Bull-roarers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Anyone else had a shot at a bull-roarer (I got a couple of hits from "Search") ?.
I was expecting a degree of tuning, having read about them in one of the SPT books; but within ½-hour of a plank of softwood, I had one working. A second one worked fine, too.
I used a spinner shape (teardrop), rather than an oval; mainly for 'aesthetics', but also on the assumption that fishermen had done the research on the appropriate geometry (no comments on Reynold's number, please).

No flint involved, I'm afraid. All steel cutting surfaces. And no photos: I passed the risk of broken windows onto the neighbours' children.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I haven't made one for years, but I've offered to help up to 50 guides make them in three weeks so I'd better get practicing.

Glad to hear yours works.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Sorry about that.
I'm sure that the SPT and their books will be mentioned elsewhere, if you have a dig around (I don't have a convenient link, I'm afraid).
They're good references, if not page-turners in the style of Northern Bushcraft. Some of the chapters are a bit pre-spell-check; but that is far outweighed by their enthusiasm.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I like 'em, a sound that gets the hairs on the back of your neck going. And a truly international "human" instrument. Found on every continent.
My soft wood one works well but the maple one I made doesn;t seem to go too well. According to spt you should use a very dense wood.
atlatl316xm0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
p224022612gj2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Used to make them when I was a kid, usually our of a split piece of willow. We got fed up with having the string twist up tight so we used to incorporate a cheap but large fishing swivel in the line to prevent this hapening. They rarely failed to work, but things only became really interesting when the cheap swivel wore out, parted company, and sent the wooden bit off at whatever tangent it liked ! :lmao: Theyc ertainly make an eerie noise, especially if heard from a distance on a misty day...
We called them a "woomera" as thats what we thought the Australian Aboriginies called them (Don't know if thats correct though).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE