burdock & knot weed

Came across these today
First one is burdock I think the flower stems just coming though
DSC00761.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

And this is jap knot weed I think , I am sure Fiona made a nice pud with this stuff at one of the delamere meets like rubarb crumble :)
You can see the old stem behind the new shoot. These plants are a pain take over everything
DSC00771.jpg

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Nope the top one's Butterbur!

I'm not sure about the bottom one being Japanese Knotweed. IIRC the shoots are more pointy as they emerge. I'll check next time I see one.

Jim

Thanks for pointing that out Jim i am not the best with plants :) The pink shoot grows up into very tall plants with bamboo like sections in the stem and has spring loaded seeds its a nightmare , I have to chop a path through it if I havnt been down that way for a while

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Spring loaded seeds sounds like Himalayan Balsam rather than Japanese Knotweed. It doesn't grow quite as tall as the Knotweed but is aslo very invasive. Ripe seeds are a nice munch though. Although to be honest the dead stalks do look like Knotweed.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The picture at the bottom looks like it has both himalayan balsam ( the seedlings with the two thick leaves) and Japanese knotweed (the pink frond). Last years knotweed forms a lot of dry stalks which are segmented like bamboo. Knotweed shoots tastes like rhubarb, but they turn very stringy once they get taller that your knee, it can be cut down and repeatedly harvested, this also allows other plants a chance of competing. I don't like the taste of Himalayan balsam but all of the plant edible. You have to make sure that no soil or root parts from the knotweed leaves the contaminated area, I either put plastic bags on my feet or change into tread-less shoes that then get cleaned at home.

Butterbur was used to wrap butter in hence its name. It can be eaten as vegetable, but I have never tried it. Burdock has more heart shaped leaves that are less round, and less flocked on the underside.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I don't like the taste of Himalayan balsam but all of the plant edible.

I've been wondering about that for a while, thanks for the info.
Perhaps a Himalayan Balsam feast at the next Bushmoot might be in order ( for those that like it of course )

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
Came across these today
First one is burdock I think the flower stems just coming though
DSC00761.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

And this is jap knot weed I think , I am sure Fiona made a nice pud with this stuff at one of the delamere meets like rubarb crumble :)
You can see the old stem behind the new shoot. These plants are a pain take over everything
DSC00771.jpg

The first one you picture is Petasites (I forget the other bit of the Latin bit), but it's not edible. Second plant does look supsiciously like JK.

From what people have said I think the pink shoot Is knotweed all the old plant from last year are still there dry and brown like bamboo but not very strong and it was very tall last year way above my head , I will take some of the shoots when they get a bit longer

Fiona how would I go about cooking them just like rubard with lots of sugar ?

xylaria

The first one you picture is Petasites (I forget the other bit of the Latin bit), but it's not edible. Second plant does look supsiciously like JK.

Petasites hybridus Butterbur, you are right it is diffenatly not an eater, the natural plant contains pyrrolizidines which cause liver cancer. The processed extract is effective in preventing migranes.

Japanese knotweed is cooked just like rhubarb. you will need to know that the site you are picking it from hasn't been treated with herbacide, everything except the knotweed is dead normally if this has been done.

Petasites hybridus Butterbur, you are right it is diffenatly not an eater, the natural plant contains pyrrolizidines which cause liver cancer. The processed extract is effective in preventing migranes.

Japanese knotweed is cooked just like rhubarb. you will need to know that the site you are picking it from hasn't been treated with herbacide, everything except the knotweed is dead normally if this has been done.

There is no herbacide its off the beaten track so safe to eat , Are Himalayan Balsam edible as well then ?
I am sure I saw mr mears using one of those butterbur leaves to wrap food in to be cooked , he said something like who needs tin foil , would this neutralise the phrrolizidines ? Or would it be safe just to use the leaf as a wraping for food but not consume it

xylaria

Pyrrolizidines are toxic like ciggerettes, your can deal with certain quantites, and recover, but taking it day in day out over a period of time does damage. Reciepes for comfry still turn up even though it has been know to contain pyrrolizidines for a few decades. I can't see any harm in using butterbur as a wrap, I would just refrain from eating the shoots sauted with garlic butter.

The leaves of himalayan balsam are eaten in its native tibet. I have tried them they have a persisant after taste when I have tried to cook them, and I have not worked out a way of making that go away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE