Buffalo 4 season experience?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
All I can do is echo what has been said already the 4s outer is a really good bit of kit I have the XL and its very roomy on its own. I'd agree that it's not the lightest bit of kit in the world and it's also quite bulky as you can only compress fibre pile so much. But the fact that it's quite tolerant of getting dirty, damp or soaking is very quick to dry out and easy to air and launder at home make it very flexible it's probably my most used sleeping bag after my Aussie army issue one.

My only complaint is the stuff sack it comes with was utter pants. However it fits nicely into a medium sized Oirtlieb bag and once the air is squeezed out fits the sleeping bag compartment on a Vulcan nicely.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply guys!
I am pretty convinced by this system so i will try and find one to go and look at.
If I like it I think that I will buy the outer and then ask for the rest for Christmas :)

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 18, 2012
Huddersfield
I have a 4 season inner and outer that's 25 years old now and still going strong. It's a particular way to sleep that some don't like - very snug and you don't roll over in the bag, you take it with you as you roll. Mine has a tip that runs down the centre of your face - never figured out why as it's far too tight and claustraphobic to do up... Very cosy, deceptively warm and you can get it as dirty and wet as you like... highly recommneded.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi just reviving the thread somewhat ;)
I have used the Buffalo system for around 20 years, I would agree it is a heavy and bulky system but as mentioned damp isn't an issue.
one issue I've had is the front zip has failed a few times but this is likely due to it's age, the real good thing, the zip is repairable, just undo it then, do it back up!
One of the layers (2 seasons) on it's own is a reasonable weight considering it's multi uses as a jacket, and as mentioned you don't really need a bivi bag.
Because of the Gimp-like zip up face it's stange to get used to but is good at keeping out bright light, bugs, as well as cold air.

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Handy hint... order a super bag and 4S inner and ask Buffalo to pit arm sips on the inner too. It's what I got for my wife and she was good down to -32C in Finland in it.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I use a Superbag in Summer and also own a 4s system which I purchased to use in Finland in the winter but field trials proved it was only suitable down to +5C.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I know a few people with buffalo bags and tbh can't really see the appeal of them. They're heavy and bulky for their warmth, and even then i don't think they actually go that low down temp rating wise. Last time i tried a mates one it was very tight fitting although being marked as a large. They are durable however.

The one i used also had arm zips, if i remember correctly they were an extra £10 ish to get added, and you had to either go to or phone the factory to ask for them.

Tonyuk

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you haven't tried them then don't knock them, Tony.

I have a summer bag, and I've used it in a hammock very comfortably in summer uk. I've slept out in chilly (dropping below zero) temperatures with just a pile jacket on; I wasn't snuggly, but I didn't freeze and that back is more compact and lighter than several synthetic 'summer' conventional sleeping bags I own.
As others have mentioned, with these bags you can survive light rain and wind easily without needing an additional bivvi bag.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If you haven't tried them then don't knock them, Tony.

I have a summer bag, and I've used it in a hammock very comfortably in summer uk. I've slept out in chilly (dropping below zero) temperatures with just a pile jacket on; I wasn't snuggly, but I didn't freeze and that back is more compact and lighter than several synthetic 'summer' conventional sleeping bags I own.
As others have mentioned, with these bags you can survive light rain and wind easily without needing an additional bivvi bag.

I have tried the though, a few times, and never seen the appeal.

You could of got a better sleep that night with a good synthetic bag, which would of packed down to not too far from the pile jacket, and would of been warmer.

The shell covering on most synthetic bags is windproof anyway, and some, such as the ones on the new issue defence 4 copy are waterproof. But i still wouldn't want any bag getting wet, that just increases weight (already a issue with the buffalo bags) and reduces their insulation. A good bivvy bag, paired with a good synthetic sleeping bag, will pack down smaller and be lighter than the buffalo bags. The bivvy bag can be used to also keep other kit dry too if you get one large enough.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE