British army issue water bottle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
Hi! I have a few questions about the water bottle.What kind of material in the cup and why the four horizontal "markings" in the middle around the bottle (four of them is seen just above the copyright "C" text on the picture)?
http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/10481.html
About the cup, I´ve heard that there is a teflon coating on the inside and metal outside. /Swede :cool:

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
the four raised lumps just hold the cup in place when its on the bottle as for what its made out of ....sorry dont know some hard plastic but what type i dont know .Hope it helps

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
@ firebreather

Thanks! About the cup, I wondered if it was possible to warm water in it directly. I´m sure of I´ve seen a esbit burner (or something like it) which fits a cup similar to the one in the picture, /Swede

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Swede
Most British Forces just get the plastic cup as in your picture, its not that great and cant be used to heat stuff in.
The one I think your after is the metal issue one which is only issued to units who spend more time in the field. These are avalible from surplus shops and Ray Mears's site, they are made from aluminium. Some companys make copies which maybe not as good and are not genuine issue? In the nineties Survival Aids of Penrith made a non stick version, I still have one of these ten years later, along with an ali one both are great on the stove or fire. Ta ed

Feb 10, 2007
London
Hi All,
I have read in a few places now that the teflon coating on the crusader mug chips off very easily and that you might as well just buy the un-coated version.

Any experiences or thoughts???

Cheer....P

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The coating on mine lasted a good wee while and is only missing from the bottom as I used to use a metal spoon. To be honest though I think its a bit superflous anyway as if im doing any real cooking I use a steel billy. I only really use the mug for hot drinks. Ta ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Just as a side note, I was given mine by a friend of the family when i was 11 years old and in the cub scouts.... I still use it today..... 22 years later... as far as I'm concerned its a great piece of kit and will last you a long time :D .....

As for the teflon on the cups, I cant comment as I have the stainless steel version, but I have the new cooker which is teflon coated, and its peeling away. I also have the old style hexi cooker with the top attachment so the metal mug fits in there.... and that is ok (not great, but usable.)

:)
Ed

DISCO

Aug 18, 2004
SCOTLAND
Hi Swede, i have the full set up .Bottle ,plastic mug, metal mug and round burner.It's pretty compact when fitted together.The burner is very solid as it isn't hinged as such (apart from the cross piece that acts as cup stand) like a hexi or esbit.Don't know what the bottle is made of but seems to be very hard plastic.As far as the metal mug i use a cut down wooden spoon as metal will chip it quickly.Just for interest you can make a 35mm film container water filter(black ones with grey top)The top fits snugly onto the bottle opening.If i can help with any other questions ask away. :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Actually, it's not a simple plastic. Army issue bottles are made from HDPE - High Density Polyethylene. It's a porous material, which explains why plastic bottles/canteens tend to retain the odours of the liquids placed in them. This issue can readily be fixed by filling them with hot water and either a tablespoon of lemon juice or baking soda. Swish everything around, let it sit for an hour, rinse, and the bottle is clean. HDPE has a low resistance to heat and it's not a very good idea to fill army canteens with hot liquids. It effects the molecular structure and you end up with a very hot, very soft bottle.

Modern canteens such as the Nalgene brand are made of Lexan, which is a polycarbonate that is extremely impact resistant. Nalgene has a very high resistance to heat and does not retain odours.

I have both types, a CF issue canteen and a 1 liter Nalgene bottle. I prefer my canteen. It's cheaper, tougher, and it's not even worth a third of what the Nalgene bottle is. I just have to be careful not to put anything in the army HDPE bottle except for water.

I hope this helps!

Adam

Reactions: Ahjno

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
Thanks you all! I managed to buy an old aluminium US water bottle a while ago. It comes with a cup and on the inside of the pouch it says 1941. To bad the set aren´t in stainless. /Swede

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have one of these bottles though I don't use it much as it leaks. The lid doesn't screw onto the bottle very well.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Zammo said:
I have one of these bottles though I don't use it much as it leaks. The lid doesn't screw onto the bottle very well.

Have you perhaps lost the rubber ring that seals it?

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
gregorach said:
Have you perhaps lost the rubber ring that seals it?

There isn't one on it, I think I bought it in that condition, probably from some dodgy army surplus shop.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
There a 4 seperate mugs available for the UK waterbottle.
First off is the matching black plastic mug that fits on the top.
Next is a teflon coated aluminium mug with a removable plastic lip called the '85 pattern. It fits on top and the lip stops burns and makes it easy to clean.
Thirdly is the Crusader mug in stainless steel which fits on the bottom of the bottle.
Lastly is the teflon coated version of the Crusader.
The stainless is the best option as you can abuse it without any teflon coming off. I never found the teflon that much of a bonus.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
I have both the stainless steel "mug" and the bottle. Got a cammo pouch that they sit in neatly.

I've used the mug directly over a fire and stove before and no problems (although you need to remember to use suitable insulation e.g. gloves when you're picking it up!!! :eek: :yikes: :eek: :lmao: )

Would never try this with plastic, for obvious reasons. Had to clean it out with Bicarbonate of soda to remove odours (particularly onions for some reason) from time to time.

Be careful though - it's huge so if there's a group brew on be polite and don't nick all the hot water or..... :twak:

Phil

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
PhilParry said:
Would never try this with plastic, for obvious reasons. Had to clean it out with Bicarbonate of soda to remove odours (particularly onions for some reason) from time to time.

Washing soda will strip tea stains out of the stainless mugs if it is left to sit for a while.

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
PhilParry said:
I have both the stainless steel "mug" and the bottle. Got a cammo pouch that they sit in neatly.

I've used the mug directly over a fire and stove before and no problems (although you need to remember to use suitable insulation e.g. gloves when you're picking it up!!! :eek: :yikes: :eek: :lmao: )

Be careful though - it's huge so if there's a group brew on be polite and don't nick all the hot water or..... :twak:

Phil

I managed to find different styles of cups at Silvermans :D. Very nice stuff. Big risk that I will order from them in the future. /Swede

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE