Bush-craft Quotes (please add your own)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

ex member coconino

"Two is one and one is none."
I've no idea who first said it, but it's usually applied to knives.

E

ex member coconino

Two from Mark Twain:
"Architects cannot teach nature anything."
"Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them."

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
This epic facepalmer came from a friend of mine who's not unlike Karl Pilkington.

"If they can clone beef, they should bring back the unicorn."

He was deadly serious.

E

ex member coconino

"An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day."
Henry David Thoreau

Anyone who has ever been camping with me will know how much I like an early morning walk. :sleeping:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
-Aldo Leopold : "All conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and fondle, and when enough have seen and fondled, there is no wilderness left to cherish."

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Going back to the misquothed and cannibalised 'Veni, Vidi, Vici' quotes for a moment:

Veni, Vermini, Vomui (I came, I got ratted, I threw up)

Vidi, Vici, Veni (I saw, I conquered - I came!) sorry if that one offends :D

"There is no substitute for bad manners, except fast reflexes" no idea on the origins.

Quotes that actually apply to bushcraft and therefore adhere to the topic:

"What difference is there between us, save a restless dream that follows my soul but fears to come near you?" - This one is particularly apt for me as my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for the outdoors, and I feel restless if it's been too long since I've been out.

"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Particularly applicable to bushcrafters I feel, especially foragers and hunters.

"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."

"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle." - Good defense against the armchair-bushcrafters!

"If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees."

All are surprisingly by Khalil Gibran, a lebanese poet.

A great poet to read by the fire in the evenings :D

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
"Cows are stupid, they're the only animals you can hunt with a hammer." :Don't know where that one came from... Just popped into my head.

"If it's got 4 legs, and it's not a chair, They'll eat it." :From my Dad about the Japanese. (no offence intended).

"To see a rainbow, you gotta have a little rain" :Dolly Parton. lol...

Not really a quote but this is from a letter from Robert Baden-powell (founder of scouting) to be read after his death.

"I have had a most happy life and I want each one of you to have as happy a life too.

I believe that God put us in this jolly world to be happy and enjoy life. Happiness doesn't come from being rich, nor merely from being successful in your career, nor by self-indulgence. One step towards happiness is to make yourself healthy and strong while you are a boy, so that you can be useful and so you can enjoy life when you are a man.

Nature study will show you how full of beautiful and wonderful things God has made the world for you to enjoy. Be contented with what you have got and make the best of it. Look on the bright side of things instead of the gloomy one.

But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you found it and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best. "Be Prepared" in this way, to live happy and to die happy- stick to your Scout Promise always when you have ceased to be a boy - and God help you to do it. "

I think it contains some fairly inspirational potential one liners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE