Budd blade knife and sheath build

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I've had a Budd blade that's been needing a handle for yonks, and a couple of pals also had blades to handle so we all got together at my place this weekend and got to work. I wanted a rustic look for my seax so went for some very old oak from a friends farm, with two peices of antler for the bolster, and Ryan went for yew with antler and then today I ran a sheath course for him to finish it all up :)

HalfGoat Budd Sheath by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Budd knife 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Budd knife 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

my handle just kept getting shorter and shorter!

HalfGoat Budd knife by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Knife Making Weekend 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Knife Making Weekend by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Our genius method of compressing the handles whilst waiting for epoxy to harden overnight

IMAG2462 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Nice work Hamish, quality will always out :)

I think that handling and sheathing a knife is well within the ability of a lot of people, but perhaps many are put off by the chance of making a mistake, or thinking that they need a lot of tools. But even a roughly handled knife is a joy to adapt, re-shape, improve and refinish until you get what you really want. There is also a lot of satisfaction in later using a tool in which you have had at least some work and input.

Keep up the good work!

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Nice work. I see a lot of these circles with dots in the center on a lot of dug up tools what do they represent? Some times it looks like they are just randomly placed all over the tool by the smith.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the ring and dot motif is a very common decoration going back to the bronze age (though really kicks off in the iron age). I don't know that it represents anything significant, but it's a very simple technique that looks good on most things :) Ifit's random, then chances are the maker was just talentless. Normally a design is made up from the rings, such as a line (like here), diamonds, etc

Nice work. I see a lot of these circles with dots in the center on a lot of dug up tools what do they represent? Some times it looks like they are just randomly placed all over the tool by the smith.

Dreadhead

Ok so immediately after making this I spent 2 weeks overseas without the knife, thinking about adding more length to the handle. So as soon as I got back, it was modding time ;) much happier now the handle has more length, a better feel, and some more pretty ring and dots :) though im a bit bored with the sheath so may make another when i return from being overseas again this weekend.

Half-Goat Leatherwork Budd Knife 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Half-Goat Leatherwork Budd Knife 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Half-Goat Leatherwork Budd Knife 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Half-Goat Leatherwork Budd Knife 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
Nice, really suits the blade shape. What are the curly things on the sheath? They look interesting ;)

Dreadhead

much better :) I've done similar things on knives I've made in the past. You finish it and there is a niggling feeling about it; turns out it's just unfinished

I've gone and done the same with the sheath haha! decided it needed something a little more special. Oak to match the handle with a leather welt in the wood. Sheepskin wrap with some leather braiding around the top edge and an antler square for dangler system. Currently making a nicer carry strap with ring and dots on it too...when does it end!

HalfGoat Leatherwork Dave Budd Seax Sheath Final by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE