bush-craft at home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deej

Mar 12, 2011
derby
hi guys new to the forum , i was wondering if there was anything bushcraft i can do at home ? i i have a few knives i can use i dont really have much of an idea of what to do.
im in the city so dont really get out in the woods very often id love to make mu own hatchet/axe handle for my next trip out so any help pointers of general info will be great ......
thanks in advance :)
david

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Hi deej,

Welcome to BCUK

At home I've done some wood carving with the kids (spoon and a ladle). If you have a garden then outdoor firelighting, cooking etc are options. As to rehandling a hatchet/axe I'm sure some one with more experence than me will be along soon.

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Welcome to the forum deej...:) Do you have a garden? If you do, just get out there and practice firelighting, making a bow drill set and cooking stuff...

If you don't have a garden, collect a few bits and pieces while you're out and make stuff in the kitchen. Try building a knife kit, learn to make paracord stuff (lots of youtube tutorials out there), learn knots, etc....

I do loads of stuff in my kitchen, I even try fire steel and tinder lighting in the sink...lol

Hi deej, welcome to the forum,

As above has said there is alot you can do and make in the home, most of the stuff i have done so far has been in the house as i dont get anywhere near as much time as i would like outside. Paracord bracelets, hobo stoves, knife kits, leather work to name but a few.

Let us know how you get on.

Phil

CBarker

Aug 17, 2010
MK
First thing we ever did was making a walking stick each. Simple and hard to mess up!

Went out into the country/woods, found a good stick each and then stripped it down with a knife each sitting on the living room floor (put down paper!) and then varnished it with standard wood varnish from B&Q. Am fairly sure we should have been drying it out properly and all that but it was a good start and took no more than a knife and some time. WOuld definitly start big and clumsy before moving on to any finer carving.

Also we had quite good fun putting together our equipment - oddly enough ordering tarpaulins, weatherproof matches and compasses can be quite a laugh and can be done from the sofa!

John Boy

Oct 23, 2004
UK
I have an old wok which I use with the kids for practise fire lighting - just sit it on a few logs. You can do a lot of basic knife work, definitely knots, and if you have a garden then you can actually do a whole lot.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Two summers ago before we moved house we spent most of the time camping in the garden , we built a fire pit from some spare concrete blocks and cooked just about everything outside . we had an old gazebo over the top and tents either side . It was one of the best summers the kids said they have ever had and we hardly spent a penny .

027za.jpg

Craig...........

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
A few years ago some friends of mine had a tipi-style tent in their garden. The summer was so hot they couldn't sleep in the house so they started sleeping in the tent.
A full year later they still hadn't gone back to sleeping in the house!:)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Hi deej and welcome.
Why don't you come up to the bushcraft show in Windermere and make your whole axe with the GB master ax-dudes?
Should be a cracking weekend and well out of the city.Loads of traders and tons of knowledge to pick up and take home.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE