British Army issue Tin opener (the one found in the old tin rations 1980’s)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
British Army issue Tin opener (the one found in the old tin rations 1980’s)

Lost mine -had for years, desperate to find another.
Unbelievably a highlander one bought was so blunt and useless it couldn’t piece the tin.

A copy GI one by Mil Com, the metal bent in my hand on the first tin I tried to open

(just as well I tried these at home as out on a hill walk would be bad).

HELP any idea where I can buy an original Rat pack one?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've had a number, like yours, that have not been up to the mark, however the one that came as part of the "Keychain Trio" from Heinnies has given faultless service for more than a year of regular use. They also do a BCB can opener but I don't know how well that performs.

ATB

Ogri the trog

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've never had either of the ones mentioned but understand the fury related to crappy compact ones failing in the field, so far the one on the SAK Camper has been faultless, there are many videos demonstrating this on youtube

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Will give the BCB tin opener a try and hope they are not inferior copies as well.

I bought a pack of two years ago and still have mine. They are made in Canada apparently and are made of carbon steel. Can't recall if they are stamped with that but it says so on the box. So.. atleast they aren't chinese knock offs.

I would say, sharpen it too, not overly but enough to get the cutting part a bit more smooth as they are stamped steel.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Rummaged through a couple of ten man ration boxes, finding a couple loose at the bottom. Not seen a ten man box for over a year now:confused:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I'll second the Gelert one, mine came sharp and with a bottle opener on the other end. There are still a few cutting about the stores in the old greaseproof so you may be able to be the genuine one on ebay etc..

Tonyuk

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Dammit there was one on the 'fridge and I've just looked for it and it's gone!

I bet it's dropped down the back - that will be a nightmare to get back.

If I ever find it I'll send it to you. :)

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
All of these are very good although the p38 is somewhat smaller. Had the British ratpack one 33years and its still used in our kitchen weekly.
attachment.php

Australian on left, Brit in middle, p38 right.
Riven.

Attachments

• new 016.jpg
    new 016.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 264

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
I have 2 of them, from when I was in the TA(Royal Engineers) in the early eighties.
One is on a keychain the other is in a survival box.
The one in front of me now has stamped into it:
1979 - W.P.W 'BROADARROW SYMBOL' 129 - 9982
So I guess it was made in 1979.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I can attest to the quality of the original Australian ones, had mine since the early 70's and still going strong.
Unfortunately I've been searching for it for the last 2 years since moving house.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
A word to the wide about FRED's. There are many Chinese knocks out there and simply are a waste of money. I was duped into buying a couple and they were all but useless made from soft steel and the blade was so blunt it was unable to open a can of beans assuming the handle didn't bend first.

A friend sent some from Australia and these are great. He told me the easiest was to tell a good FRED was the two deep long ridges stamped into the handle. Knock off's have shallow shorter ridges.

Good FRED.
FRED.jpg

Knock off FRED
91qhSecPJBL._SX425_.jpg

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I wish I could get my hands on a couple of these tin openers, used them back in the day and they were bulletproof fair play

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE