Bury or burn?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ever had a drink made of crushed /pulverized ice made from juice, added alcohol?

You can not drink it as you normally do, you need to drink it from the bottom, where the ice crystals have melted.

I never drink normally with a straw. Never drink or eat in a car, to be honest, as that was and still is seen as extremely bad habits in my culture!

And you never had a drink from a Tetra Pak container of juice? The ones with a straw attached when you buy it?

In Sweden we have lots of liquids that come in various Tetra Pak products, from milk to coffee. One portion packs.

We have preferred that over cans.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ever had a drink made of crushed /pulverized ice made from juice, added alcohol?.....
Yep. They’re called daqueries. And also frozen margueritas. And a few other such drinks. No straw involved.

Then there are the nonalcoholic versions called slurpies, icees, and various other names. Agin, no straw required. Then there’s the “snow cone” (essentially the same thing only packed into a paper cone and using concentrated syrup rather than juice. Those are eaten rather than drank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....And you never had a drink from a Tetra Pak container of juice? The ones with a straw attached when you buy it?

In Sweden we have lots of liquids that come in various Tetra Pak products, from milk to coffee. One portion packs.

We have preferred that over cans.
Yeah. They’re common here too; as a kid’s drink. Sometimes drank by adults (including me) but not very often.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Daiquiri is a specific drink type.
We had a bunch of Mojitos, then some natural coconut water/rum based drinks.
Coconut water from ripe coconuts, Zacapa, agave syrup, loads of ice crystals.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Quite a lot of our store-bought fruit juices are done up in 1-liter tetra-paks. Tear-off spout seals.
Unlike the big plastic jugs, the tetra-paks are crushable so the carry out is more compact.

I never leave the dross of my existance in the forest that isn't immediately biodegradable.
(But I will pass on leaving a coprolith with rattlesnake parts in it.)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Daiquiri is a specific drink type.
We had a bunch of Mojitos, then some natural coconut water/rum based drinks.
Coconut water from ripe coconuts, Zacapa, agave syrup, loads of ice crystals.
Yeah. A daiquiri is a frozen rum based slushy made by blending the ingredients with crushed ice.

This one’s basic. Most add frozen fruit also

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Errm - help, I was looking for the thread that was discussing the environmental impact of burning or burying plastic waste - I'm sure there was a lot more that people could have contributed - but I've lost it and seem to stumble on one where two blokes are discussing the best frozen drinks to make.

Have two threads been inadvertently combined somehow? ;)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Errm - help, I was looking for the thread that was discussing the environmental impact of burning or burying plastic waste - I'm sure there was a lot more that people could have contributed - but I've lost it and seem to stumble on one where two blokes are discussing the best frozen drinks to make.

Have two threads been inadvertently combined somehow? ;)
Yeah. I thought the OP was about community waste as well. That said, the discussion certainly makes me wan a drink.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No ice in a daiquiri......
You should stop freqventing bars that do that. They cheat you big time!

It veered off slightly because of paper/plastic straws.

Do they still dump the rubbish from London in the North Sea?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think burning garbage is a waste ( pun intended). The nearest city has just signed a long term agreement
with the natural gas company to pull off the methane that's rising from the main garbage deposit. Big money.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No ice in a daiquiri......
You should stop freqventing bars that do that. They cheat you big time!

It veered off slightly because of paper/plastic straws.

Do they still dump the rubbish from London in the North Sea?
Who said this was at a bar?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The first big scale 'experiment' of that was done in Kristianstad in Sweden in mid 1980's.

I lived and worked there then. Nobody believed it would work well, specially not during the winters.
Including me.

It did work. I think they are now on the end of the second rubbish heap.

Once the Methane peters out, they dig it, retrieve the metals, glass and plastic ( the first and partly of the second heap were made pre recycling) then the farmers can come and get the beautiful compost soil.

The Methane fuels the town's municipal hot water, for heating up of most of the towns houses, and most of the hot water ( tap) needs

Reactions: Erbswurst

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some American cities were extracting garbage methane for a profit, back in the early 1970's.
They became warm and wealthy for the town infrastructure. They made no fuss about it.
Just put a cap over the garbage and make money.

My back yard compost box is never much more than the lawn grass clippings.
I know for a fact that it does not freeze at -25C.
I haven't seen any evidence of small animals shelter there but I suppose that they could.

I like the idea of putting all the garbage in one place and extracting values from it.
We do that here at our "transfer station". You can dump just about anything except dead animals & parts.
Sort your vehicle load and drive in a 100M circle to throw everything in the correct pile or bin.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think we have to try to create less rubbish in our lives. For instance I learned only last month that every toothbrush I've ever used in my life.. still exists somewhere on the planet. That's 60 years worth! Frightening thought. Bamboo compostable ones from now on for me.
My bin did not go out this week. .. or last week. There is no rubbish in it yet since it was last emptied. I will have a bit by next bin day but it will only be about half a bin liners worth. So I probably put out one bag a month.
Obviously the recycling goes out each week mainly paper and milk bottles and the odd tin or two.
I'm realy trying not to create waste of any sort. Was hard at first but it does get easier as it becomes a habit to think

Reactions: santaman2000

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
In reality a lot of this packaging was a result of foodstuffs being messed with by idiots, who would hold supermarkets to ransom, which made manufacturers go mad with packaging to cover themselves, it's just the world we live in, totally unnecessary but I suppose people feel somewhat safer when items are well packed, especially in the health sector where cleanliness and sterility ( not sure that is actually a word) is vital.
To give you an example, when I was younger there was no such thing as a disposable nappy, nappies were made from Terry Towelling and had to be washed and re-used, washing machines were very basic, as was the washing powder, but people managed, I doubt whether most of today's young mothers would be capable of doing that sort of thing today, even considering the cash saving, and as we know disposable nappies are basically indestructible...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Methane extraction and marketing from garbage is big money.
I can't see why so many administrations are so thick and stupid NOT to go for the obvious free money.
Also I read that in Scandanavian counties, burning garbage as a power fuel is profitable as well.

Except for human black waste, if you packed it in, then you pack it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE