Bronze curved knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Seeing a post about hook knives reminded me of a bronze hook knife made for me by bronzesmith Neil Burridge.
Similar to the illustration it works for stripping bark from hazel, for example, and on carefully chosen wood. Sharpening is critical but I enjoy using it. The plan is to use it for paddle and component shaping for prehistoric boat building projects.
The hook knife was something apparently missing from the Bronze Age toolkit but fortunately some examples have now been identified.

It complements the bronze chisels, also made by Neil, that have been used on the reconstruction of the Bronze Age Boat at the Maritime Museum, Falmouth.

Note where the example was found, not far from the location of the Ferriby Bronze Age Boats which although earlier indicate an area with a boat-building tradition.
http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/163567

Nellistfinds%20007.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's interesting :) Is the edge hardened ? Scraping and such like but how about shaving timber too ?

I have a sickle that Jojo made that's a copy of a bronze one, and it's a very useful tool.
The bronze one did take an edge but it was a bit in need of what my bother called 'peen hardened'.

Always good to see tools with a bit of history and long practice attached to them :D

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, thats very nice.

Neil Burridge is a very nice and knowlegable man, -but oh so secretive!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a bonny looking tool Boatman.

I wonder if they were deemed missing from the toolkit as earlier examples could've mistakenly been down to tools being ritually "put beyond use"?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
That is a very valid point Goatboy which hadn't occurred to me.

My chisels are tanged and I think that later socketed ones would be better because of the tendency for the tangs to split the handles from the way that chisels are used..

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Socket tooled crooked knives are still used for cross-grain hollowing of spoons and bowls.
While mine are flat-bladed, surface hafted tools, I would love to work a block with such a bronze
masterpiece.
Imagine the effort to produce the casting mold!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE