British army machette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter Pan

Jan 9, 2006
Acton, London
Just been given off a mate a full tang army issue stainless steel and sheath about 14 inches long stainless steel machette. Have done a bit of research and would cost about £15. However it is so blunt it is untrue and very hard to get a good edge. Are these any good and can it be given a sound cutting edge.

So far all it has been good for has been the sheath for wafting an open fire.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
you need to reprofile the edge to make it any good hard work with a file but doable or use a flapper disc and a grinder keep dipping blade into a bucket of water though

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
One of these?

If so I have one, it is a good tool! It took me an age to put an edge on it "corse oil stones" but with a bit of work you can get it to a good edge!

You can almost shave with mine!

Trevody

May 30, 2005
North Lincolnshire
If it is a regular much abused standard issue machette I dought that it is stainless steel, takes a lot of work but you can get a reasonable adge with patience. :)

Trev

Feb 9, 2006
wiltshire
hi
i have one too-pretty usefull.
i a good edge with a granfors axe file, falkniven dc04 diamond stone then cermamic then i stropped with a piptoporous betulinus-razor strop fungi on the birches.
lot of work though!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Trevody said:
If it is a regular much abused standard issue machette I dought that it is stainless steel, takes a lot of work but you can get a reasonable adge with patience. :)

Trev

Trevody,

good point! it is not stainless, high carbon of some sort!

Makes a wiked shower of sparks though! :lmao: :D

trauma

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Midlands, UK
www.razortooth.co.uk
i have a Golock 2000, same kinda thing and i think they are a great tool. I got it new and found the Edge was fantastic...in the middle, but the rest of the grind was pants. After some re-working i got a good scandi on the full edge, and i often take this out instead of a small axe.

Wolf: i also heard that too - maybe make a new handle this summer and bear it in mind :)

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Troops heads up! The Army machette (tree club, tree banger) is being replaced by the Jungle knife on general issue. It only took the army 40 years to realise that the machette was not that good. Many soldiers serving in the tropics / jungle get their own. As a rule of thumb see what the locals are usng and do the same. I will try to find the NSN for the jungle knife if anyone is interested.

leon-1

I thought he was looking for what is going to replace the Martindale, Golok, Machete, Tree Beater or whatever people are calling it now.

I have used one of the issue machetes, I agree that the ones which are made locally (parangs) are normally a better choice, but squaddies have to make do with what is available to them and the majority of the time that was it. The other thing being that if you lose it(heaven forbid), damage it or destroy it the QM (probably grudginlgy) will replace it, unlike your private purchase model.

If they are properly cared for the "Tree Beater" is a very capable tool, if you use one a lot they become a good tool

Yes they are cheap and cheerfull (they certainly are not made by valiant), they will do the job just as well if you know what you are doing with one (familiarity with the tool allows you to know its good / bad points and overcome them).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE