Bushcafting and men's (and womans ;) ) best friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
I have to say as an all round animal friend I am extremly jealous when I see hikers with a cute smart little mix or what ever dog.
Both my wife and myself want a dog bad but I seriously don't think we have
a) the time
b) the space
And it wouldn't be fair on the little fella.
However I would love to go out with a 4 leged friend, must be great to have somebody with a good nose with you.

share your story if you have dog and go out and about on a regular basis

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Eat dinning room curtain, excavate lawn, stole from other peoples kitchens, chew just about everything, drink tea, beer and eat sandwiches uninvited the list goes on and on, oh also eat a calculator, drove dog trainer to suggest I have it put down, bad to the bone and as hard as nails, would not have missed one minute best friend and gundog I will ever have, answered to the name of Mindy amongst other.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Eat dinning room curtain, excavate lawn, stole from other peoples kitchens, chew just about everything, drink tea, beer and eat sandwiches uninvited the list goes on and on, oh also eat a calculator, drove dog trainer to suggest I have it put down, bad to the bone and as hard as nails, would not have missed one minute best friend and gundog I will ever have, answered to the name of Mindy amongst other.

Looks like a case of Dog Borstal ;)

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
My opinion about pets:
- They should not be locked up.
- They do not belong in a city.

People lock rabbits and hamsters in cages, and 'care' for them. No, they should live a free life.

About dogs and cats the same. Some people live in small appartments and have cats which can't go out.
Dogs and cats should not be living in cities. The very little green whats in a city:I see it as an opportunity to sit, walk, sport and things like that. A (city)dog owner sees it as a toilet for his pet. Thats a bad combination.

I also like to have a dog. But it's a responsibility I can't take, yet: moving to a city to study for example.

Maybe over 5 years, when I live somewhere rural.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
My opinion about pets:
- They should not be locked up.
- They do not belong in a city.

People lock rabbits and hamsters in cages, and 'care' for them. No, they should live a free life.

About dogs and cats the same. Some people live in small appartments and have cats which can't go out.
Dogs and cats should not be living in cities. The very little green whats in a city:I see it as an opportunity to sit, walk, sport and things like that. A (city)dog owner sees it as a toilet for his pet. Thats a bad combination.

I also like to have a dog. But it's a responsibility I can't take, yet: moving to a city to study for example.

Maybe over 5 years, when I live somewhere rural.

Whoa slow down there.

I have two Dogs and i live in London, one of the busiest cities in the World, i also have 4 cats.

I pick up all my Dogs excrement as well and do not see woodland as a toilet for my pet.

Nicolas i have two Dogs if you hadn't guessed ;) , a German Shepherd and a Wheaton Terrier and they go out with me all the time.

Its good having extra sensory eyes and ears about the place, it gives you a chance to sit back and take it all in without worrying, not to mention having company that doesn't do your ear in like my missus does and complain her feet hurt :rolleyes:

Its good to hear that you yourself have taken into consideration that your lifestyle would not be beneficial for a Dog, if there were more people who thought like you did then rescue centres would not be full to bursting with abandoned Dogs.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
We had two dogs, Gypsy, a lurcher, who died last year :( and Molly a black lab. She is a nut case!!Everything is done "at the double" all the time, she farts, makes all sort of horrible slurping noises,, she rolls in smelly stuffs.... drives me up the wall often. But she can be good company as well. Don't expect to see too many other creatures though when she goes out with you!

Got 2 cats, vile little beasts, who catch birds and mices and leave the remains by your bed for you to put your feet on when you get up....mouse guts is not nice when stuck to your toes :rant:

Then 2 guinea pigs, we had 5 ferrets, and an Eagle Owl, oh and 2 hamsters. Problem with that lot, it makes it difficult to go out or to go on holiday as a family!!!,

I proposed barbecuing the guinea pigs, but the rest of the family didn't like that idea, can't think why:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I am also in the no pets camp. I'd like to own a dog and use it as a gun dog (although I'd need to get a real gun first!) or train a bird of prey to take small game and other prey animals for the pot, but I'm being realistic when i say that I don't have the time. Also, i think there are too many dogs shut up in houses, not all owners take them out for walks, clear up their mess or train them in any way. In my day to day job I have come across countless cases where the lazy wife with her filthy house shuts the dog out in the yard and there is at least a weeks worth of dog mess on the yard floor. the dog is treading in it and she lets the dog back in the house. You can only imagine the state of the house. I see it all too often, dogs are a fashion accesory at the moment, and I never was one for following fashion trends.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
My dogs come with me on all of my bushcrafting outings unless im travelling a long distance by car to get there.
People who have dogs like taking their dogs with them because they known the dog is enjoying being out.After my last dog died i only went up to the woods on a few occasions,When youve got a dog youve always got a buddy to go camping with !!!!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
My dogs come with me on all of my bushcrafting outings unless im travelling a long distance by car to get there.
People who have dogs like taking their dogs with them because they known the dog is enjoying being out.After my last dog died i only went up to the woods on a few occasions,When youve got a dog youve always got a buddy to go camping with !!!!

Quite agree with you. Also, a man on his own can looks suspicious to others. Take your dog, and no one takes notice of you.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I love to take the dog (borrowed!) with me but a waste of time if you want to stay quiet and watch wildlife.He saw a squirrel for the first time last week.....dead funny nearly went up the tree with it!
Dave
Ps No squirrels were hurt during the making of this post.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Thant's me and my dog...

n787970606_2251879_4502.jpg

sadly we had to rehome him due to change of situation.. but he's fine now, it was the best for him.

Broke my heart :(

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I have to say that although I don't have one, I do like most, well behaved, dogs.

The ones I don't like are the ones who have defective owners who have failed to train them.

While I like dogs, I DON'T like having them jump up at me, try to have sex with me, or slobber all over me and sadly, there seem to be a great many that try to do one or all of the above!

(Maybe I'm just the doggy version of hot stuff or something ----- then again, maybe not!)

The other ones I can't stand are the ones that chase you and try to nip at your heels when you're out running. I've lost count of the number of times I've been tripped up by dogs snapping at me when I'm running! I'm sorry to say that attack is now my means of defence and if I encounter a dog that tries to bite me when I'm running, it gets a good hard kick - in the nuts if possible - and the owners get a tirade of abuse!

I remember one chap saying, "It's OK, he'll only nip you." To which I replied, "If it does, I'll kick its :censored: head in and then I'll be coming after you!" Funnily enough he keeps it on a lead anytime he sees me now.........

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I think most animal shelters will let you sign up to be a dog walker for them!

So you can go in and get them and take them out with you - but I don't know if you can take them far or just up the road etc.

I've often thought about it myself and thought how cool it would be to see lots of different dogs!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
my 'little' darling, Saxen, comes to work with me in the woods every day. As long as I keep an eye on him he doesn't wander off too far (he has 10 acres to play in, yet he would rather bugger off to the neighbours field :rolleyes: ). When it comes to being out and about, whether town or country he is generally great. He will only defacate in places that are not going to be walked on (eg up a hedge bank, under a bush or on a bunch or nettles) and never on a path/trail or concrete, which is very useful :D I do have to keep a watch out for trouble ahead, especially in the form of deer or those walkers who don't expect to get dirty or meet a dog on their walk. I have to make sure I call him back and grab him before he spots the new play/chase thing, otherwise he's gone til he gets bored :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like dogs as long as they are well behaved. My own dog was such a lame brain training never realy took - so he did little bushcrafting or hiking with me, although he did come on Rambles with me(on a lead), and used to come camping with me occassionally....
It is not always the owners fault that a dog is not well trained, but it is their fault if they are not well controlled!
A well trained dog is a joy - but even those with a will of their own can be amusing ( that is the word eh Jedadiah?).
I had my dog for 14 years and I still miss the awkward little blighter although I used to lose patience with him quite often!

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I do have to keep a watch out for trouble ahead, especially in the form of deer or those walkers who don't expect to get dirty or meet a dog on their walk.

Dave,

Does that line mean that your pooch is one of the ones that jumps up at people? I hope not, for the reasons I've outlined in my previous post! Another thing of course is that some people - my wife included - are scared of dogs, especially ones that jump up at her.

I'm NOT anti-dog in any way shape or form, but I do expect people to control their animals - why should I, or anyone else for that matter have to put up with being pawed at and having my clothing soiled or damaged because someone else can't control their mutt?

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
my 'little' darling, Saxen, comes to work with me in the woods every day. As long as I keep an eye on him he doesn't wander off too far (he has 10 acres to play in, yet he would rather bugger off to the neighbours field :rolleyes: ). I do have to keep a watch out for trouble ahead, especially in the form of deer or those walkers who don't expect to get dirty or meet a dog on their walk. I have to make sure I call him back and grab him before he spots the new play/chase thing, otherwise he's gone til he gets bored :rolleyes:

What sort of beast is Saxen Dave? Sounds like a lurcher to me:D Description fits mine to a T anyway

ps. what do you call the knife handled hatchet (you know what I mean) that you've got on the homepage of your website? looks an interesting tool.

pps. just clicked on it in your gallery question answered :D

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Also, a man on his own can looks suspicious to others. Take your dog, and no one takes notice of you.
That's a very good point.

I had a dog we inherited off a friend who emigrated to New Zealand. For many years I never got near or even saw any wildlife. Poor thing died of stomach cancer 5 years back but to be honest, my life has changed significantly since then as a new world has opened up.

I love dogs, but they're just not compatible with getting close to nature and it's not fair to leave them at home.

Pablo.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Our dog does give me an excuse to go into the woods a lot, but he brings very little bushcrafting talent.

He digs up the tent pegs because he wonders why I was especially interested in that particular stick.

He steals food if you leave it on the floor.

He barks at imaginary beasts while failing to spot deer not 5 metres away.

He tries to get into the hammock then tangles himself up.

He slobbers over the dry tinder.

But it's true what was said above. Go out on your own and you're a wierdo; go out with a labrador and you're a responsible member of the community again.

BTW way anybody got any tips on how to get the dog to settle down at night. I get the feeling that he's unsettled because the area is obviously unfamiliar. Someone suggested using that orange plastic fencing to make a little enclosure. At the moment I tie up a trolley line between two trees then hang his lead on that. At least he can roam about 10 metres. He still has barking fits though. Once we were in a valley with an echo; so he barks at his own reflection as it were.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE