Bush loom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
As anyone here ever weaved with nettle cordage/grass/reeds etc.

Would you need a loom of some sort or would you just weave it by hand.

My knowledge of weaving is weaving as a kid using a shoebox and wooden ruler :D

As anybody ever built a 'bush loom'?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have. Why? What have you got in mind? :confused:
It takes a lot of fibre to weave something and that means a lot of preparation & time.
Weaving is basically over and under, over and under..... and then back the way under & over, under & over...... all a loom does is create a structure that lets you lift all the overs and unders apart together to create a *shed*; that is the space that allows you to pass the bundle of weft fibres through, and then allows you to pass all the overs down through the unders to create the *other* shed. Try it with your hands...put both palms together and lift your fingers....one shed, now put your right hand fingers through between your left hand ones....second shed.

If you really want to weave cloth, google for Backstrap loom. Maybe Navajo blanket loom...warp weighted looks simple but it takes an awful lot of setting up. If it's braids and straps then look for South American links, Africans do them too but the S. American ones are simpler in structure if not in weave patterns.

If you want mats from something like rushes then first decide the size you need. Then take a couple of sticks the width you want your mat to be and fasten one to a stable point (tree or stake of some kind) with a loop that will allow you to pull firmly against it but will allow you to work on the ground too. Next you need the warp cords, nettle is very good for this. These cords will need to be as long as your finished mat plus a third and if you can make them double this length even better, lets you fold them over an end stick rather than knotting them on. How many warps is up to you but at least one at each end and one in the middle and better if five or seven. The idea is to *twine* the warps around bundles of rushes or grass or bracken. Basically two cords are wrapped around each bundle but pass over each other too. Imagine untwisting a piece of rope and fitting a bundle of stuff into every twist, but you are creating the rope part as you weave around the bundles. If you do the two end warps first you can then tie these onto the second stick and loop this onto another stake to create a tension. Work the middle warp the same way and then fill in with the others.

If you want a tapestry/ panel piece then four sticks checked together at the ends will create a stable frame that you can wrap with warp threads. You can either just weave in and out of these or use heddles to lift the shed apart.
Weaving can be as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it.

Now then; what are you up to? :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Cheers Toddy i'll have to have a google :)

I was just playing over in my mind,what would you do if you lost everything including the shirt on your back.

Of course you would eventually kill deer,skin them and make clothing from their hides but all this takes time.

Making nettle cordage or gathering up aload of long grass is alot quicker than making the tools to hunt and skin deer.
Weaving seems like an organised way of turning grass or cordage into a functional item of clothing.

It might not win any praise on the catwalks of Milan or Paris but it would keep you warm. :D

P.S. when i get five minutes i'll have a bash and post some pics ;)

Again cheers Toddy :)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Wasn't Otzi the ice man wearing a grass coat?
It seemed to be long strips and tied at intervals rather than woven properly, apparently the shepherds from somewhere near there used them till the beginning of the century.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's just............. :confused: so *no*, remember growing mustard & cress on cotton wool at school? Interesting link though :rolleyes:

I was also going to suggest making a tight mesh net and knotting bunches of grass or fibres onto that to create a *cloth*.

Cheers,
Toddy

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I have already made half of my interpretation of Oetzi's cloak, unfortunately the Council then cut down the grass that I had been using.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE