Bushcraft Bloopers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've done the bull rush one re: tinder...ended up with a sac full of maggots.
Luckily i'd emptied it and only a few got out of the liner but they did manage to chew holes in it.

B

bushyboo

i put some bull rush heads on the radiator to dry them out a bit ended up with lots of little fluffy things all around the house swmbo was not a happy bunny she wanst very happy when i stank the house out making an antler whistle in the kitchen with the dremmel either

gordon

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Drove 3 hours one January to a winter fur trade era gathering. 2 to 3 feet of snow everywhere, and temps expected to be 10 to 20 degrees below zero (Ferenheit) for the whole weekend. Got there, started setting up my camp, and found out I forgot my tent canvas! My buddy was a bit ... um ... upset. No problem. I just dug out the shovel and hollowed out one of the snowbanks. Used a spare blanket to cover our "door". We actually had a pretty nice "camp".

Another time, we went to another winter fur trade gathering. Got there, and my buddy had forgot the tent poles. Well, we searched a bit along the edge of the timber and found a likely looking clump of bushes. Threw our tarp up over it, crawled inside following the rabbit trails, and had another nice camp.

Or having the snow field we set up camp in MELT the next day into 6 inches of slush! Bailing out the firepit every 20 minutes to keep our fire from floating away was a new experience. At least the rising creek never got closer than 3 feet to us. The guys farther down the hill had to move in their camps in the middle of the night to stay "dry".

A friend and his 8 year old daughter came for a visit a couple winters ago. After spending a couple hours roaming the hills looking for shed deer antlers (SHE found more than we did!), he sacked out on the coach while I taught her how to use flint and steel to start a fire - on the livingroom carpet. The carpet never was in danger (no matter how he tells it), but he woke up to a room full of smoke! OK, we then went outside and talked her through making the whole fire. And then roasted hotdogs.

Then there's all the times I was sewing up a shirt/jacket/pants/tent/tarp when I also sewed it to the leg of my pants. Or the time I finished up my new ditty-bag, stuffed it full, and then had the bottom fall out (put my stitches too close to the edge and they pulled out).

Or the time my buddy brought along shredded and dried potatoes from the store - so that he could make potato pancakes. He put them in water to re-hydrate. They turned orange. There were CARROTS and he hates carrots! The bushes were suddenly decorated with orange streamers. So he then decided to make cornmeal mush - for the whole camp. He got a one gallon pot of water simmering, and got several other guys lined up to "stir the pot" the moment he poured in the cornmeal. Well, he poured in his whole bag of cornmeal! They all commenced to stirring - franticly! All of a sudden, the cornmeal set up SOLID. One wood spoon broke, and the others almost had to be chipped out. Two of those guys won't eat cornmeal to this day.

And then there were the hid tanning "experiments", the tries at dying cloth and leather with walnuts. Or putting up a 16 foot by 56 foot long military surplus tent with no instructions, parts missing, and no help.

And the stories can go on and on ...

Just some of the fun I've had and shared with buddies over the years.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. I try to forget that last time we munched half-cooked muskrat after dark in the drizzle and sleet. It has a way of coming back on ya an hour or so later. The adult berverages didn't help.

p.p.s. But I never fell out of any tree I was sleeping in, nor off of any bar top that I decided to take a nap on - unlike several buddies of mine.

Eido

Dec 10, 2007
Essex, England
Tying 'temporary' loops in my hammock tapes to get a feel for how to set up using 'biners. Forgetting the temporary nature of the loops and applying 17 stones of weight onto those nice loops.

Spending an hour with a knitting needle trying to un-weld the knots in my hammock tapes :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE