Bush craft newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
Hi all,
Iv not been on in a while and last time i asked whats the best way to get into bushcraft and i got some great ideas. Unfortunatly one thing after another means iv had no chance really to get on with it and start learning so im still a newbie just read the books over again lol. Anyway just couple of questions. Firstly i was wondering what careers there are in bushcraft if there are any. Im 19 and its something that would definetly appeal to me to learn as a living. And secondly im going to australia in about a month and wondering if anyone knew of courses and that sort of thing. Im an ozzie citizen so i know the dangers and im not about to run off into the outback lol but wouldnt mind havin a pop at some courses over there (south australia). Went on a fantastic camping and canoeing trip in algonquin national park in canada so iv really got the bug lol. Any info is great its not really a specific thread just wondering these things is all lol.

Cheers

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
one of the only ways to get a job in bushcraft is to constantly ask and get friends with course buisnesses, this could take years

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I don't know about specific careers in bushcraft apart from teaching it - and you really need years of experience behind you before you should even consider going down that route. However, there are plenty of careers where you would be able to learn bushcrafty skills and develop experience to enable you to build a sound knowledge base.

There's forestry, gamekeeping, deerstalking, conservation work, farming, and many other 'outdoors' careers. You might even consider joining the TA and getting some military experience in without the full time committment. All of the above will teach you good outdoor development skills and most will be empathic with the bushcraft ethos. Once you have the relevant qualifications, and have some experience, opportunities may arise to let you work specifically in bushcraft as a career.

I work in green woodcraft which takes me out into the woods felling trees to make firewood, charcoal and loads of wood 'craft' products. As a by product of what I do, I frequently sleep in my hammock (if the wood is too far away to go home at night), I cook my dinner over an open fire and practice what we know as bushcraft skills to make my life as a woodland craftsman more comfortable. Having said that, the job doesn't pay big bucks so I often do other work to help pay the bills. I run woodcraft courses at various times during the year and sometimes I drive taxis just to get some dosh. I couldn't do what I do without years of experience though and a history of military service, college courses and voluntary work has got me to where I am today. It ain't easy, but it sure is more satisfying than slaving away in an office from 9 to 5.

I can't help you with the Ausi courses I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone else will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck in what you decide to do.

Eric

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
:You_Rock_ Nice reply cheers, just wondering really im not claimin i have any knowledge of bushcraft but the sound of the lifestyle really appeals to me so just trying to get ideas of careers. Just at that stage of deciding what i want to do really with me life in general lol, thnx tho good stuff,

anyone else and about the ozzie thing too?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE