british big cats - your views

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
approx 5 weeks ago i found what appeared to be cat faeces larger than regular moggie and full of fur and very strong smelling then approx 3 weeks ago in a different location approx 3 mile on the other side of the valley from the faeces i found the remains of a carcass of a female roe deer approx 8ft off the ground in a tree I only notice it after seeing crows hanging around and finally the lower potion of a front leg on the ground under the tree I continued walking throught the area with my two springadors and left for home a week later i passed the location walking the dogs and the carcass was completely gone exept for the front leg portion. after thorough search I found no other sign of the carcass no pelt bones skull the carcass had been taken from the tree and away. a fox would be unable to climb the tree if the crows had dislodged the carcass to the ground a fox would have left the remains of pelt skull bones scattered in situ. leaving either human interferance or a large animal cable of climbing trees and carrying away a large carcass.

There has been a lot of speculation about the so-called "Durham Puma" in the last 15-20 years. Looking at the large tracts of woodland along the valleys of the rivers Wear, Tees, Gaunless, Browney, Derwent, Greta etc it's not hard to imagine a colony of feral big cats existing in the wild. Just think yourself lucky the inmates of Lambton Lion Park never broke free :)

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
After hearing a report down here in dorset about regular sightings in abbottsbury, I got interested enough to go there and did some tracking. I know people walk dogs in the area, but some areas are untouched.

I did find some tracks which I followed for some time ( during my weeks holiday from work and was from first light to dusk) and they went from farms to the Swannery and back on a regular basis. I even found bird and small dog size carcases. The scatts that i found around these were calcified. It surprised me how neat these carcases were laid out sortof in a small bundle.

I stopped after I felt that I was also being watched and tracked by something in the bushes. Quite scary really. I think I got too close to it. The only thing i saw besides shadows and moving branches was a tail sticking out above a bush and when measured later was around 2 feet above it, and the bush stood around a foot high.

I have a picture which I emailed to a group in the local area who comfirmed it was not a dog due to the pads and as it was all wrong for our household pets. The pad was big, all i had at the time was a pack of fags, superkings, which i placed first horizontal took a pic and then placed vertical and took a pic. The box of fags measured around 4" long, the pad was bigger in all directions!!.

I would advise anyone who wishes to track something of this nature , does so as only evidence gathering, I tracked it to find it, and I think I got to close and was lucky.

Bushy

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Did.nt one of Gordon Ramseys lambs get killed on the Beckems estate by what experts believed to be a big cat its not that long ago that you were allowed to keep exotic pets big cats included a guy I know up north had a pair of timber wolves

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When richard and judy interviewed RM, at the end of the interview richard (intellectual heavyweight that he is) ask ray if he believed big cats exist in britain. Ray replied "Yes. I have seen them one more than one occasion." Ok it might of been RM winding richard up. As I have said before a reliable freind of my sister has seen one in pembrokeshire, also our local news had footage of big cat in an industrial estate in telford. This footage was irrefutably clear. The cat was the size of the front the car, its head was small, but was very clearly a big cat. However what I can find on internet has being the same footage fuzzied up. The orginal cctv footage you could read the number on the car.

Humans allegdly smell like they taste bad to cats, we are also quite salty.

Oct 30, 2003
Cornwall
As always, it is difficult to interprete tracks without putting them into context.
The tracks are feline, there are lots of reasons for this. The rear foot shows that one of the digits is longer than the others. The rear pads have three clear lobes and the general compression shape is round. The appearance of claws in mud is fairly normal for cats to get traction. The claws marks are more fine than the coarse claw of a dog.
The claws of a cat( domestic and wild) usually are evident in the track just before pouncing , either in play or before it pounces, or jumps into the air to attack prey.
The jumping into the air to take its prey can categorise the kind of cat it is.
I have attended several kills and sightings in the UK, and have tracked all the cat species in the world.
I also presented Big Cat Track for Discovery and interviewed several people who had footage.
Evidence is like a peice of rope, the more twine, the stronger the rope is.
Putting everything into context, I am sure that exotic cats do exist in the UK.
I have compiled a list of the cats, that I have seen spoor for in the UK and I have tracked in their own habitat.
The evidence does seem to indicate hotspots in the UK.
As regards the track in the pics and given the size, I have tracked a similar set of tracks to the where the cat lives, and have kept an eye on the lair over the last couple of years.
Pm and I will give you more info.
There is lots of hoax evidence out there, which in part is responsible for people being sceptical.
By the way all Shadowhawk Intermediate Trackers are able to distinguish cat tracks,from canine( not always that simple) and if there are any further sightings, tracks, I have a list of trackers who would be more than happy to do some tracking.
Max
Shadowhawk

thewanderer

Sep 24, 2008
stanley county durham
there was an article recenlty in one of the big uk papers regarding official sightings and confirmation of bog cat species residing in the uk

wardens in the forest of dean have reported numerous sightings over a period and collected evidence whist performing deer counts in the dean and reportedly have gotten within 50 yards of the cat on occasions.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
What if they are not being release, but illegal animals are "taken for a walk" by their owners. I read an account of a man who had a pet leopard taking it for a walk late one night, and it killed a dog. If I had a pet leopard, I'd want to watch it running around.

If they are free, where do they all go? I can believe that they have escaped or been released, but why are big cat corpses and big cat poo not found? How much does a puma eat? A sheep every three days would get noticed pretty soon. and just one sample of poo sent to a lab would have us an answer.

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
i have seen the tooth fairy anyone else, our country is so over populated, i think the latest figures are 15 people per sq kilometer, ( will check), if there were big cats living out there there would be much more evidence as the ammount they need to live on the would be many more kills, i spend 98% of my life out in the open moors all over this country by way of my job, and what my landrover wont make i have to do on foot, so many big cat prints ? are really big dog prints without definition, yes there might have been one or two escapes from zoo's over the years or the odd illegal release but starvation would have driven them to search for food in more populated areas making them more likely to be spotted, as usual rumors spread like wild fire.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Whether you believe if there are any big cats at large in the english countryside is a bit irrelevent really.....the fact is it is highly unlikely and there have been more than enough reasons mentioned above....

If you think about it logically......where would they have come from? Circus or Zoo...sorry but they are not going to let an expensive commodity like a big cat escape and not get it back, which they will.... the only other possibility is....a private owner releasing one....I think you'd be very hard pressed to find a private owner especially in recent years and it would be doubtfull if after going to the expense would then just let it go!

Although it's not inconcieveable that some could have escaped in years gone by, these days it would be difficult to get one and there would be a fair bit of paperwork attached, so the first thing that would happen is someone would be round to do a headcount!

There are other than exotics that could be out there, but hardly big cats, some domestic moggies can get quite large and as stated can look even larger with no reference at hand.

Lets just suppose that a puma did get free......it will need to eat....not once reglarly....so when it finds an easy prey it will go back time and time again....which means it will be provide the chance for a no mistake spot and a capture.......

It will also make tracks....not one....loads four at a time.....

and it will leave some of its meals....not once.....regularly......

it will also return to a regular resting spots to digest those meals, not once regularly.....

The only thing they would do once would be die!

these are typical traits of any animal.... which is what enables us the catch them in the first place......even man does the same!

In short, if there ever where or are now big cats out there, then there would be much more evidence than the odd incidental tale....

And some farmer would ahve bagged it before he lost the whole flock!

Smoggy.

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
Purely as a matter of interest - how many skeletons of the big cats that have lived and died here have been found?

looking around on the british big cats website
there is a picture of a skull also it said "The Skull found by a Devon farmer in July 2005 that has now been identified as that of a puma"

but apparantly there are many footprint casts which are from lynxs and other such creatures

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
Crop circles, big cats they are no brainers really, Devon Farmer found skull of a puma, "Yeah Right" one he bought or found in a flea market More like, not to mention his free publicity he did not own a farm shop by any chance did he?

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
Crop circles, big cats they are no brainers really, Devon Farmer found skull of a puma, "Yeah Right" one he bought or found in a flea market More like, not to mention his free publicity he did not own a farm shop by any chance did he?

haha that could well be true

but personally i believe there are

just for the simple reason that many people have taken photos which have been comfirmed

as real animals...

take alook on the website

there is quite an entertaining letter written to someone who gave in a fake picture.

covertcraft

Feb 6, 2009
Milton Keynes
Good thread, some interesting debates going on here! after reading all the posts i'm staying on the fence for now! love to see some hard evidence and agree that it would be great to see one up close (but not to close).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE