Bush Tepee/Lavvu Project (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Part 1

Shelter building, as most skills I have learned in bushcraft, have have been from uncle Rays books. I started out with "The Outdoor Survival Handbook" by building the one man "kennel" type debris hut. Then I experimented with open sided shelters with fires, like the lean-to and the deciduous forest "half dome" equivalent from "Essential Bushcraft". I found the open fronted shelters to be particularly good, especially being able to sit up in them by the fire, giving you space to work on a rainy day. But I always found it hard to get a good long nights sleep in colder weather. As soon as the fire burns low you get cold patch and your up again putting logs on the fire. So this winter I had the plan of trying to make a more permanent sheter, one I could be comfortable in for weeks on end.

My thoughts turned to the Native American Tepee and Sammi Lavvu. Where I am in Scotland there is plenty of plantation forest offering the perfect northern forest type setting and meterials for these shelters. I planned to make one big enough for two people, so I set off for the day in search of the right location. I was surprised at how difficult it was to find a spot with all the things I needed: flat/dry ground, proximity to water, poles for the frame, thatching materials and firewood, but eventually i found somewhere.

dscf0277o.jpg

Having found the location, the next week I returned with everything I needed for an overnight stay. I got there, cleared the ground and layed out to measure the floor diameter I would need, allowing about 1 and a half times my height. I started by finding three stout poles to use as the main frame and by leaving some braches attached at the top of the poles to act as forks, I didn't need to lash the apex. I whittled a point onto the end of each support and dug a small post hole for each to secure it from slipping. I was able to use dead wood to build the whole frame as it was easy to find dead stading trees that had become crowded out in the forest.

dscf0315zl.jpg

I leaned three more poles to the frame to make it more circular, then to leave a free smoke hole at the top, I thought it would be best to lash cross bars down from the apex to lean the rafters to. I decided to use spruce roots for this so made myself a handy digging stick and went root hunting! This is easier said than done when the ground is frozen! I discovered that if I found an uprooted spruce, I could get to the roots in the ground beneath the frozen layer, in the side of the hole left by the tree. Of the roots gathered, I found those about pencil thickness worked the best. Plenty of clove hitches, and a few more poles later and the Lavvu was taking shape!

dscf0337o.jpg
dscf0328z.jpg

By this time the short winters day was all but over and there was no hope of finishing in time. Without a tarp, I decided to head home. Gathering and using the spruce roots had taken a lot longer than expected.

I returned again a week later, fully tooled up for a night in the bush. This time the temperature had risen with a full thaw in progress and the silent winter woods dripping with water. I set to with my axe felling and limbing dead standing poles to complete the frame. With that complete, I began thatching with spruce boughs. I soon appreciated the increase in work required with this design over my previous smaller shelters. I found it particularly hard going using my small forest axe to cut the boughs. Even with it well sharpened, it was a slow and laborious task. Again I was forced to head home without staying the night but I appreciated now the work required to finish. I headed back again to work on it for a day and practice some other skills too. The camp was beginning to look lived in.

dscf0381hy.jpg

Last edited:

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Yea thanks, it was. I'll post up the second half about finishing and using it in the next couple of days when I get a chance.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Looks fantastic, wish there was somewhere near me where I could build a semi permanent shelter like that. I think the kids would burn it down or trash it.

Looks good.
Nice t see me a natural shelter being built.
Also nice t see you're not pulling punches in having t go away and come back due t time being consumed more than expected looking for materials etc. Refreshing to see that it takes more than a day for one person to build it.
Also shows the merits of having more people out to combine efforts as I'm assuming you still had to tend to fire etc?
Looks great and can't wait for the next installment

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
That looks really good Gus. What are the dimensions (height and floor)?

I recently started my own tipi project and can appreciate how hard the work is. So far I have spent two days getting the frame up using, like you, three foundation poles and a few others. I still need to add some poles and some cross pieces. It is covered with a parachute (not entirely natural unfortunately, but this is in deciduous woodland).

I have gone for very steep walls (sacrificing some floor space) in the hope that I can have an open fire in the centre and the smoke will exit efficiently through the apex hole. We'll see! The last tipi I made had less steep walls and I found the smoke collected in all but the bottom three foot of the interior. Mine is about 15 foot across and maybe 10 feet high. No pics I'm afraid but I am going to work on it this weekend and will take my camera.

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Man of Tanith: Yea I seriously underestimated the time and effort to build, but I wanted to do it properly so i just kept at it. You are right about the benefit of having more people. I had a friend join me to finish it off and use it; we got things done much more quickly. I always have trouble finding someone who wants to join me on my bushcraft trips!

Treadlightly: I'm afraid I can't give you exact measurements because I did it mostly by what looked right! But for the base diameter I started by drawing a fire circle, then lay down on the ground next to it and marked my head and feet adding about a foot at each end. Going by that and I'm about 6 foot tall the base is probably about 9 feet through the centre (diameter). For height, I just put up the poles to see what it looked like! If you look at the second picture you can see offcuts from the poles where I shortened them to make it less steep. I remember my measure for the rafter pole lengths was 6 axe helve lengths, so the main tripod poles would be about 7 helves. For a Gransfors SFA thats 50cm*7 = 3.5 meters (approx 12 feet) Well there you go some numbers after all!

I would be interested in seeing your parachute tipi, I was thinking it would be a less labour intensive/more portable way of doing this. Wap up the photos on here if you like.

Last edited:
It's not always a good thing having company though. I tend t fall into set up campsite then put kettle on and not do much else.
But for labour intensive activities it definitely has its merits. Can see why folk travelled in groups when this sorta thing was a serious business.
Really enjoying this thread :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
How is the thatching done? Just laying the boughs against the uprights or tied on with roots?

What about their orientation? End-of-bough downwards to shed water or some other way?

Gus1990

Mar 28, 2011
Glasgow
Part 2

So the Lavvu frame was complete and I had started the thatching. But there was still a lot of work to be done before the shelter was complete. In the run up to the final trip, I managed to find another hardy soul willing to accompany me, and with the extra help, I was sure it could be finished in one final day.

However, I still was not happy with the laborious task of cutting spruce boughs with my axe. I found the branches would just bounce away from the blade, even when well sharpened. I was forced to hold the tip of the branch and cut one at a time. This was time consuming! Now I'm not normally a big knife person but here I could see the use of one. I needed something lightweight, able to cut at speed. My first thought was a machete or parang but I thought these were a little overkill. Firewood processing was to be left to my axe and folding saw, so I needed something between the size of my puukko and a machete. Naturally with the Saami theme, my thoughts wandered to their tools and the traditional Saami knife or Leuku. This seemed to fit the bill perfectly, so I sized up a few offerings on the web and settled for one made by Wood Jewel. After some protests from my wallet I was all tooled up for the final trip!

dscf0564bw.jpg

We hiked in on a driech morning, through heavy mist. But all along the wayside we could see small but hopefull signs of spring. My companion, with a particular taste for garlic, smelled out the first of the seasons ramsons and we chomped as we hiked. We also spotted this interesting plant, which I hope someone can identify! Apart from almost loosing our boots in the mud, the rest of the hike in was unneventful!

dscf0386o.jpg
dscf0408v.jpg

After arriving at the camp we set to work cutting and hauling the spruce boughs. The saami knife worked a treat, allowing me to cut the boughs much more quickly and efficiently. While I cut and collected the boughs, Jonathan concentrated on thatching the shelter. He placed the boughs with the tips facing down and the under silvery underside of the branch facing out. This allowed the natural curve of the brach to shed rain. With rain forecast overnight we thatched to a generous depth of about a foot.

dscf0414e.jpg
dscf0421c.jpg

We finally finished the thatching with the afternoon light fading. The final jobs to complete before nightfall were to make some beds inside and to collect firewood. Although the forest was full of deadwood, much of it was sodden. I was particularly concerned that burning wet wood might smoke us out, so I took the time to find good dry wood. The best firewood to be found was old dead standing spruces that were crowded out in the denser areas of forest, so these were felled and dragged back to camp. We set up a firewood station by cutting a large log and placing it to one side of the camp to use as a chopping block. We also spread some spruce boughs on the ground to kneel on. The firewood was sawn to length and then split into four. I was conscious that splitting the wood might help the fire burn cleaner without smoke.

dscf0374zg.jpg

The final job was to get sleeping arrangements sorted. We started by cutting thick logs to use as the frame of the bed towards the fire, while the teepe wall would serve as the back. The saami knife again came in usefull when cutting springy larch branches and twigs to use as a quick bed filler. Spruce boughs were again used to top the beds off with a softer layer.

After all that work we were ready to move in at last! The temperature had begun to drop as the light faded and we retreated inside. After digging a shallow wok shaped depression for a hearth, I layed the fire using birch bark and split wood and after a few sparks had a cheery blaze going. The flames danced and lit up the inside of the shelter which soon warmed and we were ready to see out the night.

dscf0486g.jpg

As we enjoyed dinner and began working our way through the woodstack, unnoticed the weather outside began to turn...

Last edited:
Is there a part three?
Please tell me there is a part three!
Looks very good.
Now for the questions :)
Did as I suspected it work better with two of you working on it rather than just yourself doing all the collecting, processing, moving of resources?
Was the lekku worth the outlay? The materials you were working with are definitely the same as the Sami work with
Is that a blanket I see on the side of that pack?
How well did the smoke hole work to keep the shelter smokefree?
Having built one would you use the shelter style again?
What alterations woildnkf you make were you to build another?

Really enjoyed this thread so far. Thank you very much
Sam

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Great write up gus. Looks like a magical night out. :)

Just wondering, when collecting the spruce bows did you take them from lots of trees or strip some bare?

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Tremendous stuff Gus.

I'd like to know how well the structure coped with the smoke and how much of a pain was any snow/rain coming through the smokehole?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE