Bush Lighters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I got a blueflame from Woodlore some years ago n it seems to be on its last leg. The flame barely stands. Dunno if the fuel injection is clogged or somthin but its been workin fine for the past 3 years with the acception of a single fault in the flame ages ago that fixed itself. Makes me think its time to get a new windproof lighter, but Id like to try a different brand or model.

Incase it helps, I'l be using it for lighting fires and cigarettes, in quite possibly dire weather.

Before thinking about purchasing another, has anyone else had similar problems with their blue flame pocket torch?

The blue flame pocket torch I currently have, although I beleive its busted:
http://www.raymears.com/Shop_Item/275-Blue-Flame-Pocket-Torch/

What do y'all think of Brunton lighters (example: http://www.toolshop.de/product_info.php?products_id=3277 ) and Windmill lighters (example: http://www.toolshop.de/product_info.php?products_id=2549 )

Any other reccommendations appreciated!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Don't use lighters as such, but I like the imco lighters:
72827_ts.JPG

I was not gonna post this up until I got this organised at my end, but it seams appropriate now.

Would anyone be interested in a wind and waterproof lighter group buy? I have access to a suplier who is willing to send them over from the states at virtually cost price, these are very similiar to Helios lighters and are the jet flame type and wind and waterproof. I've got two sent over for trial and will post pics asap.

So if folks are interested I'll organise it. Prelimary costings appear to be around the £10

per lighter.

Woodsmoke

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I might be interested. Best ask one of the mods to move this thread to the Group Buys section of the forum to get more responses... :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you tried a Zippo sharp88 ??

I`ve had mine for nearly seventeen years and it`s never let me down. I even sent it away to Zippo about five years ago because the hinge had worn out, they replaced it and cleaned it up inside free of charge.
Some people don`t like the fact that the fuel evaporates overtime so if it doesn`t get used often enough it`s a bit of a waste. Being a smoker I don`t have this problem as it`s used daily.

Just a thought

Rich

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Have you tried a Zippo sharp88 ??

I`ve had mine for nearly seventeen years and it`s never let me down. I even sent it away to Zippo about five years ago because the hinge had worn out, they replaced it and cleaned it up inside free of charge.
Some people don`t like the fact that the fuel evaporates overtime so if it doesn`t get used often enough it`s a bit of a waste. Being a smoker I don`t have this problem as it`s used daily.

Just a thought

Rich

Yeah Iv always thought about getting one. Im a sucker for retro, simple and traditional designs. Theres so many graphics/images to choose from when it comes to Zippo too, good variety and always somthing for someone.

The Imco lighters look really nice too. Pretty with the brass finish and seem quite affordable.

When they say 'petrol lighters' do they literally mean petrol?

Butane lighters like the windmill are a bit unsettling in there complex-ness, Id always be more concerned about burning the casing and it looks as though that would happen if you were in a dopey mood or handed it to someone to 'spark up'.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Zippos are fine - if you keep them fuelled up!
I prefer my flint/steel/charcloth/birch polypore comcination - backed up by a cheap disposable lighter such as a bic....

P

PIDDOCK

Don't use lighters as such, but I like the imco lighters:
72827_ts.JPG

Problem with IMCO lighters is the fuel tank allows evaporation to rapidly as such you dont get many miles for your fuel. Zippo's are better of course.

Blue flame lighters Silva make a good one which is water tight and floats and is ideal for a canoeist or outdoorsman.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
The silva blueflame is just like the windmill delta or brunton helios. There seems to be a certain pattern for weatherproof lighters :rolleyes: . It shouts popularity of design to me.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
My votes for a Zippo, especially if you are using a multifuel stove. I've a little slim line (ladies?) job I removed the hinge pin from and replaced with a little loop I use to paracord tether it to the bag I carry the fuel tank of my Nova in.

I run it on the unleaded/Coleman/panelwipe/whatever I use in the stove and since its the chrome job it acts as a useful little mirror if I get any muck in my aye or splinters in inaccesabe places. I stuff a few spare flints under the felt in the fuel tank and on the full size Zippos theres room for a spare wick as well.

I carry a bic for back up.

ATB

Tom

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Problem with IMCO lighters is the fuel tank allows evaporation to rapidly as such you dont get many miles for your fuel. Zippo's are better of course.

Blue flame lighters Silva make a good one which is water tight and floats and is ideal for a canoeist or outdoorsman.

Yep, agree,the whole refilling business is why I don't tend to use lighters, at all. The thing with the imcos are the intricate design, and the removable 'match'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE