budget axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
Already have a Laplander but at the price of the husqvarna hatchet I just couldn’t resist the temptation so just bough one as well.

So that’s Laplander, knives, Axe and still haven’t managed to get out bush crafting yet.

I think the term for me at present is all the gear but no idea. LOL

Hi Grendal did it come toyou sharp???? The reason i ask is here http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2026

The carpenters axe i bought local was a jem; the hatchets mail order took a lot of work to bring them up to scratch

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Axe arrived today. Nice and sharp as well.

Axe006.jpg

Out of interest what is best to oil the wood with?

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
Am glad your happy with it. i use linseed oil on mine. I notice that yours has a red hickory handle the same as my carpenters axe; the small axes i bought had whiteish handles, i have read somewhere that the Husky folks changed the makers and the new stock has white handles. i wonder iff its the new stock that isnt up to scratch. Anyone else bought one of these small axes lately????

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
All sorted got a circa 1900's Elwell 1.25lb hatchet! Can't wait to create something when it arrives!

Thanks for all the advice!

That should work out really good. Elwell do some cracking axes. I have really started to get into restoring old English axes. Its good fun and gives you a tool to be proud of.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
the hatchets mail order took a lot of work to bring them up to scratch

Funny you mention that, it seems that there's two different types of Husqvarna hatchets out there, one supposedly made by Wetterlings which I have and looks like the top one in this picture I found in the internet as I can't be arsed taking a picture of my own.
It came very sharp indeed.
The bottom one is the newer version.
Is yours the top or bottom version?
l%252520%25252893%252529%25255B3%25255D.jpg

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
i'd rather spend extra cash on a quality axe like a gransfor bruks.
like a knife, an axe is a very important tool; why muck about with something that important?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
i'd rather spend extra cash on a quality axe like a gransfor bruks.
like a knife, an axe is a very important tool; why muck about with something that important?

I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree with that comment. Not in that the axe is not an important tool, but that you have to spend lots to get a quality tool. - how many native peoples have GB axes?

Southey - their website still shows the top style of axe
http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/landowner/accessories/tools/forest-tools/hatchet/

Unless they simply haven't updated the site?

Andy

Last edited:

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
Funny you mention that, it seems that there's two different types of Husqvarna hatchets out there, one supposedly made by Wetterlings which I have and looks like the top one in this picture I found in the internet as I can't be arsed taking a picture of my own.
It came very sharp indeed.
The bottom one is the newer version.
Is yours the top or bottom version?
l%252520%25252893%252529%25255B3%25255D.jpg
The two i bought from amazon are the same as the bottom pic, they have turned into good users but took alot of powertools to sort them.

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
Am glad your happy with it. i use linseed oil on mine. I notice that yours has a red hickory handle the same as my carpenters axe; the small axes i bought had whiteish handles, i have read somewhere that the Husky folks changed the makers and the new stock has white handles. i wonder iff its the new stock that isnt up to scratch. Anyone else bought one of these small axes lately????
I am more confused now Grendals purchase has exactly the same head as mine with a differrent shaft

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE