Bum bag / lumbar pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Now that spring is theoretically around the corner I'm wondering about using a large bum bag rather than a small daysack for those less challenging days out. Not all my walking is in mountains and I actually prefer not to have to take my rucksack off to get to my stuff.

Has anyone any recommendations for a decent bum bag /hip pack, large enough to carry a waterproof , first aid kit and a litre water bottle? I've seen the response pack clones on here but they look a a bit small for what I have in mind.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I love my Maxpedition Sabercat, it's got plenty of room for all you mentioned. I added a few more straps, a paracord grab handle and zip pulls. I got the Maxp 1.5" strap too for another carry option. I've got a 10x4 bottle holder to attach to it if I need it.

They're a bit pricey new but I got a bargain in British Blades :)

P1010092.jpg

Feb 25, 2010
Kent
Hi Stuart
What kit can you really get in the sabrecat... I'm seriously thinking of getting one for long springsummer days out!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've used a bumbag in the past but have recently bought a maxpedition colossus knock off instead(I reviewed it with photo's in the review section). I've never enjoyed wearing a bumbag and having to root about for something in it. The 'colossus' and the like are well documented on here, I still have my hands free and can attach a few bits of kit to the shoulder strap. Worth a look as an alternative.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I'll empty it out and take some pics later if you like no problem.

I can easily get everything I'm ever likely to need on a day out in it or an over-nighter. There's load of pockets and webbing to add more. The big compartment holds a lot of stuff. The belt is pretty comfortable and with the strap it can be used along with the belt to help carried the weight if you like.

I take my dog with me and I usually take 2litres and a Pre-mac WMP filter which I add for the 10x4 to have a bit more room if I think there's no water nearby. Most times just the Nalgene and the Pre-mac and a Platypus.

HTH,
Stuart

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
1.25 kg (and indeed more from reading here :eek:) weighs very heavy from a waist/bum bag.

I don't see the point (personally) of having a bum bag and then loading it up so that the only way to carry it is with a shoulder strap as it is then no longer a bum bag but a shoulder bag- there are loads out there that will hold an overnight kit and do it cheaply too.

Do you want a bum bag- worn around your waist or do you want a shoulder bag?

My own shoulder bag (Maxpedition Jumbo clone) carries 1 ltr water and metal mug and lid (dutch bottle and cup), 100ml meths, whitebox stove and windshield, brew kit, a mora, a folding saw, binos, Food for free book, GPS unit, 2 x lighters, waterproof matches, firesteel, lump of folded tin foil, folded loo roll, torch, reasonably comprehensive 1st aid kit (not small!) energy bars, a packet of savoury rice, packet soup, millbank bag. This isn't designed as an overnight kit although clearly it COULD be. I basically take it on any "proper" walk i.e. I go somewhere to have a walk- say 60 mins or more. The stove and mug weigh no more than an empty flask but I have access to fresh tasting hot drinks and soup. The rest is for, well; just in case really :lmao: I've not weighed it but it must weight 3 kg. I can't physically get any more in it but it would be too heavy as a shoulder bag then in any case and I would want a small ruck :eek:

i got a sabercat too, and with 2 crossed straps i can use it like a lowered backpack/makeshift assault vest, hanging from the side rings all the way to the first molle straps in the belt.
i usually carry a blanket and tarp beneath and water and cooking kit on the belt.
leaving the back either bare (helps with sweating) or to carry a water bag.
great piece of gear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE