Budget soft shells?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
According to their advertising, Aldi will be selling a softshell from Thursday 19th. Not sure what it is like, but thought I would mention it. Price about £20 from memory.

They had some last year - a friend bought one, and they were very good. If these are the same, I'll be getting one. Thin fleece on the inside, and the outer is hard to describe - sort of slick feeling (almost like neoprene, though it wasn't!), and water ran off it pretty well, though I wouldn't call it waterproof. Decent build quality too.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i love soft shells, i got a togg 24 thats a hooded. the velcro cuffs are rubbish mind but overall comfort is superb, i also have one from work, a cotton traders type, same again, its thinner than the togg but as good. my only complaint with both, not breathable for walking hard, you stay warm, don't get me wrong, but you're wet inside. i do run hot mind, personally, the hardened softshells like those mentioned above are very good strong jackets, warm and durable. price doesn't seem to make any difference to performance unless you want a waterproof one, then expect to pay a lot.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
According to their advertising, Aldi will be selling a softshell from Thursday 19th. Not sure what it is like, but thought I would mention it. Price about £20 from memory.

I bought one last year from aldi- and have worn it pretty much every day since- fabulous bit of kit. Long sleeves, fairly slim fit- perfect!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
ive looked at those, they are the spit of buffalo and montane gear. you've got on well with it? whats the product like? and the cut?
Check out the Trakker Pertex Sweat shirt... got mine from Climax Tackle in Sheffield for £45. Pile lined shell meant for fishing, but looks very similar to the Montane, but cheaper.
cheers
Gareth

garethw

Settler
ive looked at those, they are the spit of buffalo and montane gear. you've got on well with it? whats the product like? and the cut?

hi there
The product is nicely made, Trakker does good quality gear generally. Cutwise its way on the small side. Luckily I knew this before buying and got a bigger size. The pile lining is thick and I believe like other such tops its designed to be worn over a T shirt or thin under garment.
I usually wear a large, but got XL for this and it fits ok.. Still couldn't wear it over a thick fleece though, but over a light micro fleece its very warm and comfortable.
cheers
Gareth

garethw

Settler
aha, might look into these then, the sleeping bags are supposed to be good too aren't they? like buffalo systems.

Yes I've heard good things about their bags... big though!! I'm not a fan of fleece lined bags, as while they are warm to crawl into, if you sleep in clothes like I do you end up tied in knots. You can't roll over. My military bags are nylon lined so I slide round when I turn. They soon warm up once you have been in them a few minutes.
I do have a Trakker goretex, pile lined cover, that is great for fishing or over the top of the hammock in winter.

cheers
Gareth

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have a soft shell in xl if you want to buy or swap it its black as I have another one I'm willing to trade this. Let me know if you are interested. I can get you more info & pics if needed.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
'Something shower/light rain proof, reasonably breathable (ventilation zips like a ski jacket would be ace), windproof, no insulation, and lightweight. Ideally I'd like to keep it under the £100 mark. High collar would be good, hood or not....'

How about a Paramo Fuera Ascent? Available for around £60. I've got one of these and am really pleased with it. Nicely styled, durable material and very well made. Huge ventilation pit-zips; works well with any of your usual baselayers and very effective with one of the Paramo base layers or reversible shirts (could be tracked down for around £45). I have found this to be a very adaptable combination.

Out of your suggested budget, I know, but Paramo also do a special 'fleece' type inner that can be bought later specifically designed to pair with the Ascent jacket, which effectively makes the combination a waterproof, but it's not cheap at around £115, although it gives you three options; fleece on it's own, jacket on it's own, or worn both together.

No I don't work for Paramo...I've just spent loads on their stuff.

BoDuke

Apr 9, 2012
Plymouth
I have a Montane soft shell that I paid just under a ton for and a Regatta that I got in a discount store for £15. In my opinion, there's nothing to choose between the two apart from a Napoleon pocket on the Montane and I spend more time in the Regatta. Maybe because if I ruin it, it doesn't matter. Both are good jackets but the Regatta for the money is the better buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE