Buffalo Special 6 - astonished

• Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Own a special 6 and a belay, love them beats anything I’ve tried for walks, hillwalking. Bought my first one in 1990. Still my go to coat for outdoors

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Been wearing this a lot now and it’s a great item.

I have found that:

Dry + cold in the single figures I need a t-shirt (cotton t-shirt if just walking the dog!) or baselayer (poly-propylene if active) underneath for medium activity, fine on its own for high activity levels - need to throw something over it if stopping for an extended period of time though.

Warmer (early double figures) it is fine on its own up to medium activity levels but to warm for more than that.

Fine on its own in the rain with the temp in double figures

Not tried it in the rain in single figures yet with a base layer or without but I will.

Amazing in the wind, really good at blocking it

Imo it could do with some extra padding in the kidney area and when the wind is ‘right’ it can come in the side zips a bit

But Overall very happy with it, and performs well but it is not a one solution (on its own) for all situations imo. Still very pleased with it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
I had a Buffalo cycling top (probably still have it somewhere) but stopped using it as it was too warm. Even in a blizzard I had all the zips fully open trying to keep cool.

The other problem was the crotch strap, it used to catch under the saddle which would often result in some painful saddle action - snipped it off after a few rides.

Now I am much older and slower and I feel the cold more I might dig it out and start using it for canoeing and camping. It will always be too warm for cycling.

Reactions: Winnet and MrEd

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.