bushcooker/woodgas stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I did once a long time ago with some old food tins, it was a on thread here some time back, worked ok not as good as the 'real thing'

Sent from somewhere?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I made one from an old gas cannister and a food tin - worked very well but didn't really have the longevity of the commercial models. I do recall seeing one at the Moot a few years ago made from an old gallon paint can, with a Fray Bentos pie tin as a flame/heat guide - that worked well!

You going to try one Rob?

Ogri the trog

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've made a few now, the last one about two years ago and I use it almost daily; it works every bit as good as any I've ever seen and is a great thing which serves me well. I made mine from a nesting set of three ss containers, I put the smallest inside the largest to make the stove itself and the medium sized one sits "upside down" between these two for transport; trivet, spoon etc, goes in the main body and the job's a good 'un :)

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I've got a bushcooker and it works well, bit old and not very robust thoe, l was thinking of making one to fit inside my titanium 750 mug , it would be taller and slimmer than the bushcooker.
I just wanted a bit of advice on suitable materials to adapt to make one.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think I've made five now that have lasted well and functioned properly, and it has to be stainless to be worth doing, in my book; all the stuff made from tins and carbon steel just rusts from the get-go and if you want durability the weight goes up unless it's stainless as you have to use a heavier gauge of carbon steel. I go round the charity shops, Wilko's, poundshops etc. and buy up food-grade stainless 304 items and butcher and adapt those.

The one I use now will make a big brew and bake a decent bannock on one burn, is 120mm D X 170mm tall, but comes in at 700g for stove, billy, trivet, potholder and small brewkit.

I think if I was going to go the tall and skinny route you speak of, I'd want to make a prototype with food cans or somesuch as I think it'll take some experimentation to get one that shape to burn well. The important thing for these to burn efficiently is the relationship between the size and placement of all the holes in relation to the volume of both the main burnchamber and the "airsleeve" up the sides; a lot of people make them and then say they don't work well when what they should have done is made a template with cans and played with the variables 'till it worked, then make the one you'll use.

Apart from anything else, holding these shapes while you cut and drill 304 stainless is not something you want to do more often than necessary and not unless you know it's a keeper!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
had a DIY one made out of a paint tin with a coffee can inside - worked very well

tried to make something smaller myself using a standard sized can and a smaller sweet corn can inside - worked OKish but I dont think there was enough space to get the required airflow for more than a slow boil. Only lased a few burns and required far too much feeding for me to bother efining the design

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just had a thought whilst out getting soaked this morning; it might be a good idea to use a cheapo ss half litre flask, cut it at the height required and you've got both inner and outer vessels ready made, just turn the outer upside down and make your hole to suit the inner, do your drilling and pop one into the other. It'd be an easy and quick way to try it out, eh? use small holes for the jets at the top of the inner and then enlarge 'till you get the optimum.

I've even got one you can have :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE