Bug out kit

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Hi all,

Please some advice. I have put together my bug-out bag recently and I would like to doublecheck it with the experts on the forum. I've added the main use for ech component based on Protection, Location, Water & Food as an indication only.

Kit weight: 2450 gram
Dimensions: 20*20*10cm

MOLLE pouch, with attached:
Led light/strobe, red (L)
Flashlight, white/red (L)
Knife, Frost Clipper (P)
Sling, canvas, 5cm wide​

And containing:

Compass, w/ mirror, Recta DS40 (L)
Poncho, w/ paracord 550, 5 mt. (P)
Rope, 20 mt, 3 mm, black (P)
Rope, 20 mt, 3 mm, sand (P)
Garbage bag, PE, large (P)
Pot, titanium w/ lid & steel hanger (W/F)
Mug, titanium (W/F)
Spoon (F)
Bottle, Nalgene, 1lt, (W/F) containing:
Duct tape, 10 mt (P)
Lanyard, with attached:​
Firesteel (P/L/W/F)
Compass, w/thermometer, Silva (L)
Whistle (L)
Contact lense case​
Light, Petzl E+Lite w/case (L)
Lighter, butane (P/L/W/F)
Tampons, 2
Pencil
Aquaclear tablets, 50 (W)
Leatherman Supertool
First aid kit (P)
Plaster
Disinfectant wipes
Paracetamol
Steristrips
Paper clip​
Wire saw
Emergency blanket, aluminium/mylar (P/L)
Paracord, 550, 3 mt (P)
Paracord, 550, 10 mt (P)
Fishing kit, in film cannister (F)
Snare (F)
Salt, in film cannister (F)
Safety pins, 6
Sewing kit​

Thank you in advance for any useful comments.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Have a look for a post by the great British Red, I am sure he did a 72hour BOB on here somewhere...:D

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Tengu, thanks.

I was thinking of using the water purification tablets for the washing bit, incl. teeth.

Quick washing (hands/feet) with sand & ashes.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
heres my list

BUG OUT BAG LIST

wash kit
SAS book
radio
dry bags
72 hours food
Sew kit

clothes

FAK
standard PSK

----------------

fire and shelter
sleeping bag
matress
pillow bag
shelter
candle
firesteel
windproof candles (1 box)
lifeboat matches (
matches
disposable lighter
blanket ?
paracord (15m?)
other cord?
saftey line with carabiner
tarp? (6` by 8`)
tent pegs
Survival bag ?
spaceblanket
elastic bands
plastic ties
torch (windup)
shermagh

-----
cooking
bottled water
waterbottle??
water bag
1 metre tube
funnel?
bag for water
millbank bag
water purifying tablets
foil
can opener
mess tin (?)
spork
folding cup
hexi + stove
stove and fuel (which one??)
plastic bags
cloth bag

-----
tools
pen,
pencil
paper
multitool or SAK (camper?)
folding saw
E tool(?)
sharpening stone
cloth gloves (latex??)
duct tape
wire
compass
local map
whistle
reflective sam brown or vest (??)

fishing kit

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Crash bags, BoBs are or could be great if there is a "local" problem, Buncefield was a prime example of toxic fumes belching out over a populated area, so having a bag with some gear in "to go" would be real handy, what about the reservoir that nearly collapsed last year, some people got 5 minutes to leave, in their night clothes, so if they had one of these they would have some familiar items around them.

Even TPTB are recommending similar bags in areas that might flood at short notice.

Guess it makes sense to have something handy to get out of Dodge for a few days.

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
just out of curiosity What are you expecting to use these Crash bags for and when ???
i assume civilisation hasnt ended as your coming home in 72 hrs

and why no money etc

My BOB partially doubles as my wilderness kit. That means that I can get home from work, and be out in the woods for a few nights in the wild, in minutes. No packing or preparation. Perhaps only a change of clothes and shoes. Regardless of weather or time of year. If that wasn't possible, then I've got the wrong stuff in my BOB. Actually that capability is my number one reason to have a BOB in the first place. To be able to quickly bug out of civilisation, to the bush, for a few days.

But the BOB should also sustain me if I decide to go by foot to some other safer location. Or help if I have to stay home without power in the winter and the roads are closed for a few days (weeks?). Or stuff like that.

But that may not be how others think about their BOBs.

Money is part of my everyday carry. (EDC)

A.

Crash bags, BoBs are or could be great if there is a "local" problem, Buncefield was a prime example of toxic fumes belching out over a populated area, so having a bag with some gear in "to go" would be real handy, what about the reservoir that nearly collapsed last year, some people got 5 minutes to leave, in their night clothes, so if they had one of these they would have some familiar items around them.

Even TPTB are recommending similar bags in areas that might flood at short notice.

Guess it makes sense to have something handy to get out of Dodge for a few days.

yep but most seem to be a survival kit for a disaster etc your not going to disapear to teh woods :D
i would consider money to be in the kit as yes i do carry some but not a lot and it could be spent before i neded it
as well as phone or additional charging kit for the one i carry to phone relatives or authorities

my current BOB is set to rush to hospital around cristmas for the birth of my son :rolleyes: while dropping his sister some where

BTW i used to have several plastic barrels buryed round the new forest :D :rolleyes: ready for the russians to come (not sure if i ever found them all )

ATB

Duncan

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
yep but most seem to be a survival kit for a disaster etc your not going to disapear to teh woods :D

Duncan

But that is what a BoB is Duncan, a survival kit for a disaster, something you would grab if you had to leave in a hurry. Not sure where the "disappear to the woods" comes into it necessarily?:confused:

oks my suggestions for Disaster

Flooding area
Flotation suits (see fishermen kit ) warm float and bright
for small kids rescue rafts are easy and life jkts bright colours
raft might be usfull for all your BOB stuff as well and make sure its in Water proof bags
cloths that wont lose heat when wet etc
water proof phone or phone case
Chemical glow sticks (bright ones )

For Chemical and other toxic fires near by
extra burn kits
Breathing masks you can get them tro industrial PPE shops 3M do a wide range might give you time to get out or grab the kids ( you will have to rotate the canisters every few years etc like food )

All electronic copys of important Data scans of insurance and other Documents espesially ID including the family members and contacts all in easy to access formats etc on Hardened USB sticks one for each family member on a necklace etc to put on as soon as
perminamt marker to write names and postcodes on the for arms and a ref to USB your Mobile No maybe

decide where it goes ie if its at home you might not get to it if it in the car your family might not

plan of where your going to ge to for saftey and how (make sure every one knows this)

pelnty of other Situation specific stuuf i spect to

ATB

Duncan

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
perminamt marker to write names and postcodes on the for arms and a ref to USB your Mobile No maybe
decide where it goes ie if its at home you might not get to it if it in the car your family might not

Duncan thanks, the perm marker for the kids is a very good one!

A lot of the other things (money, copies, phone & usb) are already in the EDC.

Keep coming!

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Some thoughts:

Does your wire saw actually work? I've tried a couple, and they were junk.

What is there to snare in the Netherlands? Have you ever snared anything?

Salt works great for brushing teeth.

Gauze pads and tape might be important in your first aid kit.

53 meters of rope and paracord is a lot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE