Budget soft shells?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys,

Starting to think about a jacket for later in the year..

I think I'm done with hardshells for the time being. I'm much more comfortable with a semi-waterproof jacket and a poncho for when it buckets when out camping, and in the city I'm quite happy with an umbrella for the most part.

I've never owned a soft shell before. Looking for some help. Something shower/light rain proof, reasonably breathable (ventilation zips like a ski jacket would be ace), windproof, no insulation, and lightweight. Ideally I'd like to keep it under the £100 mark. High collar would be good, hood or not I'm not bothered.

Lots of end of ski season gear sales so something ski orientated might be on the books but really I'm clueless as I've never considered a softshell before.

I currently have a northface softshell vest (the bionic vest), and it's about that kind of level of windproofness and waterproofness I'm after, but really I don't understand the need for a waterproof vest - what about my poor arms!! If it were more breathable, and didn't have the fleece lining I might consider the jacket version.

What do you chaps recommend?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Decathlon Quechua or Go Outdoors sell - Hi Gear and regatta, £20-£45 should get you a decent one. I really like them, breathable, warm and comfy For hillwalking or canoeing, there are really dry compared to a hard shell, as in less condensation.

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
+1 for Go Outdoors, they tend to have some nice soft shells in there, their price match is always good to look at as well, very easy to find stuff they have in another shop for less, then just go back to GO and get it at the cheaper price and an extra 10% off.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Montane do some nice stuff, the Krypton is worth a look, they breath really well despite not having pit zips

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
+1 Montane. Tend to be very high quality. I use a pertex smock with vents galore and a thermal lining. Great when you are moving eg MTBing or hillwalking. Very breathable. Cold when not moving though.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I bought a Dare2b hooded softshell,used it in the lakes over easter and very impressed.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I know its not a soft shell, but for a decent warm and windproof fleece I find the berghaus Hobart great. Can pick it up cheap at the moment, it has a water repellent coating that'll cope with a bit of rain till you can get shelter or your waterproof out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Tesco direct catalogue lists regatta softshells for £25. Millets blacks mountain warehouse and of course trespass are all worth a nosy.
I got a trespass gilet for work, ok the pockets are smaller than TNF, at £20 compared to £65 for the same from TNF who cares.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Paramo have a seconds shop on Ebay, you should be able to get something for about a ton thats worth much more..

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
My hi gear was was cheap and it shows when it needs / try's to perform , thanks for the heads up on the seconds store TeePee .

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i've got a regatta softshell and i love it bought it not expecting much but i've had it 4 years, used it pretty intensively and its still going strong good bit of kit for the price

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
not a soft shell as such but in between a fleece and a jacket thats waterproof and breathable etc, i use a sleeker elite jacket which is about £60 delivered, good bit of kit, designed for soldiers so it tough as out....:)

or as above really regatta do an ok version for a quick bimble etc...

hope this helps

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, in the process of google-fu'ing my way through them.

Whatever I get I really don't want it insulated.

I like the idea of Montane, I have one of their pertex windshirts and I've worn the crap out of it and it's still going - use it hiking, longboarding in the colder months, and all through the 2nd half of this ski season.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
i've got a regatta softshell and i love it bought it not expecting much but i've had it 4 years, used it pretty intensively and its still going strong good bit of kit for the price

Yep, I bought two from Arco for £20 each a few years ago. Really good value and I've worn them pretty much daily at work since.
No way on earth would I be spending silly money on one with a posh name on the front when these have lasted so well.

They are pretty tatty round the cuffs now but that's daily use on building sites for you.

Not seen them in the same design recently as mine have the breast pocket and two hand pockets. I'll have a ratch before long as I could do with a couple more.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Berghaus Big Wall Musashi shell if you can find one. I got one on the bay a few years ago and use it a lot from skiing and snowshoeing as a top layer and in the warmer weather with just a base layer underneath.Amazingly tough and pretty watertight too.Berghaus Big Wall stuff is all excellent kit.
Cheers , Simon

ubermeister

Jun 17, 2007
Nottingham
+1 I have a Regatta soft shell, and I pretty much live in it. Canoeing, mountainbiking, walking, camping, kite flying, I even work the doors in it. I've had it for a few years now, and I love it.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
According to their advertising, Aldi will be selling a softshell from Thursday 19th. Not sure what it is like, but thought I would mention it. Price about £20 from memory.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE