"Bushcraft" Axe Conundrum (Hultafors Classic Hunter vs. Gransfors Small Forest)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
To the Axe-meisters out there...

Torn between the everso slightly and head heavier (850g) Hultafors Classic Hunting Axe vs. The ubiquitous Gruffalo Bruks Small Forest Axe (680g)

http://www.originalequipmentshop.com/knives__tools/classic_hunting_or_forest_axe/24764_p.html
http://www.originalequipmentshop.com/knives__tools/the_small_forest_axe/24434_p.html

I don't think I have enough brass or patience to wait for the Wilderness (out of stock) and, whilst looking it's equal the GBR Scandanavian seem a bit long to shove into a pack... so I'm compromising slightly in length but is my logic about the heavier Classic right in terms of punching above the small forest in weight or is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks

J

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm not a fan of the SFA and i haven't tried the Hultafors.

IMO a heavier than normal (600 - 800g head) hatchet is a better tool as i find the handle length on the SFA to be cumbersome when you wanna use it one handed and inadequate when you want to use it with two.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
None of the above for me.

Go smaller and lighter for backpacking (40cm helve 500g head), longer for winter fuel (60cm helve for two handed use)

That 50cm length is good for neither

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Hi Jon first off I have never owned or used the above axes but I have used a lot of axes. What do you plan to use it for because felling, splitting or carving. Any axe that has to do it all will be a compromise. I have a Scandinavian forest and that's great but I would not want to carve a spoon with it, i also have a mini it's great for carving spoons and does cut above its weight but would I want to fell a tree with it.
If you have never owned an axe before I think your best bet is to start with a cheap axe or a second hand one off eBay. That way you can learn to sharpen it and find out what you need it to do, your uses may change as you try out the axe.
Hope this helps Mark.

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
Not looking to carve but am looking to chop and split smaller wood in the field (I have bit splitting mauls and felling axes and hatchets I keep at home...)

Thanks for the opinions - any thought between the models themselves?

Jon

Last edited:
N

Nomad

The Hultafors can be had for about 20 quid less on Amazon.

It has the same head weight as the Hultafors HY20 I just got (26", 65cm handle length, weighs 1.26kg total). Not used yet, but that feels nicely balanced in two hands. If I move the lower hand up to SFA/Hunter length, it doesn't feel so good for two hands - all sort of choked up and a bit cramped. (Not tried the SFA or Hunter, but I'm becoming more glad that I went for the HY20.)

The HY20 is too long to go into my Sabre 75, but straps onto the outside very neatly.

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
Hi Nomad,

Not disagreeing at all in terms of price but the site had both so seemed a good place to compare.

I'm hoping someone might have both or been in a similar position and put me straight.

Will look at Roselli

J

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The extra 3cm length and 170g definitely takes the Hultafors closer to full two handed axe territory and would be my choice so long as I didn't have to carry it far. I would always favour a short handled light hatchet if I had to carry it unless I had great loads of firewood to process.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Roselli just to trow another spanner in the works.

They're not really in the same league unless you want dedicated splitting axes surely.

I can only echo what others have said, ultimately all axes are a compromise in one way or another. A hatchet is best suited to the majority of bushcrafters. Especially when coupled with a small saw.

;)

Andy

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
get a popular branded one in the size/shape/weight you think you might like and have heard good things about and just pick whatever you can afford.

DSCF3825.jpg

I find the small forest axe pretty decent for my needs, and I know alot of people say it's not great at anything due to length weight compromises but unless you have a bigger logs to chop at home, or have big log fires in the woods it will do it all just fine. If anything I'd say go smaller, as the sfa can do bigger jobs but the smaller ones like carving and finer stuff can tire your wrist pretty fast.

You might do better with the faithful husky: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Husqvarna-Hatchet/dp/B001U6QSZY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362351239&sr=8-2 it's cheap, well made and will do any reasonable job you'd encounter when out and about.

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
I went on a hunch with the slightly longer and heavier Hultafors Classic... WHAT A TOOL!

I was processing some pretty serious beech, ash and sycamore this afternoon presenting a great opportunity to give it a test run.

It didn't disappoint, worked very well with two and one handed blows, flipping over easy for a hammer blow on the odd occasion it didn't cleave first time.

This punches well above it's weight compared to my normal splitting maul and I'd recommend heartily.

J

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Of all the axes I have tried the GB SFA has proved the most versatile - I use it for everything from dropping trees in my garden to rough carving spoons etc.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
To put a spanner in the works, don't discount the hultafors agdor chopping axe. £32 from ebay delivered and a whole lot of axe for your money

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
To put a spanner in the works, don't discount the hultafors agdor chopping axe. £32 from ebay delivered and a whole lot of axe for your money

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have just got one of these, fantastic value, puts Gransfors prices to shame, £27 delivered from here:

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Hy20085Sv Chopping Axe 1750G Length 65Cm 7391408402811 840281

Arrived next day with text and email updates on delivery and they accept Paypal......no connection just one very satisfied customer :)

N

Nomad

Easily the best price I've seen on that - I paid 31 quid delivered from Amazon a week or so ago, and that was pretty cheap compared to what else I saw.

(For those reading, the 1750g in the item title is incorrect - the HY20 (HUL 840281) has an 850g head, and weighs about 1250g total. I think the 1750g comes from the heavier HY10 version.)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Easily the best price I've seen on that - I paid 31 quid delivered from Amazon a week or so ago, and that was pretty cheap compared to what else I saw.

(For those reading, the 1750g in the item title is incorrect - the HY20 (HUL 840281) has an 850g head, and weighs about 1250g total. I think the 1750g comes from the heavier HY10 version.)

Well spotted....this is the 1750g one and that's only £32!

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/7391408402057 Chopping Axe 1750G Hulhy10175Sv 840205

Must resist, must resist :)

N

Nomad

Well spotted....this is the 1750g one and that's only £32!

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/7391408402057 Chopping Axe 1750G Hulhy10175Sv 840205

Must resist, must resist :)

Just looking at the Hultafors site, and the HY10s only go up to 1500g head...

http://www.hultafors.com/products/cutting/axes/felling-axes/felling-axe-hy-10/

Typos in head weights - look at model numbers for weights in kg. All the same handle length as well (26"), while the 1750g is listed on FFX is 32". Maybe this is a discontinued model.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE