wearing a 15 KG pack, too...

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Found out what an anti-gravity pot holder was and tried it out. And guess what? I did the exact same thing as Justin Time and cut the notches the wrong way ... :roll:

I'm having no luck with wooden potholders! I think it's a lack of decent wood to choose from. Almost getting tempted to go for a metal tripod ... :shock: but luckily Adi007 stepped in and made me a good solid tripod out of some old conifer branches. :super: Hopefully it won't catch fire while my back is turned...

Never really used skewers over a real fire before (rather than a BBQ). Last night all my kebabs fell into the fire when the support sticks burnt through (luckily they still tasted good after scraping the ashes off! :wink:)

Tonight's were better and as usual it's all down to practice! Practice! Practice! Practice! And patience too. I have to remind myself that I get better each time I do things, learning little tricks along the way like skewering chunks of meat as far apart as possible and using really THICK branches as the supports.

(And not to switch to metal skewers coz they get REALLY hot and you can't grab ahold of them like the wooden ones!! :shock: :nono:)

It's all fun innit? And a sense of humour is essential ... :rolmao:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
And not to switch to metal skewers coz they get REALLY hot and you can't grab ahold of them like the wooden ones!!

the advantage of that is that it ensures your meat is cooked through. you can also use the skewers as a precarious pot stand. :eek:): i tend to use leather gloves or a hat or bandanna for handling stuff off the fire.

cheers, and.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi kath a good tip i picked up on one of my many trip's to madiera is to use wooden file handle's on my skewers i never get burnd now but have burnd the odd handle or two hope that helps :wave:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Darn it I did it again! My really thick (!) cross bars/skewar supports burned through last night and the whole kit and kaboodle collapsed into the fire again. :lol: Saved the dinner luckily... :)

(Any tricks anyone? Green wood perhaps??)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
While testing some cattail down with a firesteel in wales I fluffed it and popped it on the ground so my buddy could see the technique. It didn't occur to me how it had been blazing hot for 2 days (in Wales...I know) and the grass was pretty dry. So I sent a shower of sparks sizzling into the cattail fluff and the grass around immediately burst into flame. So there were we doing the Native American Fire Dance, stamping out the grass fire that was zipping along the footpath.... How embarrassed??. The ironic thing was, the cattail fluff was unscathed !! :shock:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
:rolmao: That's just too funny!

Although it does highlight just how flammable things can get after just a little sun!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Kath said:
..snip..
(And not to switch to metal skewers coz they get REALLY hot and you can't grab ahold of them like the wooden ones!! :shock: :nono:)..snip..

Not a very bushy tale, but I am Mr. BBQ when we're on holiday. Twice per day, every day, it's barbecue time. Black pudding, sausage, kebabs, tomatoes, onions, everything (except lettuce) goes on there. I've even started doing the coffee on the BBQ.

I have some long skewers, about 14" (35cm). I'm not sure what you'd call the section; sort of oval, but pointy, like two convex-ground knives spine to spine. I put bay handles on them; short lengths, about 2" (5cm) × 1/2" (1.25cm).

I also have some shorter skewers, that have a ring at one end, are square in section, and twisted. I use a small stick with a side shoot to hook these to pick them up.

To grab hold of the other end of a skewer, you can make a thing like an old-fashioned clothes peg, that you push over the metal to grab it.

Otherwise, like the other poster said: take gloves with you. They're always useful for getting through thorny patches.

Keith.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Last night my pothanger collapsed dropping a billy full of water onto the fire...

I did the same thing Kath, except the circumstances were worse. Myself and my dad had finally found a spot after walking with lots of equiptment for what seemed and eternity.

As he was pitching the tent, we were both very cold and very thirsty. "cup of tea?" so i made a huge thing of water and just as it came to the boil and i was about to poor it...splash, out goes the fire. Happened a few times that weekend.

Cheers,

Jake

Fatbloke

Aug 10, 2004
Essex
I went on a 4 day dog sled trip into the mountains in Sweden a few years ago with a guide. 2 days into the trip, almost at the point of no return, we stopped for a brew up and to give the dogs a break.

I was in charge of the food and had not screwed the lid on the fuel bottle properly after breakfast. Paraffin was sloshing around the box containing the stove, fuel can and supplies.

There I was, a dumb Englishman, in the middle of a snowy somewhere with a distinctly unhappy Swede. Fortunately we managed to salvage some of the fuel and enough of the food was untainted to last until we got back to a cabin where we refreshed the supplies.

We did actually laugh about it later but I still have cold sweats about it. It's easy to see how people get in trouble in the great outdoors.

jakunen

Native
Here's a different sort of blooper...
Told my mum I wanted to use the 45l Berghaus pack I'd lent her some time ago but it would need cleaning.

Last night I heard a load double bang just as I was dropping off the sleep.
Rushed downstairs to find she'd put it in the washing machine! :yikes:
The door had come open and flooded the kitchen floor and the straps of the pack were flailing around whipping the patio doors.

Moral of the story - whilst mothers can be helpful, NEVER trust them with you camping gear :nono:

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Once some time ago I was making a ghillie suit, and I read somewhere about putting it through the washing machine to "fluff it up" - regretably, and being the eager-beaver i was, I didn't read the disclaimer which mentioned that it has the potential to bung your machine up with hessian and fluff for weeks to come. My mother went mental!

Since then my single worst blooper occured when I was bashering up with a friend. They threw a log onto our raging inferno of a fire (Very unprofessional!), which sent a shower of sparks skyward. We thought nothing of it at the time. But, latter that night, when we climbed into our pits we realised we could see stars throught the basha sheet - literally hundreds of little burn marks where the sparks had melted through the sheets leaving lots of tiny little wholes!!!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just to dig up an old thread again.

I lent a mate my spare tarp on Thursday night as he doesn`t have his own. After an half an hour of progging for wood we thought we should put up the shelters as it was starting to get dark.

I chucked him the tarp from my pack and after a couple of minutes he said " I don`t get this, how do I tie it up". Thinking he`d just forgotten his knots I went over to give him a hand, it was then I realised I`d taken off all the cordage for another project. Oops !

We managed to bodge it with some pine roots at either end.

Rich

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Just to dig up an old thread again.

I lent a mate my spare tarp on Thursday night as he doesn`t have his own. After an half an hour of progging for wood we thought we should put up the shelters as it was starting to get dark.

I chucked him the tarp from my pack and after a couple of minutes he said " I don`t get this, how do I tie it up". Thinking he`d just forgotten his knots I went over to give him a hand, it was then I realised I`d taken off all the cordage for another project. Oops !

We managed to bodge it with some pine roots at either end.

Rich

:lol: No no, what you mean is you purposely left the cordage at home to practice your root cordage skills in the field. :lmao:

Nag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE