British DPM Gaiters-How do they fit? Help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
In a local surplus store they are selling British DPM gaiters. They are gore-tex, have a metal cable with rubber straps.

I could not for the life of me figure out how they fit under my boot. The cable seems way too long. I know there must be a way they fit, I just could not figure it out. :confused:

Anyone have any pics of how they go on?

Are they good gaiters? Any complaints about them?

Thank you.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I was about to dive in and say its easy, but your mention of a "metal cable" has got me flummoxed.
I have thought about modifying mine so that I have an elastic section under my boot with a clip to attach it to the holes on the opposite side instead of the woefull laces which fray and get icky when worn in the weather that dictates their use.
Is there a possibility that the set you saw has been modified by a squadie already - perhaps using the cable as a leg tie? :confused:
Certainly no complaints about my set but I'm not sure they are exactly the same!

Good luck

Ogri the trog

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The Good News : I know the ones you're on about. I had some a couple of years back.

The Bad News : Damned if I could work out that piece of cable either ! :lmao:

I cut the stuff off mine and replaced it with a piece of 20mm nylon webbing rivetted into place and with a really beefy pop-stud to do it up. Worked fine for a couple of trips then BOTH the main zips failed completely :confused:
I sent them back and got a full refund. The black webbing probably looked like an original part to whoever took them in and they couldn't argue about the zips anyway.

Sorry I can't help more but if someone here (perhaps someone who's used them "as issued") can tell us what yu are meant to do with that length of steel cable I too would be intrigued.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I don't know about "issued" gaiters, but I have a pair of MEC Gore-Tex gaiters that I use frequently. All I can say is that if the cable you're referring to is in a 'u' shape and hangs from the bottom of the gaiter, step into it backwards as it should rest where the bottom of your boot meets the elevated heel. The rest should be pretty straightforward, unless DPM gaiters are of a completely different design than I know of?

I hope this helps even a little bit,

Adam

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I think I know what you're talking about, I too was a bit puzzled when I first tried them on. Apparently the length of the cable is so you can fit them over snow boots (the snow boots would still have to be massive). With regular boots you're supposed to just wrap the cable around your foot once before you tie them. That's what I do and they work fine. I'll try and post a picture later if that doesn't clear things up.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I've had a pair issued but have only ever worn them once. It seemed fairly simple at the time to put them on.

Put the gaitors on a zip them up (hook onto laces). The straps should be dangling down either side of you feet. Now pull each one under the boot and across to the opposite side of the boot that they are hanging from (the steel cables should now be under you feet in the cleft of the heel). Pull the straps over the top of the boot and secure through the fastener, tightening to fit. The plastic fastener should no be resting either on the side of your foot or on top of the gaitor fabric on top of your boot.

It should look like this picture.

Please note that apparently the latest issue of gaitors either has string ties or no fasteners at all (the Gov. has been trying to save some cash from the sounds of things).

Beer Monster said:
I've had a pair issued but have only ever worn them once. It seemed fairly simple at the time to put them on.

Put the gaitors on a zip them up (hook onto laces). The straps should be dangling down either side of you feet. Now pull each one under the boot and across to the opposite side of the boot that they are hanging from (the steel cables should now be under you feet in the cleft of the heel). Pull the straps over the top of the boot and secure through the fastener, tightening to fit. The plastic fastener should no be resting either on the side of your foot or on top of the gaitor fabric on top of your boot.

It should look like this picture.

Please note that apparently the latest issue of gaitors either has string ties or no fasteners at all (the Gov. has been trying to save some cash form the sounds of things).

Thank you! That makes perfect sense. I did not think to have them loop twice so the buclkle would be on top.

They seem to be really well made.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Ridge Runner said:
Thank you! That makes perfect sense. I did not think to have them loop twice so the buclkle would be on top.

They seem to be really well made.

Glad to be of help.

Can't really comment on use as mine have sat in a bag for the last 8 years or so. The fabric does seem tough and the steel/rubber straps seem durable although it looks as though (from previous comments below) some may have issues with the zips breaking. It would be worth giving them a close inspection in the shop, maybe try doing them up and down a few times ...... quite savagely .... to see what happens :D !

B

bluemountaingunworks

I too have a pair of these and they seem to be a very hearty piece of gear. They are currently selling on the U.S. surplus market in the $15-$20 range. I have worn mine all season and have had no problems other than the long cable you've all been discussing. Thanks Beer Monster for clarifying how to fasten! I did a similar thing by just wrapping around my ankle and fastening there. Either way, these should provide you with a lot of serious use before needing to be repaired/replaced. God Bless! Jerry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE