buffalo vs nanok

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Hey all,

I just registered, so this is my first post here.

I enjoyed reading all the other threads, so I wanted to start one of my own. I currently own a RAB quantum 400 down bag and it is a super fantastic bag. Light and very warm! However, for sleeping under the stars in a forest with dirt and moisture everywhere, it is a little to fragile...
I am looking to buy a bag that can take a bit of abuse and is warm.
I am thinking about the Buffalo Superbag and the Nanok endurance -10 or 0 degree. I have read a lot of review and opinions on these bags, but nothing about a comparison between the two.

I want real life experience from users. I know the weight and size from the websites, but since I live in belgium, I cannot try them on, so I want you to tell me how they "feel". Also, what would be a good online store to buy the bag?

Sorry if there already was a comparison and I missed it. If this is the case, please excuse me and direct me to the thread if possible.

Just for your info: Fallkniven S1 and Hilleberg tarp 10 XP are great pieces of kit!!!!!!

Best regards,

Bjorn

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I use both. The Buffalo Super bag in damp conditions and the Nanok Endurance -10 in dry.

At the full members meet, last but one weekend ago, I had the Nanok inside the Buffalo in my hamock and was a bit too hot. I ended up with the Buffalo open but still keeping the drizzel off the Nanok.

Welcome to the forum by the way, I'm sure you'll find it useful and people are pretty friendly around here. :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I've just bought the Rab 400 Quantum but in the Endurance model so that it has a pertex outer to help keep the damp at bay. I was planning on using it within a lightweight bivvi bag at all times, just to protect it. Sure is small, light and toasty...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi and welcome,

I have all three sleeping bags and a couple of the Woodlore Nanok equivalents,

I have used the Superbag on its own on a year long walking trek across Europe and Turkey, its as tough as old nails and is easy to maintain, however it is huge, it will take up much of the main compartment of a Sabre 45 pack and it is very very heavy.

I have been using the Nanok bags for the past year and have had no bother with them getting a little damp, nor have I noticed any deterioration after prolonged use. Additionally the 0 degree bag packs to a more sensible size and is much lighter.

A better choice than the buffalo for anyone planning longer trips into the wild.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
I'm thinking more Nanok right now. Also for the price...

Can anyone tell me how much weight I can save by leaving the detachable foot bucket a home?

Thanks,

Bjorn

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Hi and welcome,

I have all three sleeping bags and a couple of the Woodlore Nanok equivalents,

I have used the Superbag on its own on a year long walking trek across Europe and Turkey, its as tough as old nails and is easy to maintain, however it is huge, it will take up much of the main compartment of a Sabre 45 pack and it is very very heavy.

I have been using the Nanok bags for the past year and have had no bother with them getting a little damp, nor have I noticed any deterioration after prolonged use. Additionally the 0 degree bag packs to a more sensible size and is much lighter.

A better choice than the buffalo for anyone planning longer trips into the wild.

Excuse me or digging up an old thread!

You say the buffalo is very large and heavy, but the size and weight seems similar to the Nanok -10 which I have and it does not seem VERY large. I am interested in either a Buffalo or Woodlore bag for myself as my partner likes the nanok and so we're in need of another. I like the central opening zip idea since I find that with the nanok the top part rests on my face even when slightly unzipped, but central opening zip could solve this.

Any ideas?

I'm small and the Buffalo comes in smaller sizes whereas the -10 is quite large, perfect for my partner and our baby son.

Alternatively I know the Mountain Equipment bags are quite good and you can get some which zip together, but then we'd have to get two new bags. Or do the Nanoks zip together?

What do we think of Ajungilak? I know Ray Mears liked them.

thanks

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I'm considering one of the Woodlore bags, primarily because I prefer the central zip arrangement. I'd be interested in any comments on the range, and any alternatives.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Army issue dos bag with central zip, slept in it in ALL sorts of weather never let me down yet!

cheap too from a surplus store.
plus you can use it with cotton, fleece or silk liners when needs be.
Just my 2p worth.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
Army issue dos bag with central zip, slept in it in ALL sorts of weather never let me down yet!

cheap too from a surplus store.
plus you can use it with cotton, fleece or silk liners when needs be.
Just my 2p worth.

That was my first thought.

I have spent many nights in both the stinky 58 Pattern and the modern versions - possibly where I got the centre-zip thing from. I don't really want a used military bag, which seems to be all that's available, however.

I have a new arctic mil bag, but it's too warm for some circumstances, and I'd like a smaller pack size, too.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
buffalo all the way with me...

If you're getting the superbag you'll want to get either a buffalo shirt or a modified 4 season inner (with arm zips).

Bomb proof bag dries amazingly fast and is REALLY warm... only issues are that it's really claustrophobic and really bulky.

If those 2 things don't bother you, it's the perfect bag I think.

it's important to note that buffalo bags and clothes work by being a very tight fit... other lofting stuff like down jackets and nanok bags rely on not being tight.

Not very impressed with the Nanok endurence range. Poor quality control and workmanship has resulted in the compression sack going in the bin on the first day I got it, and it has needed a number of seams repaired after the material frayed. Nanok themselves were absolutely no help at all when I contacted tham about it. I would definately not buy another one or recommend them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE