bushbuddy/cooker vs hobo in the cold/wet

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Given that though, it still manages to boil quicker than the honey and there is virtually no smoke when it is up and running which I find is a major plus.

Thanks, very useful that you are also comparing it with the Honey. I like the lack of smoke and that the Bushbuddy stays relatively cool. Interesting that you still consider the Bushbuddy boils quicker even when allowing for the extra "getting up to speed" time. With very limited comparison, my gut feeling was that they were probably about the same. However, once the Bushbuddy gets going it boils very quickly, so maybe I just need to improve my Bushbuddy lighting skills.

Graham

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I use this tubing to "turbo-charge" my Bushbuddy, without inhaling smoke, getting my hands and knees wet, or making myself light-headed.

IMG_3386.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I, too, love my bushbuddy and I have had no problems with it in the recent snow:

snowbuddy.jpg

You do have to keep feeding it but it still boils enough water for a brew with a very few twigs. On this occasion (in the photo) I kicked it off with birch bark and added a little more when I put the second lot of twigs in. The wood was from a fallen beech branch that I had to shake the snow off before snapping to size. The secret (as in JonathanD's photo) is to make sure you have enough fuel prepared in advance as it can go out very quickly if you have to scout out new supplies mid-brew.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I use this tubing to "turbo-charge" my Bushbuddy, without inhaling smoke, getting my hands and knees wet, or making myself light-headed.

Thanks,

I use a section of aluminium tent pole to do the same thing, but this seems a more flexible solution.

Graham

P.S. pun not intended

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I, too, love my bushbuddy and I have had no problems with it in the recent snow

Thanks, your picture looks very like the way my Bushbuddy looked, at least for most of the time.

I could get it burning like JonathanD's picture by adding small twigs of a few mm, but larger bits never really took that well, and I felt it was always on the verge of going out. Still boiled my pot of water OK.

But nice to see someone else happy with the Bushbuddy in poor weather so further support for it being my lack of skill.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE