buffalo sleep system dimensions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello,
Im looking for a 4 season sleep system and both the nanok and buffalo bags, among others, sound like they're good.
Ive read the buffalo bags are tough and their performance shouldn't deteriorate too much so i figure second hand might be an affordable option, but i'm worried about the size and can't find any reference online.
Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the xl size, either the superbag or 4s inner and outer? I'm particularly worried about the width (shoulders, middle and feet).
any info. would be a big help :)

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Have to admit that guesstimated size chart put me off a little too I decided to go with the nanok endurence -10 although i've used the buffalo mountain jacket for about 9 years now excellent kit
Dave.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have used several Buffalo bags since the early eighties, the last was the 'Superbag' usually used on its own and occasionally with a buffalo inner.

These bags are really tough and will cope with tall, large framed people.
:)
I used mine almost constantly for three years, while traveling and working in Eastern Europe, Greece and Turkey. However toughness aside much can be said against them.

They do not perform well at very low temperatures (sub -10).

They do not pack down well (you would struggle to fit both bags into a Sabre 45 pack).

They are very very heavy.

Over the past year I have been trying out some alternatives, The Nanok bags are superb, at one point there was a UK supplier offering both the 0 degree bag and the minus ten degree bag at a discounted rate which is a pretty good deal.

That said I now have a Woodlore Golden Eagle which is manufactured by Nanok to their specification, this is a heavier bag than the minus ten, but better designed and fitted with superior zips (but it is more expensive).

My Nanok bags are destined for the classified section in the new year :)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have used a buffalo 4S outer and inner for a few years now, it is used all year round in tents and bivvies and as yet has never failed me, It as has already been said, does not pack small nor is it light!.

I am 6ft and 16st and have no problems with the Large sized bag

Hope this helps

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
cheers for your help so far :)
i have heard back from buffalo, apparently the width when flat on the x-large 4s outer is about 80cm but that doesn't ring true to me, i figure it must have been another guess-timation, especially when i take into account what everyone says about them fitting large frame people. I don't want (and can't afford) to make another mistake with size, i bought a vango 3 season bag a little while ago without being able to try it on and i havent been able to use it, it's 80cm wide but i can't even get both arms in. I'm reasonably tall at 6'5" but i'm not built like the proverbial "brick ****house", maybe i've got freakishly large elbows
:D. If anyone has the actual measurements of the buffalo i'd be grateful but it's looking more like i'd be better off going with the nanok bags, any further advice would be much appreciated. :D

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
ive used the buffalo superbag for a while now
great in any weather even when you are soaked
in winter i use the sp6 shirt aswell to sleep in
they are heavy but only as heavy as a military bag around 2 kg
and pack down to around the same size as a 58ptn bag
tough as old boots and am 6ft sleep with cloths on and have no problems

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good kit.

I was going to get one made for me but they said that they couldn't (58" chest) which was a huge shame. I ended up buying a Black on Black but I really wanted the Buffalo :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE