Bushbuddy Tips!

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Well I found a couple of tips on the bushbuddy after 2 weeks in the ardeche..

Number 1 when lighting the bushbuddy hold it up high put in a few sticks and light a match hold the match in as long as you can and start to pray.. seemed to work for me!

Number 2 Pine cones really do give off some heat !! I mixed my burn with wood and pine cones semmed easier to regulate heat that way..

Number 3: Use a wind reflector it really makes a difference on boik time.

and last but not least when stopping by the side of a road in a car park for a brew NEVER NEVER EVER place your bushbuddy on the tarmac!!
As I normally use the trangia burner inside the bushbuddy for car stops, most of the time it didnt matter but when you use wood the thing gets hot enough to melt the tar and sticks your buddy to the ground!!! then!! it takes two days of rubbing with baby wipes pine cones and lots of really hot water!!

Hope his infomation saves somebody some hard work ;)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Well this got really hot which I didnt expect.. I have found when mine is burning I cannot pick it up it is much to hot.. The wind guard also very hot!! I remember reading somewhere they burn cool so not damaging the ground well this was hot enough to melt tar and burn my fingers when trying to pick up after I realised what was going on..

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
I'll second that. I've held the BushBuddy on the palm of my hand while it is alight and had been burning for over two hours. My guess is the tarmac was already sticky from the effect of the sun.

My best tip is: make sure it's on a stable surface. I recently had it perched on a rock, fire burning away and a titanium mug of water on to boil. Feeding a twig in a little too enthuiastically, I hit the side of the pot support away from the stoke hole and pushed the whole lot over. Result: one open fire on the rock, water and pot separately on the grass behind the rock, Doh!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Mine gets a little too warm to hold, I think, but no where near hot enough to melt tar. It certainly does not leave those "Mini-UFO landing sites" on the ground. A wind shield is a must, I use the same bit of heavy aluminium foil (from a baking tray) that I use with my Coke can stove. It fits in my 12cm Zebra billy, along with the Bushbuddy. The only thing is, I need to use little pegs to elevate it when used with the Bushbuddy. Not sure how I would do it on hard ground.

As for lighting, I always try to use wood shavings or birch bark, if possible. The wood shavings and small bits of split wood work brilliantly for getting it going, no holding it up or praying. More like, stuff with shavings from some dry stick, light match, throw match in general direction of shavings wait 20 seconds and start adding pencil sized bits of split wood. I know that split wood is easy, but it gets rid of the problem of moisture in bark, and after all, I am not carrying a knife only for show ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE