bulk buying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
what would people wat in bulk then. I expect to go and would be happy to sort out small items though as I don't drive I couldn't sort out bulky bulk buys.

This is not an option for very good reasons. I didn't know trading wasn't allowed at BCUK meet ups.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
You might be best with small stuff Andy. I'm thinking items for survival kits, paracord is always in demand or fire steels, Things that people might buy a couple of and you can buy loads to get a good price each.

Hope that is the kind of thing you were after.

Bill

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Chaps, I hate to put a damper on this...however :roll:
The BCUK Meet up is non-commercial. There was no trading at this summer's meet. At the present time there is no intention to allow organised trading. Buying a bunch of fire steels and handing them out for £5 (or something) a piece would be trading.

Its a fine line between bringing a hand full of something and swapping it with friends, and bringing a bucket load and trying to turn a profit. We don't want to spend time trying to work out complicated rules to differentiate between the two.

If you want to arrange a bulk buy between yourselves could you do so via PM. As the site grows there will be an increasing number of informal get-togethers of members, such as the one in Ashdown. If the guys putting them together don't mind trading, best of luck :) , but please don't plan on doing this stuff at the BCUK meet.

Thanks

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Sorry,

I didn't mean to upset the mods... it was indeed just to save on postage... eg: get a guage if people want loads of stuff from one shop and order it in... get the money via paypal or whatever when I order and just bring the stuff along to the meet.

I wasn't intending on trading or having any kind of mark up of any kind.

I also didn't want to spam PM people asking if they wanted anything while I was at the shops :wink:

Joe

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I didn't mean to upset the mods...
You didn't, thats ok :biggthump

it was indeed just to save on postage... eg: get a guage if people want loads of stuff from one shop and order it in... get the money via paypal or whatever when I order and just bring the stuff along to the meet.

I wasn't intending on trading or having any kind of mark up of any kind.
We know you just intend on saving postage.... that is quite obvious from the posts....... Its not about you making a profit.

Please remember when we ask for something to be stopped on the forum it will be for a very good reason..... one that you may not of thought of, or something behind the scenes. Posting things like 'but i only wanted.....' only takes up moderaters time justifying/explaining why we have done something..... time which could be better spent else where. :biggthump

One of the main reasons why we do not want this a public thing is as follows......
We have strict rules about no sellers at the BCUK meetup. With a public thread like the one you have posted, dealers/sellers may offer to sell you the goods in bulk now and bring them to the meetup and therefore getting around our no sellers/dealing rule.... it could just turn into a free advertising thread and at worse a trade war.
It would be grossly unfair to say you can organise a public bulk buy as long as you don't buy off a member to avoid the situation above don't you think?

I also didn't want to spam PM people asking if they wanted anything while I was at the shops
Paid up subscribing members can always post in the members classified advertising a bulk buy and get people to pm them.... If you want to use BCUK to get something on a commercial level, ie buying in bulk to save postage, we ask for you to subscribe and put a little something back into BCUK.

Hope that explains a few things. :biggthump .....
Ed

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ed said:
and put a little something back into BCUK.

Ed,

Please don't read this wrong... but I thought I had put back into BCUK with my previous posts, I'll admit that most of them weren't that useful but I thought I was contributing... just not financially until now.

Joe

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The rules here are pretty simple. No commercial activity outside the classified section. No access to the classified area unless you have financially contributed to the site.

These are fair rules and are in place to protect the integrity of the site and prevent exploitation of the site and its members for commercial gain.

Post count, quantity or quality of information or fast response to questions is not part of the criteria for use of the classified area. This is not a unique arrangement and is common to many other sites.

Unfortunately there is nothing to distinguish between you bringing a bunch of stuff that you have got a discount on by bulk buying, and selling it at cost to save postage, and the guy you bought off coming and selling direct at a discount.

I think that this thread has pretty much reached the end of its useful life.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
but I thought I had put back into BCUK with my previous posts, I'll admit that most of them weren't that useful but I thought I was contributing
Yep :biggthump.... you are quite right you have contributed to the infomation on this site... I do not question that and I appologise if you read me wrong..... and hopefully you have found some gems of knowledge yourself. That was what the site was origionally intended for.

What I was talking about was 'financial'.
We ask if you are going to make financial gain from BCUK (and cheaper postage is a gain to you) we ask that you help support us financialy in a small way by yearly subscriptions.

As I have already stated, we have no problem with you sorting out bulk buying privately via pm or email etc.... but if you want to use the BCUK public forums for financial gain and the advertising of it, then please subscribe.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE