British army issue water bottle.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I was you I would just stick with the stainless steel crusader cup, they are heat resistant which means you can use them as a billycan aswell as on the crusader stove or hexi burner, in fact any small stove you have!

As for the issue black plastic - lasts forever - bottle you can't beat them I was issued mine in 1990 and they are still going strong, and I have a couple that I had before I joined the army!!

I don't rate the american canteen and mug as highly as the British version, I had the aluminium bottle and it split.

I hope this helps you Swede.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
gregorach said:
This is probably a good time to plug my crafty crusader cup hanger again... I'm rather proud of it! :) No metal, no drilling, no chains - just a stick!

Now that's a neat trick. I'd probably make a mess and put the fire out! :eek:

Usually I just nestle the cup at the edge of the fire if I want to heat something up (not sure I'd want to cook in it - bit too small for my liking) and it's usually boiling within a couple of minutes....

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm pretty sure you can get a quicker boil with less firewood if you get the cup over the fire. Not a problem if you've already got a cracking blaze going, but handy sometimes.

A trick I used to use for a brew off very little wood was to find two flattish stones about the same height, sit 'em next to each other so that the cup sits happily across a gap of a couple of inches, and then light a very small fire underneath. A handful of dry twigs will get you a brew provided you feed it carefully - it's all about keeping the flames the right size.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've got a Natick stove for my canteen cup and bottle. I usually just burn a half of a hexy tab under it and supplement it with thin twigs. It gets a brew going half way decently.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Sorry to bring this up again.

Where can you buy the stainless steel version? I see the plastic bottle version on outdoorcode but don't know where to get the steel one :confused:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
gunnix said:
Sorry to bring this up again.

Where can you buy the stainless steel version? I see the plastic bottle version on outdoorcode but don't know where to get the steel one :confused:

If you're talking about the stainless steel crusader mug: also available @ Outdoorcode.
If you're talking about a stainless steel bottle ... dunno :confused: On occassion they pop-up on E-bay. They are old, very old ... IIRC they date back to somewhere around WW2 :eek: Though I could be wrong on this one :rolleyes:

HTH

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
ah ok, if there's no new steel bottle I won't bother. Ij ust use a coloured plastic 0.5l bottle (spa water) with a round steel cup fitting around the base ;). But I'd really like a steel bottle, thought it'd be handy to put hot drinks in and insulate with a woolen sock around it. Or to put hot water in and put at the feet at night.. also just like steel more then plastic.

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
Gunnix,
it may interest you to know that I used to regularly fill my black plastic waterbottle from the BV (boiling vessel) in the vehicles, stuff it in a sock and use it as a hot water bottle. Just the thing for those long Soltau nights.

It's warm enough when you get up to wash/shave with, too.

And for the record, I owned an '85 pattern mug ( with the plastic lip ) The lip burned first outing and split ( I forgot to take it off. ) It was pants, and I don't regret giving the mug away for a second.
Next I got a Stainless mug, and it's probably one of the best bits of kit I have. I've had it for maybe 12 years, and it's faultless. I've regularly scrubbed the grime off it with the sand at the bottom of whatever stream I'm washing up in. Try that with a teflon.

I also bought one of those cooker thingies to fit, which is OK. I wanted stainless, but they sent teflon.

The first time I lit it up with hexy, half the teflon burned off. I made a little pepsi-can stove that fit it. More teflon came off. I burned it up with sand and petrol. There was barely any teflon left, so I chucked it on a fire and burned the rest off.

Now it's stainless.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
desert_emperor said:
Hi All,
I have read in a few places now that the teflon coating on the crusader mug chips off very easily and that you might as well just buy the un-coated version.

Any experiences or thoughts???
I orderd an ally one last year but they were out of stock and sent the back one instead. Initially little black flecks kept coming off in my food but I gave it a good rub with a spongtex plastic scrubber and I havn't noticed any since.

Its simple, efficient, reasonably priced and resiliant, what more could you want :)

Z

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
DISCO said:
Just for interest you can make a 35mm film container water filter(black ones with grey top)The top fits snugly onto the bottle opening.If i can help with any other questions ask away. :)
How did I miss this little nugget, come on then Disco, tell me more. Plans, photos hints all welcome!

Cheers

Ogri the trog

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I got an aluminium cup from Highlander. It fits the bottle ok. However, I find that aluminium conducts heat better than stainless steel - so the rim is too hot to drink out of. I havent had this problem with stainless steel cups.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE