Buffalo - which one is best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Is Merino the wrong material to use for the base layer with a Buffalo? Merino doesn't wick that well but works by absorbing up to 20% of its weight in water and keeping it away from your skin. The way Buffalo DP system works is by wicking moisture away from the skin to evaporate on the outer surface of the pertex. IIRC the pertex is supposed to spread the sweat across the surface to evaporate faster. The pile is supposed to move moisture quicker than pretty much any base layer hence the recommendation to wear next to the skin.

IF you use a base layer then it needs to be the best wicking material you can get which is not merino. Try polypropylene. The modern Helly Hansen is less pongy due to anti-microbial treatments. There is the risk that a slow wicking layer or a layer that works by absorbing moisture like merino then you end up getting wet through in rain only for the wicking performance of the buffalo not to work. I've worn overwhelmed (wet through) merino before and it took ages to dry. I still remember getting wet through once and despite sitting in a very warm put next to the fire I never dried out where the merino was. My trousers wer wet through where the merino boxers were but dry elsewhere. Not a good look.

It really does not make sense to wear anything underneath as the pile is better at wicking than anything else there is. It can be a bit of a problem when it gets so warm you have to take it off, so the best thing is to keep a base layer in your rucksack for such occasions.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It really does not make sense to wear anything underneath as the pile is better at wicking than anything else there is. It can be a bit of a problem when it gets so warm you have to take it off, so the best thing is to keep a base layer in your rucksack for such occasions.

+1 to this.

As the earlier poster suggested it might take a leap of faith but you shouldn't wear anything under a Buffalo top, keep the Merino shirt for when you stop for the day. :)

Hrafnmann

Jan 19, 2013
BC
Is Merino the wrong material to use for the base layer with a Buffalo? Merino doesn't wick that well but works by absorbing up to 20% of its weight in water and keeping it away from your skin. The way Buffalo DP system works is by wicking moisture away from the skin to evaporate on the outer surface of the pertex. IIRC the pertex is supposed to spread the sweat across the surface to evaporate faster. The pile is supposed to move moisture quicker than pretty much any base layer hence the recommendation to wear next to the skin.

IF you use a base layer then it needs to be the best wicking material you can get which is not merino. Try polypropylene. The modern Helly Hansen is less pongy due to anti-microbial treatments. There is the risk that a slow wicking layer or a layer that works by absorbing moisture like merino then you end up getting wet through in rain only for the wicking performance of the buffalo not to work. I've worn overwhelmed (wet through) merino before and it took ages to dry. I still remember getting wet through once and despite sitting in a very warm put next to the fire I never dried out where the merino was. My trousers wer wet through where the merino boxers were but dry elsewhere. Not a good look.

Duly noted. I'll keep the merino for when I do the wool thing and dig out the polypropylene if I decide I need a thin base for the Buff. The layer system was drilled into me long ago so it will be a shock with this whole single Buffalo system thingie. I certainly could have used the Buff today while snowshoeing for 5 hours...the blasted sweat was not wicking away fast enough for my liking. I wish I could ditch the pack too since my back just sweats something fierce but then how does one carry all their gear? I'm pondering a Maxpedition Versipack but I hate feeling lopsided with a load, and a pair of those would just be crazy.

So much fun trying to reconfigure your system.

Thanks for the info!

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
I have a buffalo, and something that is useful in your kit. I have a "activelite" shirt for 99% of the time, my buffalo special6 mostly resides in a compression bag in my sack, should sh*t hit the fan. In very wet weather where any jacket will eventually leak in a buffalo is very useful underneath other jackets. There are good reasons why buffalo have never advertised much and kit has stayed the same, it works! But that is my opinion.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I also have a Buffalo Special 6 and wear it most of the time, windproof, warm, well fitted with ventilation options, dries in no time if soaked. Also have the S6 trousers which are great under combats in cold weather, zip from trouser cuffs to near waist, if too warm. No experience of other similar type garments as read up loads on reviews before buying and am extremely happy with these products. Only thing the shirt misses is the velcro for the hood attachment but then again folks don't seem to happy with the hoods fit and i am happy to use other headwear options so no issue for me. Good luck in your eventual choice decision.

Last edited:

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Yeh, just take that leap, I've used the Mountain shirt for years and have a range of jackets with different materials and this is my go to top. You can put a t.shirt on underneath when in town and use the zips to stay cool. I'm experinenting with a Kifaru Tailgunner II as bum bag, with the waist strap through front pockets to eliminate wet back.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I've had a special 6 for years plus the hood. I love it for camping, walking and climbing. But when it warms up I switch to either a Montane prism jacket or rab vapour rise smock. If you find the smock a problem try looking at the belay jacket instead. As others have said if your moving and run hot then the buffalo is only really any use below 5 deg C, otherwise it's too warm!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE