Brynje String underwear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Heard a lot about this and wanted to try some.

Couldn't find a UK supplier, so wrote to them directly.
If you want the Super Thermo stuff they will supply directly, and they are helpful in taking orders and answer in lovely if somewhat archaic English.

I'll let you know what it's like when I get a cold day and delivery.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
New age, as less soggy.
Their Cotton stuff has a distributor - see below.

Brynje take paypal and are fairly swift with the replies.
I did fancy an Antarctic jacket but bottled a bit

"Below please therefore find name and address of our importer/distributor for our BRYNJE STRINGUNDERWEAR:
Aquarius Trading Company Ltd.
P.O. Box 58
Cranbrook
Kent TN18 5XZ
UNITED KINGDOM
e-mail: mswift@aquarius-trading.co.uk"

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
The superthermo Brynje is very good stuff. It is a poly net not cotton. Hard to find over here also, but well worth the effort and expense. This is the only poly underwear I use now (mostly gone to wool). I find it ideal for cool season wear and the top excellent for summer under a light shirt for both ventilation and as a thicker barrier for mosquitos to have to work against.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
The superthermo Brynje is very good stuff. It is a poly net not cotton. Hard to find over here also, but well worth the effort and expense. This is the only poly underwear I use now (mostly gone to wool). I find it ideal for cool season wear and the top excellent for summer under a light shirt for both ventilation and as a thicker barrier for mosquitos to have to work against.

Ah - I wondered where I'd heard about it - almost certainly you, OM.
I thought it would probably be ideal underwear for colder days....

I'm still toying with some merino underwear but unless it comes in EFB size (48" chest - with arms that will fit a 6'8" span... - oh, and LJ that will do 36/38" waist with a 33" inside leg... I', a bit stuck - My Lowe Alpine Dryflo in XXL fits fine :D

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
If it is very cold and my activity level is low to moderate my favorite way to use the Brynje top is layered with wool. That is a layer of superthermo topped with thin or medium smartwool or ice breaker. This under my usually assortment of mid layers and outer layers is pure warm heaven.

For higher activity like x-country skiing I like the superthermo tops with my thinnest ice breaker top as the outer layer and superthermo bottoms under my breeks (I was going to type knickers....but....). Then when I stop for a break a wind shell or fleece top is all I need, none of the chills that I used to get with plastic tops like capillene which had so much surface moisture I would be chilled before I could even get my fleece out of my pack.

The superthermo top under a very thin but tightly woven shirt (nylon, or cotton/poly) is perfect for summer....the mosquitoes cannot seem to get through the thickness and any movement vents well. The mesh keeps the shirt from getting stuck in sweat especially under my pack.

String underwear is really top end stuff. Too bad it is so hard to find, and too bad so many folks have been fooled into believing that plastic underwear is somehow high tech....I consider it almost useless compared to net and thin merino wool.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Right, the kit arrived this morning, safely packed in a padded envelope.

I ordered XXL.
I'm 6'3" tall about 18 stone 7, 48"+ chest, 40" waist at largest, 6'8" armspan. 7 1/2"+ head.

The gear all fits me fine; it's meant to hug your body, and it does, but not bind (obviously it stretches to accomodate those of us with generous size guts). The hat is splendid, comfortable and warm and the long sleeved vest is easily long enough for my orang-outang arms. The ordinary vest is fine.

I'd recommend the product so far.
I can't tell you what it's like in the cold, as I haven't been able to arrange a frosty day.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Is this sort of garment good for improving the performance of a sleeping bag? I have a firewalker III that quotes a range of 10 to -10 and VCOMFORT limit as -5 and VCOMFORT as +1. It was very comfortable with polycotton single layer gymjams in a tent with inner liner and 2 other sleepers down to about 2-3 degrees a couple of weeks ago.

But will it be good in a shared Norwegian Laavo in January when outside temperatures are down to -20 at night?

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
We've had threads on this underwear before and I'm not trying to be silly (unlike another poster ;) ) but what is the difference between this product and a regular string vest or fishnet tights (as worn by ladies)?

I haven't ever seen these garments in real life so I've only got the pictures and what is said to go on. I'm also a bit sceptical about all of these man made fibres, they promise a lot but I find they often don't deliver.

Just wondering.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I've not used this underwear for real yet (I've tried it, it fits, but it's not real cold just now :D).

I *have* worn string vests before now, and used one last winter. it's certainly warm. This stuff just seemed less likely to leave any sweat on me, as it ain't cotton.

I'm still looking at some merionstuff - just need it for EFB size - and as schwert suggests, it might go nicely on top of this stuff.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've not used this underwear for real yet (I've tried it, it fits, but it's not real cold just now :D).

Go and sit in the fridge!

From what I gather Rebel, it is the small pockets of air that will be trapped in the gap between the skin and whatever is on the other side of the string vest that keeps you warm. It's a tried and tested type of clothing, so I see no need to doubt it. I reckon you just want total proof by seeing soa_uk wearing it in some pretty revealing photos!

:D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If its good enough for Rab, its good enough for me:)

rabcnesbitt_wallpaper04.jpg

Another fashion/sport trend doing the rounds, string vests were 'must have kit' 40 years ago:rolleyes:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
try again, can a mod delete the last two post of mine, I can't edit/resize them?

String vests, a blast from the past, used them 40 years ago, so whats new really?

rabcnesbitt_wallpaper04Small.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE