Budget Bushcraft Knife and Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey there, I'm fairly new to bushcraft and I've been meaning to make this post for a while. I've realised for a long while that just having my Mora won't always cut it (pun intended) so I've been wondering if you guys could help me find a good all-round knife for bushcraft at under £40. I'd need it to be a nice all-round knife so it's not specifically focused on a single task. As I'm a full-time student, I don't really have much money at all to spend on knives and axes, I'm afraid. I'll have to save for quite a long time to even get these, I imagine.
Also, I've been looking for a good axe for under £40 too. I'd prefer medium to long in handle length, but other than that I'm up for suggestions. I've been looking around for good deals, but I figured I should consult some experienced people on forums beforehand.
So, please give me knife and axe suggestions, and if you can find a good deal online, that information would also be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

There's a really nice, capable looking knife on offer for just £50 here:http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123151

I'd have it in a heartbeat but don't have the cash, and need to hang on to my "Kelly";)

cheers and good luck

Steve

PS: the Fiskars axes and hatchets are pretty good but I'd plump for a "boot sale rescue" and re-model and sharpen it to suit my needs.
something like this;

or one of these;

cheers

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Your Mora will do just fine, add a axe or hatchet as mentioned above and your good to go.
Keeping the Mora gives your an extra 40 pounds add that to the purchase of a good axe, I use a GB myself but other choices above are possible.

MrFrido

Jul 5, 2013
Reggio Emilia Italy
I'd suggest you to keep the Mora, or buy an Opinel for a budget knife, or look to the Condor knives like the Rodan or similar.

You can also buy a 6 € tramontina machete and reprofile it to your needs. or search for an old carbon steel knife in a thrift shop. I found several hand forged billhooks for prices ranging from 1 to 3 €.

The same could be said for axes. search for old forged ones in thrift shops.
I would go for a folder and a billhook instead of axe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE