budget axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Hi all,

I am new to this site and wanting a bit of advice.
I want an axe to add to my outdoors camp kit, but I'm a bit of a budgeteer at heart but will pay a bit extra for real good kit. I have looked around and those bushcrafty ones, I think are a bit steep? I was brought up to respect good quality tools spotted this at B&Q Spear & Jackson 2.5lb Axe £23 that seems reasonable to me any thoughts appreciated.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ries<{9392052}/specificationsProductType=axes

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What do you want to do with it? I have bought a bunch of cheap axes and my experience is that the steel and heat treat on most is as good as an expensive axe. They are not as pretty but the real problem is the grind. They tend to come with very thick rounded edge. This is fine if all you want to do is saw and split firewood. If you want to cut wood either felling or carving then they need a lot of work either with a file or a grinder. The husqvarna hatchet is a good compromise around £25 with a leather sheath and comes sharp.
here at £22 inc P&P http://www.gardenmachinesltd.co.uk/husqvarna-576-92-64-01-hatchet-2170-p.asp

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Yep husqvarna gets the vote from me really sharp hand forged in sweden,nice sheath cant go wrong for the price

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Have you thought about looking on ebay for old hatchets or axes in need of repair or restoration work. Most of the old tools found on ebay and at car boots are likely to be British made and will be of excellent quality. All they need is a bit of work to get them back into useful condition, but no more than that of a new (cheap) hatchet will need. As Robin points out, if you know the intended use of the axe, you will be able to make a more informed decision about your purchase.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I agree with Robin and Silverhill Forge - great quality can be had on the cheap but you will need to put in more work.

There was a sale at Argos a couple of years ago now that put an axe at £3 - it became a craze and many people on the forum bought one or two. (myself included) and I have to say that although the edge did need work - it is a fantastic axe and makes an excellent carver.

On the other hand I love restoring old axes found for pence at car boots.

Ebay is a great place for axes: I'm tempted by this one myself
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-S...itecural_RL&hash=item2565a5b5ae#ht_500wt_1156

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AXE-KENT-...ble_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item519a56e390#ht_5
00wt_1156

What you really need to ask yourself is what do you want the axe for? Splitting? chopping? Carving etc etc.

Most people only really need a hatchet rather than a longer handled axe.

If you do what to splash a bit more then the Husquvarna axe would serve you very well.

Andy

Highfield

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2010
Gloucestershie
IMG_2440.jpg

Cant beat this for the money, I thnk I paid £20 delivered last year from Gardenmachinery.

Husquvarna.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have a very expensive and rare hatchet, bought a few years ago from Aldi for the princely sum of £2.50.

An hour of work with a fille and some wet+dry on a mouse matted sanding block left me with a very good tool, every bit as sharp as an old Marples hatchet I have and the edge seems to last well.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Careful with the weight of the axe head too, If you want to do a fair amount of close hand work such as cutting, shaping & carving then the lighter the head, the more control you'll have over it thus the better the results & less risk of accidents ( both to yourself & the object your working on )....... it's also lighter to carry!
I would forget the spear & jackson one, at over a kilo it's gonna be a touch unweldly.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A kilo axe is fine for camp duty, no need to spend any more unless you are into carving etc. Most only use an axe for its intended purpose at the end of the day.

The Argos axe was a great deal, wonder who started that craze :tapedshut

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Thanks for all the guides & tips!

I especially like Stone-age Bushcraft added to my favourite outdoors shops already cheers Beenn!

I have taken it all on board & I'm looking at a couple of vintage ones on ebay otherwise I think I'll look at some lighter new ones!

Thanks again

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
I am really getting into bushcraft, but did not own an axe. I ordered a Husqvarna Traditional Multipurpose Axe earlier in the week. It arrived last night. First impression - the handle was very rough. I took a red Scotch-brite pad and smoothed out the handle. In Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft" book he shows a drawing of the axe handle in an arm pit and the hand around the axe head and says that an axe this size is the most comfortable to use. In that aspect it is a perfect fit. It came with a simple leather cover for the edge. It has a very sharp edge. It is hand forged and was made in Sweden. I am going to get some gun stock oil for the handle. Overall, I am happy with it.

The link below is a someone else's review.
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2010/12/husqvarna-traditional-multi-purpose-axe.html

The link below is for the manufacturer
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/accessories/tools/forest-tools/traditional-multi-purpose-axe/

forestaxe.jpg

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I am really getting into bushcraft, but did not own an axe. I ordered a Husqvarna Traditional Multipurpose Axe earlier in the week. It arrived last night. First impression - the handle was very rough. I took a red Scotch-brite pad and smoothed out the handle. In Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft" book he shows a drawing of the axe handle in an arm pit and the hand around the axe head and says that an axe this size is the most comfortable to use. In that aspect it is a perfect fit. It came with a simple leather cover for the edge. It has a very sharp edge. It is hand forged and was made in Sweden. I am going to get some gun stock oil for the handle. Overall, I am happy with it.

You must not forget the head my friend, it'll rust very quick if not treated. For handle it's cheaper to use just a simple veg oil, linseed oil, or treated linseed oil. That's to anybody's liking ;)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
What do you want to do with it? I have bought a bunch of cheap axes and my experience is that the steel and heat treat on most is as good as an expensive axe. They are not as pretty but the real problem is the grind. They tend to come with very thick rounded edge. This is fine if all you want to do is saw and split firewood. If you want to cut wood either felling or carving then they need a lot of work either with a file or a grinder. The husqvarna hatchet is a good compromise around £25 with a leather sheath and comes sharp.
here at £22 inc P&P http://www.gardenmachinesltd.co.uk/husqvarna-576-92-64-01-hatchet-2170-p.asp
What Robin said buddy in my opinion you wont get better for the money .

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Already have a Laplander but at the price of the husqvarna hatchet I just couldn&#8217;t resist the temptation so just bough one as well.

So that&#8217;s Laplander, knives, Axe and still haven&#8217;t managed to get out bush crafting yet.

I think the term for me at present is all the gear but no idea. LOL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE