Buckskin brain tanning course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys,

I was on my first bush craft course this weekend with backwoods survival school here in Scotland.

Had a great time but it was a lot more physically demanding than I expected. I have found muscles I didn't know I had. :D

I must say I was surprised with the results of my first ever tanning. I have gralloched a few deer in my time but never skinned for tanning and really wanted to learn this awesome skill.

It was a great weekend even if I felt like my arms where going to fall off at times and can't wait to start tanning my next skin.

Here are a couple of pictures from the course. Hope you like them.

0f3897fe02acd5b508d82821b2345905.jpg

a90085922dc0164a5ecc5c3fc4e6873a.jpg

69b258ea318c50c3d5a37c6c8259c310.jpg

David-Allan - BikerSco

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

He's good people is Patrick :cool: but by heavens he makes some absolutely beautiful stuff :approve: and he's a good teacher too.

Thanks for the photos :D

M

:D

He's good people is Patrick :cool: but by heavens he makes some absolutely beautiful stuff :approve: and he's a good teacher too.

Thanks for the photos :D

M
He sure is Toddy. Have you seen his canoe he made from hide and wood with no nails or glue. Just amazing.

cb90730eabe6e73ced62434b4f2c055c.jpg

6aafeb99782745f006f8ccee5aadab52.jpg

This is like a piece of art to me.

Patrick is a great teacher and a task master but he does it for your own good. He pushed and pushed me so my hide was so soft when finished. If he hadn't pushed me I would have stopped and went to bed but ended up staying awake till past 2am stretching that hide and the results where great.

D-A

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great kayak. Seems to me that if your life depended upon it, staying up for hide work could be no issue.
Imagine 6 weeks of total night time in winter. Might as well have something to do!!
You people are so fortunate to have educators to pass along these skills developed over so many
thousands of years.

Great kayak. Seems to me that if your life depended upon it, staying up for hide work could be no issue.
Imagine 6 weeks of total night time in winter. Might as well have something to do!!
You people are so fortunate to have educators to pass along these skills developed over so many
thousands of years.
Yeah completely agree. Was real hard work but well worth it.
Awesomeness! That canoe is an artifact, a work of art...
Thanks for sharing
It's amazing work, he is very skilled.

D-A

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've known Patrick for a while now, and I own some of his pieces :D
It's not just the skill he has in making from raw materials, but there's art to his work too, and the pieces, from firebow sets to bone and leatherwork are beautiful.

I'm an archaeologist and he brings those tiny wee shards that we find to life :D :cool: makes tiny piece of carved bone suddenly become the reality of the very capable tools that our ancestors knew and used. We're only here because they were capable people and thrived. When I see Patrick's work, when I use the tools he has made me, I really appreciate the entirely of it all.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE