Buffalo - which one is best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've always wanted a buffalo smock double pile when I was younger but never had the spare cash. Now I have the cash, loads of gear already but feel I have room for a Buffalo. I really don't know what is best. I would have said the special 6 our mountain shirt (smocks with DP). Now I know a lot more about gear and what i am like when out and about so I don't think these options even suit me now.

Basically I have rab VR jacket, synth generator smock, Me lightline smock, haglofs barrier II gilet, loads of windshirts, various pertex equilibrium softshell jackets. All of these I have sworn were perfect when I got them but now??? I am not so sure. Thought I would try buffalo since ppl rate them.

I want a smock (love them) but I would like to be able to wear about town when it is cold without looking like a member of the MRT who is lost. That means a jacket. I also run hot when walking so the mountain shirt and the standard DP jackets and smocks would be too warm in all but very cold based on what ppl say. I want to use it when active (I walk fast and stop little, also I use an oversized synth smock at stops for warmth) so dop not need the DP level of warmth. I am thinking of the lighter Rab vapour rise level of warmth but windproof. Also to look kind of normal for town use.

The question is what would you recommend? Have you tried anything from Buffalo that is not too warm can be used over a base layer or other layers if warmth is really needed or if in town and looks kind of normal enough for town use??

or should I just get a DP smock since i always wanted one and look for something else for the above???

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Can't give advice as I've not had one myself, but Shewie has a Special 6 shirt for sale over in the classifieds

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
To be honest, you'd be better off with some Paramo gear !!! I have the adventure smock, and the waterproof/windproof smock they work well together and if it gets really cold I can wear a micro fleece over my base layer and be toastie!! Keep checking on ebay 'cos you can drop on some good buys as Paramo Seconds have a shop on there!! I've got an Arktis Mamouth shirt, and that is way hot - I just wear a base layer and that if it's really cold !!!!!!

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I have a generator smock and a special 6. The Buffalo is warmer than the Rab, but I find that the Buffalo breathes better than the Rab which can feel clammy when your working hard. I'd say both would be too much insulation if you run hot. My next Buffalo with be an Active Light smock with the thinner insulation; it looks like a good compromise.

atb

Mark

+ 1 on the Paramo gear. The velez adventure or the light version look good. I have a Halcon jacket and am really pleased with it.

Last edited:

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
I have worn a special 6 for about eight years(not continuously:) ) with nothing underneath its fine out walking(hills, woods, tails)

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I run hot but love my buffalo.I can still wear it in the woods, just open the side zips.
On the hill they are brilliant, simples.
I actually need a new one and will get another.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Love my Special 6, had it 8 years. Great on the hill, Buffalo have it spot in when they say its suitable from October to April. I normally wear a tech T or Ulfrotte 200 in the cold. In wet weather I prefer my Halcon.

How about the Paramo Taiga?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've had a special 6 for years using it in all weathers and it's bombproof. You can run hot in it but as Barn Owl says just open the side zips. It's designed to be worn next to the skin the most I've worn under whilst out walking/working in it is a silk top. One of the bad days I've used it was a full day walk on Dartmoor in horizontal rain. Kept me warm even when i stopped for a brew as it dripped dried, i had to wring it out when i got back to the car. Used it casually whilst up in Turku, Finland at the height of winter just walking around town with a shirt on fantastic. Slipped it on at the top of mount Kinabalu waiting for the sunrise so toasty and wind proof. I have slightly outgrown mine and since moving up here I went for the Montane extreme jacket. As good as the Buffalo but with the convenience of a jacket. My wife suggested I get rid of the buffalo but I couldn't bear to part with it. My name is Scoman and I like buffalo!

happyfish

Aug 26, 2009
Pembrokeshire
I have a Mardale version that I have had for years. Very pleased with it and cheaper than a Buffalo shirt. My wife has a Montane which is perhaps the warmest of these types of shirts and one to avoid if you run hot.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I have the tecmax, the mountain shirt and a active light shirt
If you run hot, get the active light, the PForm mini rip stop outer exceeds pertex in every way IMO. And the lining is much less prone to wear than the standard fibre pile
Its currently being a day to day shirt for me
Atb
Ben

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Hrafnmann

Jan 19, 2013
BC
After much reading on here and elsewhere, I just pulled the trigger on a Buffalo Active shirt. I needed something for snowshoeing that would cut the wind and wick, all the while not being bulky. This will be a leap of faith for me going starkers underneath (or maybe with a light merino shirt) so I hope it works. I went for the Active mainly for the mini ripstop material as I tend to have to travel through some fairly snaggy terrain. Now I just have to wait 3 weeks or so for it to get here to test it out.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
This will be a leap of faith for me going starkers underneath (or maybe with a light merino shirt) so I hope it works.

Is Merino the wrong material to use for the base layer with a Buffalo? Merino doesn't wick that well but works by absorbing up to 20% of its weight in water and keeping it away from your skin. The way Buffalo DP system works is by wicking moisture away from the skin to evaporate on the outer surface of the pertex. IIRC the pertex is supposed to spread the sweat across the surface to evaporate faster. The pile is supposed to move moisture quicker than pretty much any base layer hence the recommendation to wear next to the skin.

IF you use a base layer then it needs to be the best wicking material you can get which is not merino. Try polypropylene. The modern Helly Hansen is less pongy due to anti-microbial treatments. There is the risk that a slow wicking layer or a layer that works by absorbing moisture like merino then you end up getting wet through in rain only for the wicking performance of the buffalo not to work. I've worn overwhelmed (wet through) merino before and it took ages to dry. I still remember getting wet through once and despite sitting in a very warm put next to the fire I never dried out where the merino was. My trousers wer wet through where the merino boxers were but dry elsewhere. Not a good look.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Had a buff s/6 for about 15yrs, its now worn waifer thin on the inside & has numerous nicks & cuts in the outer fabric. I replaced it with the snugpak version(half the price)which has a better neck & thumbhole cuffs, but the fit is not as good, nor does it have the waist adjuster thet the buff does, for me the buff is the best.

Rob

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Worn Buffalo Special 6 shirts for years. Great kit just use the zips. You will probably get rid of a lot of coats you own when you have one of these.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE