Burning Meths and Carbon Monoxide?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just a quick question for those more technically minded than myself.
Do meths stoves produce Carbon Monoxide if used in a confined area?
confused07.gif

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
yes would be the short answer, i was under the impression that they don't but was proven to be very wrong by the carbon monoxide detector in my living room quite recently. the best bit being that the damn thing is hard wired in and took us a good half an hour to disconnect, i thought the poor dog was going to go mad!

stuart

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Just a quick question for those more technically minded than myself.
Do meths stoves produce Carbon Monoxide if used in a confined area?
confused07.gif

Wouldn't of thought so as carbon monoxide is created when the burning of carbon has little oxygen- but i'm not positive although i have used them indoors many times :)

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
restaurants still use them (I know they are larger areas/volumes but there will be far more units burning)... yes it will give off CO2 but not Monoxide ( Complete combustion of ethanol forms carbon dioxide and water vapour:
C2H5OH (l) + 3 O2 (g) → 2 CO2 (g) + 3 H2O) but I doubt it can be that bad or H&S would have banned them years ago. I'd say if there was ventilation you would be fine. Pretty much every gas appliance used for camping stipulates that they should only be used outside or in areas with good ventilation...but most will be used in a tent at some time or other. :)
Just a thought

Sack

Run a check on ethanol/methanol but I'm pretty sure

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Definitely CO2 given off when burning meths/alcohol. I've also had burning eyes and a bad head from an old Trangia in a crusty old wet canvas tent with poor ventilation.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Definitely CO2 given off when burning meths/alcohol. I've also had burning eyes and a bad head from an old Trangia in a crusty old wet canvas tent with poor ventilation.

The burning eyes could be put down to the evaporated meths rather than the product of the burnt meths...the bad head...well the label does say not to drink it mate ;)

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
unless you burn almost all the O2 on the room (which is very unlikely) you wont start producing CO

at least from a chemical point of view

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
ok firstly, CO (carbon monoxide) is produced as a result of incomplete combustion. this is because there is not enough oxygen, in theory there shouldn't be any carbon monoxide produced but the fact is there will be trace amounts produced. the best thing i can say is better safe than sorry, try and use them outside where possible. if you're confined inside, open some windows or doors. carbon monoxide poisoning is brutal, it can't be smelled or seen but it will kill you if you inhale it. Take care campers. :)

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
ok firstly, CO (carbon monoxide) is produced as a result of incomplete combustion. this is because there is not enough oxygen, in theory there shouldn't be any carbon monoxide produced but the fact is there will be trace amounts produced. the best thing i can say is better safe than sorry, try and use them outside where possible. if you're confined inside, open some windows or doors. carbon monoxide poisoning is brutal, it can't be smelled or seen but it will kill you if you inhale it. Take care campers. :)

basically what i said, with an added safety warning ;)

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
unless you burn almost all the O2 on the room (which is very unlikely) you wont start producing CO

at least from a chemical point of view

i believe that you can still get carbon monoxide when there are sufficient levels of O2 in a room, the monoxide is due to incomplete combustion at the burner rather than the ammount of O2 in the room, which is why you get carbon monoxide build up in room, not counting the fact that carbon monoxide binds more readely to the red blood cells than O2 which does make it worse. I can try to check out any facts and figures at work tomorrow if thats any help?

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
CO will try and combust further to CO2 though if there is sufficinet O2 and energy, at least thats how i understand it from A level chemistry.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
basically what i said, with an added safety warning ;)
Not quite, you can still get carbon monoxide build up in an area with ventelation due to an in-efficency in the burner. the ventelation would reduce the effect to a confined space by having a flow through of fresh air but it would still mean the burner would be producing harmfull levels of carbon monoxide, fine under your tarp not so good in a snug debris shelter.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
There is a study on this on Backpackinglite.com where they tested lots of different alcohol stoves for CO but I am not subcribed and cant accesss the page.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Carbon monoxide basically binds with your haemoglobin - and stays there. So your blood is transporting lots of CO around instead of the oxygen you need to supply your cells. You don't need a lot of it to accumulate to toxic levels in your blood.

Wikipedia says that 667 parts per million of CO in the air can tie up 50% of your blood's carrying capacity. That's not a lot. For comparison, there's 390 parts per million of Carbon Dioxide in normal atmospheric air, which equates to 0.04% of total air volume. If my maths are right, if just 0.07% of the air in your room/tent/whatever is Carbon Monoxide, you will feel very ill.

I think the key to Carbon Monoxide production is high temperature. It's produced by cigarettes, internal combustion engines, coal fires etc. When my Swedish Army meths stove gets going it burns like a blast furnace...

So, yeah - I think we need to be careful. On the other hand, meths stoves aren't used for very long. 10 minutes for a brew - you can't get significantly more than that out of one before you have to refuel anyway. The real danger with Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a dodgy gas appliance, for example, burning all night so that your house slowly builds up with CO and kills you by cumulative effect while you sleep. I'll bet your CO alarm was responding to a spike of gas from your stove which if allowed to persist would be dangerous, rather than responding to a short term danger - if that makes sense.

So - my conclusion is, take sensible precautions, but don't go overboard. Brew up next to the doorway with the flap open, but don't feel you need to hunch under your poncho in a downpour to make a cup of tea.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Carbon monoxide basically binds with your haemoglobin - and stays there. So your blood is transporting lots of CO around instead of the oxygen you need to supply your cells. You don't need a lot of it to accumulate to toxic levels in your blood.

Wikipedia says that 667 parts per million of CO in the air can tie up 50% of your blood's carrying capacity. That's not a lot. For comparison, there's 390 parts per million of Carbon Dioxide in normal atmospheric air, which equates to 0.04% of total air volume. If my maths are right, if just 0.07% of the air in your room/tent/whatever is Carbon Monoxide, you will feel very ill.

I think the key to Carbon Monoxide production is high temperature. It's produced by cigarettes, internal combustion engines, coal fires etc. When my Swedish Army meths stove gets going it burns like a blast furnace...

So, yeah - I think we need to be careful. On the other hand, meths stoves aren't used for very long. 10 minutes for a brew - you can't get significantly more than that out of one before you have to refuel anyway. The real danger with Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a dodgy gas appliance, for example, burning all night so that your house slowly builds up with CO and kills you by cumulative effect while you sleep. I'll bet your CO alarm was responding to a spike of gas from your stove which if allowed to persist would be dangerous, rather than responding to a short term danger - if that makes sense.

So - my conclusion is, take sensible precautions, but don't go overboard. Brew up next to the doorway with the flap open, but don't feel you need to hunch under your poncho in a downpour to make a cup of tea.

now that sounds like very accurate and sensible advice to me!

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Short answer: yes.

For as far as I know, in practice, fuel combustion is never complete. Hence the need for filters/catalysts in combustion engine cars (an average camping stove won't easily beat a modern car engine as far as optimising the burning process goes).

To optimise oxidation (in this case the formation of CO2) you want lots of oxygen (a stoichiometric lean fuel mixture) and high combustion temperatures. Burning gas works better than burning liquid fuel (it's more efficient). Gas combustion is therefore more complete, resulting in less CO formation. So when burning meths, you want to transform them into gas before combustion. As all burner geeks know, you'll need pre heating of the meths for that. So you can use a Trangia style burner with pre heating chamber if you want to minimize CO formation while also making sure there is enough fresh air going towards the flame (by aiming the holes in your windscreen to the wind). Having a chimney effect around the burner which sucks in more fresh oxygen rich air should also help.

Remaining question probably is how much CO is formed in which conditions. The answer depends on burner type, fuel mixture, room temperature, amount and speed of fresh air delivered, ...

Might also be interesting, quote from Wikipedia about CO concentrations from a couple of sources:
Concentration Source
0.1 ppm Natural atmosphere level (MOPITT)[32]
0.5 to 5 ppm Average level in homes[33]
5 to 15 ppm Near properly adjusted gas stoves in homes, modern vehicle exhaust emissions[34]
100 to 200 ppm Exhaust from automobiles in the Mexico City central area[35]
5,000 ppm Exhaust from a home wood fire[36]
7,000 ppm Undiluted warm car exhaust without a catalytic converter[34]
ppm = parts per million
Note the exhaust from a home wood fire! Wood fires have an important contribution to the bad air quality in third world homes and fancy bushcraft tipi's ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very little is produced and obviously your not cooking in a sealed room so don't worry about it. For fun I've heated a back room with a marine alcohol heater and no problems running flat out it for five or six hours at a time.

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Just a thought, If something surposedly burns to give off CO2 , if it produces soot ie carbon ( C ) because of incomplete combustion, the intermediate stage is probably CO Carbon Monoxide .

MB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE