Burl Cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I have cut a a burl from a a fallen but green beech tree with the intention of making a cup/small bowl. Should I wait until the wood dries and seasons before trying to carve it out or can I do it now? :confused:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I've just done that very thing. I keep it in a large zip lock bag as carving is much easier when green and the bags lengthens the time it is like that.

I didn't leave enough thickness around the edges and it did split a little - so I start to apply veg or olive oil before it is fully dry to allow them to 'swap over' so the wood never really dries out, and they are non-toxic. It does mean, however that sanding smooth when still a little green is heavy on the glass paper and hard work.

Some idiot has gone around my woods playing with a new axe or something, so I have loads of wood to work, had to buy more sandwich bags.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Top tips guys.

One last question: Is it better to use an ember to burn the hollow or just carve it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE