British Modular sleep system. help needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 24, 2016
buxton
hello guys, my first post here.

Just bought myself this sleep system, i have the medium weight carinthia 4 copy bag, the light weight bag and a liner. the light weight bag ties inside the medium bag with colour coded ties but there are no ties inside the lightweight bag. As far as i can see, i can have either the light weight bag OR the liner attached to the inside of the medium weight bag. Am i missing something as i thought the liner would tie inside the light bag and the light bag inside the medium bag.

Dec 24, 2016
buxton
s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KvsAAOSwOtdYVZMK/s-l1600.jpg

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Hey there - I have the same system without the lightweight bag as I have the Snugpak Jungle bag instead. So far I've not needed to used the jungle bag inside the Medium bag.

I 'believe' the liner is only used with the main bag. The other bag is intended for the warm months where, from a thermal POV you wouldn't need the minimal increase in insulation that the liners offers, although from a practical POV I'd prefer to be able to use the liner as it reduces the contamination of the bag so you don't have to wash the bag as often.

The liner is also cut the same as the main bag (front zip), whereas the light bag is side zipped so it can be opened up and used as a blanket. Its probably why it isnt tagged on the inside for the liner.

I've used the main bag with the liner a couple of times now. It's probably the warmest synthetic bag I've ever used, having gone through the 58 patt bag (feather and down), The 90's GS bag, and a couple of early British made Snugpaks (Discovery and Softy 3) during my reserve service 85-99 and lots of leisure activities. I still have the Discovery in the loft, although its past its best now its over 20 years old.
My only gripe WRT the liner would be it's a bit of a faff when hammock camping, and the complete system is too bulky/heavy for long distance backpacking.

My last hammock sleep was around 4 degrees c with a Snugpak underblanket and the main bag with liner inside my hammock. I was toasty warm. Normally my feet get cold when sleeping out but I never felt it once.

I'm going to buy the light bag for my son as he also has the medium bag and liner already.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
hello guys, my first post here.

Just bought myself this sleep system, i have the medium weight carinthia 4 copy bag, the light weight bag and a liner. the light weight bag ties inside the medium bag with colour coded ties but there are no ties inside the lightweight bag. As far as i can see, i can have either the light weight bag OR the liner attached to the inside of the medium weight bag. Am i missing something as i thought the liner would tie inside the light bag and the light bag inside the medium bag.

Heh, i have the original system (Defense 4 + Tropen), and those don't even have attachments on the Tropen to attach. There are some loops inside of the Defense 4. I think that's only meant to be used for the sleeping bag liner if you have theirs, since that's what tangles up fast. Haven't had to use both together yet though. Lowest we get here, the Defense 4 is plenty for me. I wouldn't worry about it tbh.

Edit: With not attachments on the tropen, i mean on the outside, to attach to the defense 4. There are some attachment loops on the inside.

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
On mine the liner can only be attached to the medium bag. But can be used in the lightweight bag if you want to.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE