Bush pipe?

N

Nomad

I haven't tried a bush pipe but have looked into pipe making in general, and made one from a hobby kit (block of briar with the drillings and some basic shaping done, and a ready-made stem - you carve the outer shape and finish it). I'd imagine the tough bit in the field is doing the drillings, especially when one considers that pipes are usually made of pretty hard woods. (I thought I was going to use a knife on the hobby kit and was soon disabused of that notion - ended up using a hacksaw and rasp for basic shaping, then a rotary tool with various cutters, burrs and sanding bits to do the finer work, and a sponge sanding block to finish off, and it still took ages.)

The pointy hole-making thing on the back side of a SAK would probably manage the mortice for the stem, but cutting the bowl could be tricky. Maybe it could be burnt out with something like a red hot poker, but I'm not sure how clean the inside would be (scrape the carbon off, maybe). What does Mors say about making the bowl? For making at home, one of those flat woodworking bits can be ground into a round-cornered shape. I've done this and tried it on a lump of softwood, and it worked (just never got round to sourcing a more suitable bit of wood). The main thing with this is that the blank is square-sided and can be held in a vice, and a power tool is really needed. Another possibility is a pipe reamer, like this...

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/castleford-pipe-reamer/#.VYUundgcGHs

If the majority of the bowl can be burnt out, that could be used to make a neat job of finishing the inside (or at least scrape off most of the carbon in a more consistent way).

There's a tip in pipe making circles, where you smear honey on the inside of the bowl to condition it before you light up. I did this on my hobby kit pipe, and also do it with any new pipe I get. It seems to help - with the hobby kit, there was a slight sense of smoking a campfire the first couple of bowls, but it seemed to settle pretty quickly as the honey got carbonised and turned into the beginnings of a cake. I used runny honey (or the liquid part from an old jar of stiff honey that has long since settled out), and get it fairly wet, but not running down the sides. Get it so that it all looks glossy when you shine a light into it. Apply with the pinky, only a tiny amount needed.

Here's the hobby kit briar block as supplied...

attachment.php

And the finished pipe (before applying honey and lighting up)...

attachment.php

The finish is boiled linseed oil with a little bit of pine tar mixed in to darken it. It looks smaller and maybe shorter in the photo than it is in reality - it's normal pipe size. The top of the bowl is 36mm diameter, 45mm high, and 140mm long overall. Smokes very well, although it can get a bit hot due to the wall thickness reducing thanks to the fluted shape (chose that to echo the shaping of the stem). The bowl is relatively narrow - 17.5mm at the top, 36mm deep, and has a somewhat tapered shape. A smoke lasts about 40 minutes or so - bowl dimensions and smoking time is something to consider before cutting wood. I would also be careful with wall thickness - better to be a bit thick than a bit thin.

Interesting thread here (but not made in the woods)...

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showt...es-Continually-Updated-Thread-Updated-7-25-12

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nomad

Gq tobaccos is deadly.
just made an order this mornin as it goes :)

Yes, I shouldn't have posted that link to the reamer - now browsing the baccies and fear for my wallet. :)

Have you tried any of their latakia based house blends?

Thanks for the links

Have a look around YouTube as well - some interesting approaches to making.

N

Nomad

The Mac Baren flake sounds interesting. I started with their Vanilla Cream Flake and Navy Flake, but didn't get on with them particularly (found them bitey, and I suspect I'm not into aromatics), but the HH Latakia Flake looks to be straight baccy, so I think I'll give it a go. The Germains is really nice, but the latakia is a bit in the background (one of my favourites, though - have several tins). Dunhill Nightcap is pretty good, but maybe a bit in-your-face. Smoke King's Steeplechase house blend is similar, but a bit more laid back - I'd like to get that in a flake.

N

Nomad

Have you seen this?

[video=youtube;lXdD1a2sz6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXdD1a2sz6o[/video]

Yes, watched that earlier. Interesting construction method, although I think I'd prefer the more conventional vertical round bit with an inserted stem. I'll be musing on ways to do the bow drill thing on a vertical cylinder - maybe a combination of that and the aforementioned reamer can work for the bowl. The rest should be pretty straightforward (SAK awl to make a hole in the side, bit of elder for the stem, maybe pine resin and charcoal for glue if needed).

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Here is my tutorial on how to make a bush pipe , hope you like it.
Note : I left the edges that way because I like it that way many people told me to smooth it down but I like it that way , its personal preference , I also leave my spoons that way. :)

[video=youtube;v5oyGaNSE2c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5oyGaNSE2c[/video]

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
aa2eabdcc36cb17e5305d9114023122d.jpg

My new bush pipe / corncob pipe made with a corncob ( duh) pine pitch and bamboo , I made the hole by burning it in with coals, I had the ash powder ready to mix with pine pitch but forgot it 😐 will it have problems ? or should I remove it remelt it and do it again with ashes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE